numbers or look and feel?

Options
I promised myself i would only get on a scale twice a month and measured once a month... but i get a little impatient seeing others' progress and not knowing where i am. Give in or stick to my promise? I really don't want to obsess over numbers but focus on how i feel and look... but i am pretty self critical, maybe the black and white of numbers would be better?

Replies

• msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    It is definitely an individual thing.

I hop on the scale each morning before my shower -BUT- I only record my weight on a Thursday. I use the scale as a trend tool as each day you can fluctuate around your 'average' weight.

I measure once a week.

My advice would to be measure more than weigh. Measure gives you a numerical confirmation of what you think your eyes see.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I have'nt weighed myself since Oct the 1st. I am down 5 beltloops about to be 6..........
  • 1newcat
    1newcat Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think that's my problem Bunnie... my eyes aren't seeing squat. Lol. Others do allegedly, but i always figure ppl are just trying to be encouraging.

Maybe i should start wearing a belt Bill ;)
  • nhughes1864
    nhughes1864 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a week and measure once a month. I check my weight every day but I only record it on Mondays and I try for in the morning because in the evening I always weigh about 2 pounds more.
  • Vercell
    Vercell Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I wont get on the scale but every 3 months. I check my inches every two weeks.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself to make sure I'm not deceiving myself - but I've always 'weighed heavy'. I can be the same size, shape, height, and look the same as a friend, but be ten kilos heavier quite easily. The fact that I've got muscle tone (not as much right now as I'd like though!), big boobs, and (apparently) heavy bones mean that all that BMI crap is even more crap with me. So I go by clothing fit, look and feel etc. I've only lost about 12lb so far but the 'bulgy bits' i dislike are disappearing so I know I'm on the right track. Go with how you look and feel. The scales are a guide, but not the be all and end all.
  • badmojo108
    Options
    I use both since I don't trust either.

My weigh in day is on Mondays, but I generally weight myself 2-3 times day. I have found that by seeing how much my weight can fluctuate over the course of a day. For example Friday night, after a big meal I weighed in at 188.7 and woke up Saturday at 183.5. I find I am desensitized to my fluctuations and not bothered at all if my weigh in on Monday is at no loss or even a gain occasionally. Weight loss is never a linear no matter how much I want it to be.

I measure myself once a month but haven't seen too much progress over the last few months. It is probably me not measuring myself in the exact same spots or maybe my body just likes to lose weight in the areas I am not measuring or some combination of the two. So I also keep a few articles of clothing of various sizes to try on. On days I don't feel like I am making progress I put on some old jeans and shirts and the difference is pretty significant.

We see ourselves everyday, and the changes that occur on a daily basis are so small you aren't going to notice them. At the same time by seeing our ourselves everyday those little changes that added up to a big change we don't see either. I am down about 60 lbs from my highest and I'm certainly much fitter, but there are many, many days where I honestly don't see the change in myself, even though I know I have changed.