Bodymedia and insanity

Options
I'm starting to wonder if bodymedia is worth anything.

40min pure cardio insanity workout it said I only burned 300 calories.
I have a hard time believing that.
I'm 6'1 165lbs and I keep up most the way with little break.

Anyone else have one with different results?

Replies

• jessicapetert23
    jessicapetert23 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing the insanity workout? You tend to burn less calories the more your body gets used to a workout.
  • melacaron
    melacaron Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft6 and weigh 164lbs, I am on week 6 of Insanity and doing Pure cardio and cardio abs which ends up being around 50min (i tend to skip the cool down at the end) and my Polar FT4 tells me I burn 536 calories.
  • ptyriver
    Options
    On and off for 3 months.
    I don't follow the actual schedule. Days I don't do instantly I goto the gym and do 60mins in the elliptical and 1/2 hour circuit training.

I'm covered in sweat when I'm done with insanity and work a lot harder.
    I burn around the same working a lot less on the elliptical.
    According to the bodymedia device.

I had a polar tf7 - lost the transmitter when I first started was usually around 600-700.

The elipticals at the gym let you enter weight and have built in HRM and say I usually burn 300 every 1/2hr.
    I know tuff call on how accurate they are.

It wouldn't matter if the readings were closer together but it's kinda a big span.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options
    what i would do is find the transmitter (or buy a new one) for your polar hrm and wear it along with the bmf while doing insanity and see if its different. if it is, add the difference to your activity manager on the BMF site. or you could just add it to the exercise log on here ... not sure if the bmf syncing overrides that or not.
    ive only been wearing my BMF for about a week and ive never done insanity, but i did the above when i exercised earlier
  • CoachJake83
    Options
    Sounds like it could be right. Or your HRM was disconnecting a few times during the workout and not counting calories.

Tallying exercise calories is futile though, as exercise causes you to burn calories around the clock (way more than during)
  • ptyriver
    Options
    I did 1/2hr circuit at my gym today which was half cardio and half weight lifting and it register vigorous activity the entire time but during insanity it was all moderate except for 10mins that registered vigorous.

I also did 60 minutes on the elliptical with a 5min cool down and it registered 365 calories burned on bodymedia with an average heartrate at 125-130 and I was also reading/answering questions for an up coming test for about 50mins of it.
    The elliptical itself registered about 640 calories but i never had a continua reading on it since I needed my hands to answer questions on my ipad.

I'm going to continue my routine thought the week and see what they read each day.