Take a look at my diary please?

Options
So, I've dieted before but usually super low calorie and this time I want to do it right and eat healthily and actually feel good. I don't really care if I eat the same foods every day, so variety isn't an issue for me. I logged tomorrow's plan as well as the day afters. Ignore today's logging because I WAS going to start the ABC diet today and I did day 1 but decided I didn't want to go down that route again. So, how does my plan for the next couple days look? I weigh everything on a scale, so it's all accurate (well, as accurate as labels are -.-).

Replies

• envy09
    envy09 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Why is your daily goal so low? That's the amount of calories a small child needs.
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Why is your daily goal so low? That's the amount of calories a small child needs.

Well for starters, Her ABC diet is a Pro Anorexia diet.

OP, get off MFP and get some help.
  • newsarah019
    Options
    I clearly said that I DIDN'T want to go down the ABC route, which is why I'm here, asking for advice.

And I'm pretty sedentary since I'm a student, I'd eat back work out calories though. Would my goal still be too low?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options

Well for starters, Her ABC diet is a Pro Anorexia diet.

OP, get off MFP and get some help.

Yeah I don't know what ABC Diet means, but that food plan looks Pro-ana.
  • mallystephens
    Options
    agreeing with randinek.

calorie intake way too low.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    I clearly said that I DIDN'T want to go down the ABC route, which is why I'm here, asking for advice.

And I'm pretty sedentary since I'm a student, I'd eat back work out calories though. Would my goal still be too low?

I guess it depends what your weight is currently, though it does seem very low. Did MFP set it or did you?
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options

Go here and figure out your TDEE and BMR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Here is a hint, if youre eating 1200 or less, youre not eating enough.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    It's not enough calories, or protein at all, or calcium for that matter.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Ok weirdest food diary I ever saw. WTF? What am I looking at? I don't get it.

Okay...take a stuffed animal and name it your name. Look in the mirror and tell yourself that's your kid or puppy or orphan or whatever you think you'd be responsible and interested enough to take care of. Now go through your day imagining the real you is that stuffed animal and is in charge of feeding the real you/puppy/kid. Would you EVER feed a puppy/kid/orphan that sporadically? One day a lot, next day breakfast only, next day normal, next day bingey, next day nothing, again nothing, then skipping meals again?

If there is a website for eating disorders I think that's where you should go next. This is crazy eating that most people here are ill equipped to answer or handle, me being one of them. You need to be around people who can make sense of this and be supportive, not frightened or angered by it. I don't care how many times you say you don't want to do the ABC's or whatnot, you need somethign most of us here can't give. Or just honestly go to your parents or dr or teacher or someone you really need to get more serious about this.
  • envy09
    Options
    Looked up ABC diet. Oh hell no! I would pass out in the squat rack eating that little!
  • stefosaurusrawrrrr
    Options
    Like everybody said, you definitely need to be eating more. Take it from somebody who has a diagnosed eating disorder, you do NOT want to continue in these habits for a day longer. What will happen is that you will lose weight rapidly. Your body will start to shut down because you're not giving it enough fuel. Then you'll go see a doctor, and you'll have to gain weight if you want to be healthy. There's a high chance you'll start bingeing and gain weight rapidly, because you've deprived your body of nutrients. You might even overshoot your original weight. It is NOT worth it. This all happened to me...I lost a lot of weight very quickly on a diet of ~500 calories a day (plus exercise, so negative net calories every day). But it didn't last. Losing weight on a restrictive diet will never last.

If you suspect that you have an eating disorder, please get help. There's a really fine line between dieting and having an eating disorder. Typically, people who have eating disorders are not pro-ana and do not choose to restrict their intake. They do not choose to go on an ABC diet. It's a living hell.

So...yeah...you definitely need to be eating enough. I'd even say that 1,200 is quite low.
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Your eating choices seem alright at first glance, but your calories are waaay too low. You'll lose weight of course, but it's not going to be pleasant, that's for sure.

If I could just give one pointer - eat the egg yolks once in awhile. Atleast one or two. Your body needs fat to lose fat, simply put - a few egg yolks aren't going to kill you. :)
  • mkookies
    mkookies Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Like everybody said, you definitely need to be eating more. Take it from somebody who has a diagnosed eating disorder, you do NOT want to continue in these habits for a day longer. What will happen is that you will lose weight rapidly. Your body will start to shut down because you're not giving it enough fuel. Then you'll go see a doctor, and you'll have to gain weight if you want to be healthy. There's a high chance you'll start bingeing and gain weight rapidly, because you've deprived your body of nutrients. You might even overshoot your original weight. It is NOT worth it. This all happened to me...I lost a lot of weight very quickly on a diet of ~500 calories a day (plus exercise, so negative net calories every day). But it didn't last. Losing weight on a restrictive diet will never last.

