Halfway checkpoint - 57 pounds down

Options
andeey
andeey Posts: 709 Member
I know most people choose some "milestone" for their success story, but I figured an arbitrary moment in time would work for me. This is a "halfway" checkpoint for me. I have a long way to go still, but I've learned a lot along the way, so I thought I was share some thoughts and photos now.

Timeline:

March, 2012: started on a Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD) plus putting my body in Ketosis. I was netting 800-900 calories per day. In the first two weeks, I was down 16 pounds. Pretty sure it was eight pounds of water weight and the other eight was my brain slowly leaking out of my ears. I was miserable all. the. time. Freezing, cranky, hungry. I had been on low carb before, so I knew the "flu" signs, but this was much worse and I knew I wouldn't be able to sustain this (doctor supervised) program. I found MFP at the same time just to track my food intake.

After venturing past the food diary, I came across Helloitsdan and his roadmap. I'm "old school" and used the 1.0 version, but this is the revised 2.0 version:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I decided that being able to eat food and still lose weight sounded like a nifty idea, so I ran my numbers and didn't believe them, so I asked Dan to run my numbers and they matched and off I went to the fridge to eat again. Yea!

April, 2012: decided that I would need to get exercise into the plan and joined a gym and hired a personal trainer. First day of PT and I just about died. I'm pretty sure I couldn't sit down for two straight days because my muscles were so "WTF?" but I kept going. I can't express enough how much my PT has helped me and highly recommend hiring one if you can!

May, 2012: less than a month into my PT, I took a very stupid step off a curb, turned my ankle *out* and tore nearly every ligament in my left ankle.

May, 2012 - October, 2012: temporary cast > splint > walking boot > ankle brace > sock/shoe. During this time, I kept with the roadmap and went to the gym and saw my PT. But, with a messed up ankle, I was limited to mostly upper body, zero cardio and some lower body as I moved on in the healing process.

October, 2012 - December, 2012: ankle mostly healed (still no jumping/running allowed) but back on track with cardio, PT and (continued) roadmap.

January, 2013: throughout the previous months, my losses weren't as large as I anticipated, so I fiddled with some of my numbers, eating anywhere from 1500-1900 calories per day. I also increased my exercise, including adding additional time with my trainer. I adjusted my macros as well. Each time I changed something, I would stick with it for 4-6 weeks to let my body get used to things. Still, something seemed "off" with not only the numbers, but some "symptoms" with my body. So, I had my doctor run blood work and asked that he include a few very specific tests. As I expected, the results came back with confirmation of some potential issues that make me one of those "special snowflakes" you hear so much about. Still, the basics of weight loss are the same and I'm making adjustments to my numbers again to suit the information I received and continuing on with the process. I just know now that it might take me longer than most to lose the weight and that there might be a reason why (nothing is confirmed, these are just indicators) and I'm considering this to be more information in my toolbelt.

Face - beginning to now:

face_zps88bbcd28.jpg

Body - beginning:

Pumpkin_zps016ea475.jpg

Beach_zps95a62e6a.jpg

Body - now:

Vegas_zpsf8921ca4.jpg

Success - this was my expectation and my reality, and I'm "ok" with that:

success_zps3f6cd1a8.jpg

Statistics:

Weight - lost 57 pounds
BF% - dropped 12%
Waist - lost 6 inches
Hips - lost 7 inches
Thighs - lost 4 inches
Pants - dropped 4 sizes
Shirts - dropped 5 sizes
Cholesterol - decreased 19 points
Trigylcerides - decreased 39 points
HDL - increased+2

During this time mentioned above, I've had an amazing friend list. Some make me laugh, some provide sarcastic wit, some provide motivation and some provide knowledge. I thank them all because as you know, losing weight and getting fit is a physical and mental game and I need that support.

However, I do have to give a "shout out" to some folks who have provided me with very specific nutrition, training and fitness support and advice:

helloitsdan
SideSteel
Sarauk2sf
MoreBean13

Thank you!! Now, if you will excuse me, I'm about to go to the gym and get my *kitten* kicked! Cheers, Andeey.

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You look amazing. :)
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Awesome pictures! You look great..
  • Susay2942
    Susay2942 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Wow awesome transformation!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC POST GIRL!!!!!

You look AMAZING, the pictures are really remarkable! Congratulations! Keep on rocking it!
    P.S. The arbitrary celebration point has a special place in my heart! :heart:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSWVHilWgPu4toYNqu967pDHqTJ5k-YxIrBmJn_MtIM0XY_KwMu4w

(and thanks for the shout out, I feel humbled being in the company of that list! :blushing::flowerforyou: )
  • fatyoga
    fatyoga Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    What an amazing story! Way to go!
  • KellyMirth
    Options
    First of all it's nice to finally put a face to the name on my fl :) But mostly, wow girl, you have done awesome! *hugs*
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Wow, you look gorgeous.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Great story and great work!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Incredible story. Amazing work.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Love the post - you are such a rock star my friend - I am so lucky to have you on my wall posting your kick butt workouts, and positive messages.....

Here is sharing the next little bit with you - yah!!
  • SuzieQ724
    SuzieQ724 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • michelleshere
    michelleshere Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring. I cannot wait until I start seeing numbers drop!
  • quellybelly
    quellybelly Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Amazing! You are doing so well and your success is so motivating! Keep up the excellent work, you look fab!
  • HermioneDanger118
    HermioneDanger118 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I love that success cartoon - it's so true. :)
  • sugarlips1980
    sugarlips1980 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Wow, a huge well done!!! You look younger and much more vibrant! Thanks for all the info, liked your success pc so true!
  • xTenaciousJx
    Options
    excellent progress!!! keep up the amazing work. :D
  • savemama
    savemama Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Excellent job! You look amazing all the way around, but WOW on the difference in your face. People must not even recognize you?! You look beautiful and glowing and healthy! :) Thanks for the inspiration!
  • MLibby84
    Options
    wow unbelieveable. Congrats! Just goes to show that everyone has a story and starts from the bottom and works there way up. I am an admirer and I cant wait to see your end result :)

Keep it up! and thank you for sharing your story,

Maggie
  • autumnsnow786
    autumnsnow786 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    congrats!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!