Weighed in this morning and I am up 3 lbs!!!!! Why?

Options
2»

Replies

• Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Does the scale say "tut tut" when you gain or "yay" when you lose?
    I measured my weight daily for 8 months. In my premenstrual week I gain around 6 pounds then it drops off very quickly after a day or 2 due to water retention from cyclical hormonal changes. So hang in there and keep going.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Not to be invasive, but for women, weight can fluctuate anywhere between 1-5 pounds in the two weeks leading up to their period. So if you're in that window, that's another possibility. But water retention is very common in the first week(s) of working out, while your body adjusts to the new activity. Keep it up for another week and see what happens. And don't be too frustrated by the scale. Look also at how you feel and how you look to determine progress. In my first week, I gained 2 lbs, but then lost 2 inches, so... go figure. Now I'm on the decline, so it can only be good things from here, right?
  • COH1
    COH1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This may be a little OCD, but I weigh myself in the am and pm, everyday. That way I can track trends. I allow 3-5 pound variance from am to pm and day to day. I weigh more at night. Once you start to see the scale consistantly moving in one direction or another, I feel like that's when the scale is telling me the truth :)

This probably isn't a good habit for someone who can't accept that variance, or for someone who stresses over every ounce.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Measure your progress in a variety of ways:

Scale
    Body Measurements
    Profile Pictures
    Calipers/Body Fat Percentage

Whether you do it frequently or more spread apart depends on your reaction to normal variances.
  • QueenBeenita
    QueenBeenita Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond. it seems like most of you are weighing pretty regularly but are realistic about that 3-5 lb fluctuation that sometimes occurs. I want to make a lifestyle change that will enable me to lose the weight and keep it off. Honestly the talking scale is not a bad thing for me. I just can't allow the scale to totally dictate my success. I am going measure myself and just keep trying to eat a healthy and lower sodium diet
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    The scale is a fickle beast. I saw your diary and it doesn't look like you're tracking your salt intake, but saw some things that might have high salt content. So, I agree with those suggesting watter retention. Sometimes the work you put in shows up a week later too. Stay on track and see what your next weigh in says....
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    throw away your scale and measure your hips, waist, biceps, thighs, etc

That is exactly what I plan to do! And use body fat calipers too, but only monthly!
  • Inglesina94
    Options
    I weigh in on a weekly basis, every Sunday morning first thing. I find my weight fluctuates considerably in relation to what stage I am on my menstrual cycle. Maybe it could be a could be a combination of different factors?
  • baileysmom4
    baileysmom4 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I started looking at my salt intake after reading all the posts and I was shocked by my numbers. Cut it back one day and lost 3 pounds and 2.5 inches overnight!!!!! Amazing how much water you can hold onto. Oh, and I drank a ton of water that day too to flush out the sodium.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Having stuff in your small bowel and colon will also make your weight go up.