running form easiest on knees?

Options
I have decided I want to start running, and did today on a treadmill starting c25k and I didn't feel pain at the time but it's 6 hours later and my knees are throbbing. I am used to half an hour straight on elliptical with high resistance and no pain so this surprised me.

Any tips on how to correct my running? My feet were hitting the ground loudly, I think I've read thats bad but not sure how to not slap my feet down. My shoes were fitted at Massey's by their running shoe person, I have high arches or something.

Also I am 21, 5'5 and 135ish so I think I should be able to run without knee pain?

ETA the only workout other than running i have done that has hurt my knees is leg extension machine, couldn't finish it even on a low weight my kneecaps felt gritty like sandpaper =[
But I can do the other machine where you're curling them down no problem

Replies

• Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I strike on the front of my foot(my heel touches down last) and I only run on grass and in minimalist shoes. I'm not an expert on this so I would suggest doing a bit of googling about it or hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction.

edit: please don't use leg extension machine. If you want to use machine, leg press is better.....
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I strike on the front of my foot(my heel touches down last) and I only run on grass and in minimalist shoes. I'm not an expert on this so I would suggest doing a bit of googling about it or hopefully someone here can point you in the right direction.

edit: please don't use leg extension machine. If you want to use machine, leg press is better.....

Thanks. I have never been back on the leg extension machine because it was unbearably painful. The first time I walked in a gym(in 2011 haha) I tried all the machines with a friend who worked there and showed me and that was the only thing I couldn't do one of. Love the leg press I can do my weight on that one =]

I'll have to try landing on my toes first =]
  • RekindledRose
    RekindledRose Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    A treadmill is really different than running across ground too. Some treadmills just kill my knees, and some pavements make my calves scream in pain. I'd suggest trying different places and strides. There are some good sites online that talk about heel striking vs. mid-foot striking and other techno things related to running if you decide to continue it.

It's a great sport if you can do it!
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    =] I hope I can! I felt so accomplished today afterwards haha; made me sweat more than an elliptical has in a while.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about trying rowing machine?
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    If you land first on the ball of your food (front of your food), it's best for your knees. I'm 27 and only run on sidewalks and have never had issues with my knees. I know concrete is supposed to be really bad, but living downtown I am not running on the roads!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Google "Good Form Running"

When you run your footstrike should be very quiet. Run silently, like a ninja.