Why did you choose to join MFP?

Options
124»

Replies

• Hanfordrose
    Hanfordrose Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    people in Costco asked when the baby was due. This lady was over 300 pounds also. hahaha.....

Ouch! In 1979, I lost 99 pounds. In 1980, my former husband and I adopted a baby. During the next few months, several people commented..."That's right. You were pregnant the last time that I saw you!"

Well, they meant will. :ohwell:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I joined to get healthier. I want to see what I am eating and to be more accountable for what I eat. I had gastric bypass surgery almost 6 years ago which ended up being a wonderful decision for me. I have suffered from Psoriatic Arthritis since I was 13 years old and I was almost 300 pounds at the age of 25. My primary care doctor was concerned as I cannot exercise like others (arthritis is in both feet, both knees and recently, my hands) and some of the medicine side effects include weight gain. He told me I would be insulin dependent within a year and in a wheelchair by the age of 30 if we didn't do something soon. So I had gastric bypass and I am no longer borderline diabetic or hypoglycemic. My cholesterol and blood sugars are normal for the first time in at least 10 years. The joint pain has lessened since the weight loss after surgery. I had a severe arthritis flare that hit both hands a year and a half ago and ended up on a high dose of Prednisone and gained 30 pounds back. I finally got off all the medicine and the arthritis has for the most part leveled out to normal for me and I am in the process of loosing the weight I gained on the medicine. Once I get back to my lowest since the surgery I want to finish getting to my goal weight and then see if I can maintain it. I want continue my journey to a healthier me since the gastric isn't a solve it all solution like a lot of people think it is - it still takes work and exercise and being conscious of what you eat to ensure that you don't stretch your stomach back out or gain all the weight back.

You have been through a lot.

I have had arthritis in my hands and knees, since I was 11 years old. It showed in the x-ray, after an accident on a sled. At 68, my knees are pretty much ruined. I have noticed less pain, when I stand up with my walker. However, I have to remember that I am still a big risk for falling and fractures.

I know that you have a long journey still ahead of you, but I will pray for you little sister. :heart:
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    I have RA so, like you, I do not burn hundreds of calories a day like most others here.

One lady referred to Coma Calories...that would be the amount used by a person in a coma. That is pretty much me. Well, close. :laugh:
    I am a FIRM believer in doing what works for you so......
    I am set to 1280 calories a day and am at or under most days so I can eat on Fat Fridays and go out once in a while etc.Yes ( gasp) I have cheat days ( which I log) and it works for me.

We all have time, when there is something special that we want to do which might impact our food plan. I believe that we can still take certain steps to stay on track.

My birthday is next week. My hubbie wants to take me to lunch at a restaurant that I love...to have a meal that I haven't eaten, since I was at the wonderful place more than 10 years ago. I told the precautionary step of calling ahead and speaking to both the manager and the chef about my meal. Between the 3 of us, I will have that special meal...and it will NOT bust my calorie count for the day. I won't eat breakfast that morning...but I will have one divine birthday lunch and still have calories for a light snack and maybe some leftovers in the evening. That is the best of both worlds...a great birthday lunch and no guilt about my calories.

I do skip one meal every week. That is breakfast on Sundays. I can't use the bathroom at our little, old church. The bathrooms are down stairs, and I don't want to have my hubbie take me out of service for a potty break. Hopefully...in the future...our church will be getting a much needed renovation that will include better accommodations for handicapped folks. In the meantime, I don't want to be a distraction during service. So, I skip breakfast and wait for lunch after church at a local restaurant with my hubbie.

We all need to make some adjustments of our food plans to take into account our daily lives. However, we can also take steps to avoid sabotaging calorie count.
    I like your honest approach . Good luck with your weight loss and your new knees.

I was delighted today to find that I lost another 2.4 pounds last week. That is 2.4 more tiny steps toward my new knees.
  • ohenry78
    ohenry78 Posts: 228
    Options
    My motivation for weight loss actually started when I began reading Tyler's weight loss blog, www.344pounds.com. (Sorry, I hope this doesn't sound spammy). His whole transformation and being able to see it unfold as it happened was eye opening, and he often extolled the virtues of this website, so I decided to give it a try.
  • Trueray
    Trueray Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    For the awesome people that are on here! Feels like I am part of a family.
  • wildchild06241
    wildchild06241 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I was looking for a program that would help me log my exercise and calories. I needed it to work on my Iphone. A friend recommended this. That was less than a month 9 pounds ago! I love this program.
  • Hanfordrose
    Options
    For the awesome people that are on here! Feels like I am part of a family.

You're right. It does seem like a family. :happy:
  • travelcoffeemug
    travelcoffeemug Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I joined in order to make my eating a less chaotic part of my life. Even though I grew up eating healthy, I had gotten to the point over the last few years where I would eat huge amounts of unhealthy food, feel sick, not eat for a while, tell myself that I could eat some more, etc. It was really an emotional (and physical!) roller coaster. I felt horrible about myself, and was spending way too much energy thinking about what I was going to eat next (and I wasn't even enjoying it!) I never became overweight, but I also never felt healthy, and was slowly gaining.

Last night, after I ate an entire large pizza, something changed. I logged on to MFP, mapped out my food for the next day, and went to the grocery store. I've only just started this, obviously, but I'm hoping that actually planning my meals, and knowing exactly what I'm eating for the whole day, will help me stay grounded. Eating shouldn't be a source of stress; it should be stable and reliable, and that's what I'm hoping to get from MFP.