I'm Considering Getting a Perm

Replies

• LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    Ok so I've gone against the perm and decided to fix what I'm using as shampoo instead because I looked up the Curly Girl Method which says to watch out for sulfates and all that stuff and I really need a good conditioner...

So I've narrowed it down to two shampoos and conditioners: Pantene or Tresemme

Any ideas?

Don't waste money on a perm, spend some time finding a good hairdresser in your area, who specializes in curly hair. If you cut layers into your hair, it takes weight off the ends and allows your natual curls to be more bouncy (more bouncy, not sure if that is grammatically correct!) Sodium Laurel sulfates are what makes shampoo foam up, so you would be hard pressed to find many without them, there is a vegan, organic line called Pureology that uses a natural sourced sudsing agent (listed on the the bottle as Sodium Laurith Sulfate, sounds the same, is different). Also, there is nothing wrong with product, if you can find a good one that doesn't weigh down your hair. A good technique for curly hair is while it is wet, apply a small amount of leave in conditioner, take your hair in 1" sections wrap them around your finger, do your whole head, and let dry natually, or use a blow dryer on low with a diffuser. Hope this helps!
  • LisaLamb1
    LisaLamb1 Posts: 149 Member
    I did some research for you, and found this site:

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlsalons/view/688/avalon-suites-salon-spa-omaha-nebraska-united-states

Avalon Salon, stylist Leah Remacle, specializes in curly hair.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    You have nice hair, why ruin it with a perm? Not being a hair dresser -- you could probably achieve what you want with a trim and some product. That's what I do. Defrizze, blow dry, curling iron (only about 8 curls), finger comb with liquid hair spray (tiny amount in the palm). Fluff and go. Takes less than 10 minutes!!
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Tresemme is good! I have naturally curly hair and have been doing the Curly Girl Method for about 10 months! I will never turn back. When I used to shampoo...my hair was sooo frizzy {I have Bocelli Curls} I now have been co~washing and my hair is softer and more defined. Enjoy your curls girl!:drinker:
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Naturally curly hair here, too. Here are the products I use:

Shampoo: Nexxus Therappe
    Conditioner: Nexxus Humectress
    Styling product: Sebastian Potion 9

When I'm feeling poor, the Pantene Moisture Renewal shampoo and conditioner is my go-to second choice. There are tons of curl enhancer lotions, gels and mousse out there. You just have to try some and see which you prefer. I like a lotion because gel makes my hair crispy and mousse leaves it too frizzy. Some of the spray gels are okay, though.

Apply the styling product, flip your head upside down and finger-crunch the curls, then blow dry with a diffuser attachment. The diffuser is really, really important unless you plan on air-drying every time. You can also sleep with your hair up loosely in an alligator clip to keep your curls from being squashed every night..
  • Danger2OneSelf
    Danger2OneSelf Posts: 883 Member
    I personally like the smell of Pantene a lot more, but you may find that it dries your hair out more than Tresseme.

(says the bald guy)

It's good to see that you post awkward comments on both girl/guy topics....I would hate to see a sexist creep on here! YIKES!!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    I get a perm once a year to add body. My hair is stick straight.
    You just can't use too much heat or it fries eventually.
    If you have to use a blow dryer and curling iron every morning, you might not want to do it.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member

Conditioner: Nexxus Humectress

Best stuff EVER.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    CAN'T YOU ALL SEE THAT THIS DISCUSSION ABOUT HAIRSTYLING IS TEARING MYFITNESSPAL APART??
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    I would really not recommend it. Honestly, your hair is amazing as it is!

Plus, it can really damage your hair. I relaxed my hair twice to get it very straight and I don't think I'll do it again. The first time, my hair was long ( lower than my chest) and I had to cut everything off to where my shoulder is because they were so damaged about 3 months after the treatment.

Second time, I was a lot more careful but the hairdresser apparently wasn't and a very small part of my hair (that is hidden, thank god) was completely burned off and damaged. Also, I was loosing my hair like nobody's business to the point where I would freak out in the shower.

I would recommend leaving it as it is or trying to find non-aggressive ways to style it the way you want.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Have you considered going with a wig?

You could have a different hair style every day of the week!
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    NO PERM! I did that when I was younger and it completely ruined the texture of my hair. I couldn't get it to do loose curls or go straight. What a mess!
  • SJax7192
    SJax7192 Posts: 46 Member
    Ok, so I put some new pictures up on my page and I'd like opinions.

The one that's my main photo that I hope you can see right now, is when I curl it with curlers and let it sit overnight.
    The one on the end if you click on my photos, past my progress photos, is how my hair is naturally when I blow dry it.

Which do you guys think is better?
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    It's hard to tell because the first picture doesn't show much of your hair but it does look curlier than the second picture. You also look better with your hair off your face.

I still really think you have a styling issue and not a "not enough natural curl" issue in your second photo, though. What do you use for product? How do you blow dry? Do you have a diffuser? Do you flip your head over and dry it upside down? Do you finger-scrunch your hair while you're blow-drying? Encouraging maximum curl is all about fighting gravity.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    When I had long hippy hair back in the day, I permed it once...once! I looked like a poodle. Only curlies I have now are my short ones...and those are manscaped back.
  • SJax7192
    It's hard to tell because the first picture doesn't show much of your hair but it does look curlier than the second picture. You also look better with your hair off your face.

I still really think you have a styling issue and not a "not enough natural curl" issue in your second photo, though. What do you use for product? How do you blow dry? Do you have a diffuser? Do you flip your head over and dry it upside down? Do you finger-scrunch your hair while you're blow-drying? Encouraging maximum curl is all about fighting gravity.

Yeah I thought so too...I honestly think I do have a styling issue. I hate my diffuser with an absolute passion, but when I use it I flip so I'm upside down and I finger scrunch while blow drying but then it just turns to puff, no curl.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    go to aveda salon they like natural things and will show you how to style your naturally curly hair.
  • SJax7192
    I've tried. Their products really weigh down my hair.

I'm just getting really frustrated and I've almost had it with my hair to the point where I'll put it in a freaking bun every day instead of actually doing something with it.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I think putting it in a bun would be a shame, you have lovely hair and a bun would hide that.