If you suspect that you have an eating disorder, please get help. There's a really fine line between dieting and having an eating disorder. Typically, people who have eating disorders are not pro-ana and do not choose to restrict their intake. They do not choose to go on an ABC diet. It's a living hell.

So...yeah...you definitely need to be eating enough. I'd even say that 1,200 is quite low.

^ This.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you need to eat >1200 calories per day.

I'm not sure what your height/weight and ultimate goals are, but bottom line is that you're not going to lose weight in a healthy manner by eating less than 1200 calories. Any weight you do lose will come right back the minute you eat anything more than what you normally were eating. Even worse, your body may not even allow you to lose weight if its not getting enough calories. You will GAIN weight. Its going to try to hold onto whatever calories you are giving it because it fears you're going to continue starving it... so if you eat only 800 calories one day... 700... whatever your choice, your body is going to HOLD ON to those calories until you start regularly taking in the proper amount of calories.

Calculate your TDEE and BMR and don't go below your BMR. At first it will seem high but do your best to eat as close to it as possible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    WOW - has no-one asked her size, activity level before jumping down her throat?

OP, how did you determine your calorie goal? It is probably too low to be a good idea but you have the right idea for your macros and what you are eating, you just probably should be eating more. How much do you weigh? How tall are you?

If you are a student you should set yourself at at least lightly active. Your weight loss goal should be no more than 1lb a week. You should eat your exercise calories back.

ETA: you need to get your current intake up, as you already know. If you have problems eating more than you have planned for tomorrow (as I am pretty sure the new inputs will give you a higher number, and if that does not, the exercise will), try to incorporate calorie dense foods such as nuts and nut butters and full fat dairy.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options
    Ok, putting today's/Monday's menu aside, and looking at Tuesday through Thursday, I'd say it looks pretty good. Every meal is pretty evenly balanced at about 300 calories, and you have some healthy foods in there. It looks like you're a little protein-heavy, but I don't see anything wrong with that. If it's a diet you can eat for the rest of your life, then it should be a doable diet.

That said, whether a ~1200/day calorie diet is right for you all depends on your height, weight, activity level, and exercise. If you're exercising your fanny off, then that still might not be enough calories. As others have suggested, MFP does a pretty good job of calculating recommended calories. Set it to lose 1-2 pounds per week, and it'll build in an appropriate caloric deficit for you.
  • witeowl
    witeowl Posts: 89
    Options

No, and most also didn't pay attention to the fact that she clearly said to ignore today's plan. She's recognized that the diet she started today isn't a healthy way to lose weight and is looking for guidance to determine whether her upcoming plan is good. I hope she returns to see the better posts that have occurred since the initial onslaught.
  • ClairBears84
    ClairBears84 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

No, and most also didn't pay attention to the fact that she clearly said to ignore today's plan. She's recognized that the diet she started today isn't a healthy way to lose weight and is looking for guidance to determine whether her upcoming plan is good. I hope she returns to see the better posts that have occurred since the initial onslaught.

SO glad you see this too! She wouldn't be here asking for help is she didn't ALREADY know she needs it. I would say depending on your goals, 1200 - 1400 is a good cal intake, with healthy foods, fruits and veg and protein. i in-boxed you xxx
  • envy09
    Options

SO glad you see this too! She wouldn't be here asking for help is she didn't ALREADY know she needs it. I would say depending on your goals, 1200 - 1400 is a good cal intake, with healthy foods, fruits and veg and protein. i in-boxed you xxx

Her goal was 1100 cals a day. No one should eat that.
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    What's your height and weight? What's your target of per week loss? Even if you are usually in classes, do you exercise at all? All these are factors will determine whether you are eating enough.

As for your food choices, it looks ok at first glance, with 1200, ensure that you are eating a good balance of different types of food, vitamins, calcium, just watch out on the sodium and sugar ( minus fruits), it is also more advisable to eat variety rather than stick to same thing, to ensure you get the right nutrients, even though not daily, but overtime, your ate having enough nutrients.

And most important, is this sustainable for you? That's something you have to answer for yourself.