how many grams of sugar per day

Options

Replies

• sharlenethornton
    Options
    Hi all, I seem to struggle with my sugar intake as well. I'm always going over , not by much, but enough to make me wonder. I have a thyroid problem and take Synthroid for it, so I need to watch my weight. I also quit smoking a year and a half ago and have been on the gradual incline in weight. I'm not happy with my weight. I seem to yo-yo right around the same weight. Up and down within a 5 pound span. I just started doing Zumba on my WII to help me. So far it seems to help. I just wish I could see quicker results but I know that's not feasible. Slow and steady it will be. Have an awesome day all.
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you don't have any medical issues don't worry about sugar.

I personally don't believe the whole "good" sugar, "bad" sugar mentality. If it were true then I would never have been able to lose weight and get healthy. For me fiber rich fruits and veggies are detrimintal to my health so for me these would be "bad" sugars
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I dont track sugar, as I don't have a medical condition that requires me too.
  • cathyg321
    cathyg321 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Never tracked a gram of sugar through 300+ lbs. of weight loss.... I track calories and my 3 main macro's Protein, Carbs, and Fat.... Best of Luck...

Thanks for the advice, and inspiration! HUGE congratulations on your weight loss!! :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • gbreault87
    Options
    im no health expert and i certainly have to get in shape/healthy myself but in my opinion go for diet coke instead of coke you will be saving your self at least 150 calories if its a 120z can more if its a bottle and the red bull i think that you should drink black coffee it has 0 calories and has plenty of caffine and it has tons of antioxidants there have been tests done that coffee has more anti oxidants than any other fruit blueberies, ect... its an acquired taste but you will start to like it trust me all that creamer and sugar prob makes it worse than the red bull so keep it black
  • evolvevlove
    Options
    This is a good article that breaks down sugar guidelines based on empirical evidence.

http://www.rodalenews.com/recommended-sugar-intake

Keep in mind that if weight loss is the only goal, this can be achieved merely by tracking calories and macronutrients, but if HEALTH is the goal then you will need to pay attention to micronutrients, phytonutrients, antioxidants, fiber, sugar content etc. I find it interesting when people say that one should not be concerned about sugar unless they have a medical condition that requires sugar vigilance, how do you think people got these medical conditions in the first place?

Also, the safety of artificial sweeteners has until recently been contingent upon short-term studies. However, a long-term study that was released last year observed safety concerns. "...a recent large study that assessed aspartame intake throughout the life span in rats suggested an increased risk of lymphomas, leukemias, and transitional cell carcinomas of the pelvis, ureter, and bladder in a dose-dependent manner within ranges that are considered to be safe for human consumption..."

References:

Aune, D. (2012). Soft drinks, aspartame, and the risk of cancer and cardiovascular disease. The American journal of clinical nutrition, 96(6), 1249-1251.
  • lululu22
    Options
    You are overweight for your height. I also am about 5' 2" and weigh 106. For example, if you want to weigh 130 lbs, multiply that times 10 which equals 1300 calories per day. In that case, the most added sugar grams you should eat would be 26 per day. 20 would be preferable. I can only consume 1300 per day and not gain weight at my height. If you cut your calories by 300-400 calories per day, you will be in better health. Be careful not to overdo the protein - too much can harm your kidneys.
  • centauriod
    Options
    According to the American Heart Association (AHA), the maximum amount of added sugars you should eat in a day are (7):

Men: 150 calories per day (37.5 grams or 9 teaspoons).
    Women: 100 calories per day (25 grams or 6 teaspoons).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Try to stay away from added sugar, granulated sugar, and the like. Stick with the natural sugars from foods, and in my opinion, eat as much as you like.
    How do you think the body differentiates between added sugar and natural sugar?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options

I find it interesting when people say that one should not be concerned about sugar unless they have a medical condition that requires sugar vigilance, how do you think people got these medical conditions in the first place?

Theres something to think about . Same with salt maybe ? I dont have the answer though .
  • Tigg_er
    Options
    Try to stay away from added sugar, granulated sugar, and the like. Stick with the natural sugars from foods, and in my opinion, eat as much as you like.

I dont think the body can, I belive the sugar from fruits and such comes along with extra nutrients and fiber that to me would be more benificial ?
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

I dont think the body can, I belive the sugar from fruits and such comes along with extra nutrients and fiber that to me would be more benificial ?
    Do you believe you would not get adequate amounts of those nutrients and fibers if you included 'added sugar, granulated sugar, and the like' in your diet? Alternately, do you believe there's a quantifiable benefit to exceeding your body's requirements for those nutrients and fibers?
  • Tigg_er
    Options

I dont think the body can, I believe the sugar from fruits and such comes along with extra nutrients and fiber that to me would be more benificial ?
    Do you believe you would not get adequate amounts of those nutrients and fibers if you included 'added sugar, granulated sugar, and the like' in your diet? Alternately, do you believe there's a quantifiable benefit to exceeding your body's requirements for those nutrients and fibers?

I guess that would depend on what you would be eating that contained the added sugars and granulated sugars and how much of it that you are consuming, if it was say just tsp's of sugar added to something or say the sugar in a soda then I would say no. I really dont know if there are any benefits to exceeding the body"s requirements.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    if you are maintaining your calorie deficit then I would not really worry about it..

you can eat sugar, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight…

sugar is not evil...
  • ndj1979
    Options

bahahahahaha pray tell, what is the difference between added sugar and non added sugar?????
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I also eat a lot of fruit, so most times I go over my recommended sugar intake. However, I rarely if ever use sugar and I substitute water for beverages. Fruit sugars are way better for you and come naturally in the correct portion as opposed to a soda that may have over 16 tsp of sugar. Hope this helps...

why is fruit sugar better than regular sugar? when you break them all down to the molecular level they all look the same…

this always amuses me...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I was worried about my sugar intake and talked to my DR about it. He said he could care less how much sugar I take in as long as it is from fruits and such.

Junk sugar NO
    Fruit sugar YES

Thanks! This is good to know. I have been plateauing with my weight so I looked through my log and I am ALWAYS over in sugar. BUT, I eat LOTS of fruit. Now I am not freaking out so much after reading your post. Thanks! Now I just need to figure out how to lose these 4 pounds!! Maybe my body does not want to lose them??

if you are not losing it is not because of sugar intake…it is because you are OVEREATING on CALORIES…..wowzers the derp in this thread is amazing...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    if you are maintaining your calorie deficit then I would not really worry about it..

you can eat sugar, be in a calorie deficit, and lose weight…

sugar is not evil...

This.
  • Wifey7891
    Options
    I don't worry too much about sugar by itself, but remember that sugar = carbs. As long as you stay in macros for that you'll be fine.