hmph...should i stop working out?

Options
2»

Replies

• lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    never. stop. working. out. if you just diet and dont exercise, youll end up being skinny but skinny fat with no muscle. dieting (reducing caloric intake) will make your body use up both fat AND muscle. working out makes your body burn off much more fat than muscle though. not to mention, more muscle means more calorie burning as the tissue needs more energy than fat.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Plateau is a lie.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    To me, exercise is much more than just controlling your weight. It is vital for heart health, joint function, muscle tone, and bone mass. If you lose those things in your youth, you can not get them back in your old age. My grandmother shrunk 5 inches after age 70. My mom stopped exercising in her early 40s.. now in her late 60s she is having bone loss, loss of flexibility, loss of rangle of motion in her joints, and other things. I watched my mother-in-law develop a hunched back that was a direct result of a lack of muscle tone in her back muscles. You can't stop time, but you can control how you experience it.

Yeah, i doubt ill ever stop exercising forever. I have heart issues on my dad's side of the family, diabetes and weight issues on my mom's side. I got blessed with my dad's genes so i'm skinnier naturally, as opposed to my sister who isn't. I love exercising, id just like to see a couple more lbs drop off before i begin maintaining weight.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    To me, exercise is much more than just controlling your weight. It is vital for heart health, joint function, muscle tone, and bone mass. If you lose those things in your youth, you can not get them back in your old age. My grandmother shrunk 5 inches after age 70. My mom stopped exercising in her early 40s.. now in her late 60s she is having bone loss, loss of flexibility, loss of rangle of motion in her joints, and other things. I watched my mother-in-law develop a hunched back that was a direct result of a lack of muscle tone in her back muscles. You can't stop time, but you can control how you experience it.

Yeah, i doubt ill ever stop exercising forever. I have heart issues on my dad's side of the family, diabetes and weight issues on my mom's side. I got blessed with my dad's genes so i'm skinnier naturally, as opposed to my sister who isn't. I love exercising, id just like to see a couple more lbs drop off before i begin maintaining weight.

My mom has two different heart conditions, one of her brothers died of a very sudden heart attack, her other brother had a heart attack then heart surgery then a stroke. It scares the hell out of me. Sadly I got my mom's shape with my dad's weight on it. All of my health history has mirrored my mom. So, yeah the heart stuff is something I keep in mind too.

Just let yourself relax a bit. It's OK to not have exercise be the Number 1 thing on your list of priorities. Just keep it in the Top 5.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    Options
    If you burn more calories than you consume, you will lose weight. Plateau is a lie.

mmk...well then help me. i originally was eating 1200-1300 calories a day working out 5 days a week, loosing nothing. So i upped it to 1600-1700 calories and still worked out 5 days a week, cardio and strength. Still lost nothing? So i read things about taking a break so your metabolism can "catch up" and adjust and breaking out of a plateau. SO whats a suggestion if what i've been doing has done nothing?
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Stick to the increased calories.. do weights 3-4 times a week and cardio only 1-2 times a week! :)
  • MarshaMole
    MarshaMole Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bump