Following rules but not seeing results? HELP?

Hi,
I started MFP on January 10 and followed the rules. My calorie intake is 1370 and i have been on the treadmill 5 days a week at 30 minutes each time. I am 37, 5'2 and 165lbs. What am I doing wrong? Please shed some light on me. :)

Replies

• ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Have you had any progress? Weight or inches lost? Are you weighing/measuring everything you eat or drink?

Regardless of the answers to these questions, at least part of the answer is going to be patience.
  • alile3
    alile3 Posts: 5
    Yes, I am measuring EVERYTHING. :(
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    First, if you haven't already, take your measurements. Sometimes, it feels like nothing's happening because the scale isn't moving. But, in reality, we're building muscle. A pound of muscle is more dense than a pound of fat (think a pound of chicken versus a pound of marshmallow fluff) and so our bodies are changing. Also, even if nothing's happening, you're getting healthier, and that is something!

Next, how accurately are you measuring your food? If you don't have one, buy a food scale and use it. Scales are more accurate than cups. It could be you're eating more than you think.

Good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Open your diary?

And again, have you lost any weight or inches?

Did you just start an exercise routine? You are not building muscle. But you might be retaining water for muscle repair if you've just started working out.
  • gbellsatx
    gbellsatx Posts: 37 Member
    Losing weight and being healthy is a marathon and not a sprint. It’s not how fast you get out of the blocks but how consistent you are over the long haul. Abs are made in the kitchen. I am only guessing but whatever weight you are trying to lose took longer than 18 days to put on. As with what others have said measure yourself. There are lots of good people on here that might be able to shed some knowledge about the types of food you may be consuming even though you are under your calories, you would have to share your diary. Be patient, consistent and things will change!
  • Jemmuno
    Jemmuno Posts: 413 Member
    I had a trainer and she told me that it takes about a month so see a physiological change in the body once you start working out. Also, something that might help keep you motivated is to try and think of your changes as lifestyle changes, things you think you can do for the rest of your life to be healthy. Because if you keep the mindset of this is temporary only to lose weight, what inevitable happens is people start working out and eating healthy and all the hard work they put in to lose the weight comes back and sometimes with extra pounds.

I believe diet is more important than excercise so focus on what your eating. Try to incorporate more fruits and veggies. Also, drinks tons of water. Water helps our bodies flush out toxins so that we don't end up storing them in our fat.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    Without being able to see your food diary it is impossible to really comment.
  • HopefulLeigh
    HopefulLeigh Posts: 363 Member
    These things take time. Are you drinking enough water?
  • Hi,
    I started MFP on January 10 and followed the rules. My calorie intake is 1370 and i have been on the treadmill 5 days a week at 30 minutes each time. I am 37, 5'2 and 165lbs. What am I doing wrong? Please shed some light on me. :)

I would stop the cardio and start lifting heavy weights or start doing some HIIT like bodyrock.tv I saw a lot more weight come off after making that change. Muscle burns fat, the best way to build muscle is to lift heavy.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    I'll give you one thing going against you...your female. The female body hates change! It hates losing weight because weight loss to your body is signaling that your fecundity your fertility maybe at risk. Fertility=fat to the female body, but keep working at it. Think about this if you live to 100 years old 3 weeks is only a blink of an eye in a life time of fitness. Patience health doesnt happen over night.
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    If you are building muscle the scale may not tell you anything. I actually gained weight the first month or so (10 whole lbs). I lost a pants size after a while and was still over what I was when I started. You might just be a slow starter. It may take a while to actually notice a difference.

(edited because I forgot a word or two.)
  • NicholeElizabeth92
    NicholeElizabeth92 Posts: 186 Member
    I found that cutting out carbs such as pasta, breads, and rice is helping me a lot. I'm still eating the complex carbs found in fruit and vegetables, but I don't feel so weighed down which helps me push harder at the gym.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    I logged and weighed every bite.. Followed my calories daily... And it took about a month for the scale to move.
  • alile3
    alile3 Posts: 5
    thanks everyone, i will take in all your suggestions. much appreciated!
  • fatneene
    fatneene Posts: 2 Member
    I have been on the dieting roller coaster my whole life. One thing I learned the hard way was I was not eating enough protein or taking in enough calories.
    Two professional trainers and mega bucks later I realized if you work out 5 days a week you need more then the 40 to 45 grams
    of protein that MFP suggests for you. I also need more then 1200 calories a day. I am 51 years old, weigh more then you and I intake about 80 to 100 grams of protein a day. I still try to keep my sugar intake below 25. The pounds finally started dropping off.
    Try the Harris Benedict formula and figure out what calorie intake you should be at. Too low of calories will prevent you from dropping weight. I found it hard to believe also, but once I hit the correct calorie intake and upped my protien I saw results.
    Good Luck, don't give up.