Skin clearing foods?

Options
Hi so i have an acne problem. I've had it forever!

I've tried every single friggen acne soap there is at the drugstore.
I've taken vitamins for this,
i've tried proactive,
i've used doctor prescribed creams and gels all to no avail.:cry:

If the product worked it would leave red splotches on my face that would burn and peel (totally not sexy:sick: ) so i stoped using all of the above (except for clearasil which helps some but doesn't ever clear it all away) and hide behind a mask of makeup everyay :embarassed:

Since i've joined MFP i've been eating loads of fruits and veggies... and i noticed that my skin has started clearing up alot.:noway:

I was wondering if anyone knows of any specific fruits or veggies that are known for clearing up acne and skin blemishes? if so i want to eat them all!

Replies

• DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    put peanut butter on your face

Smooth not chunky
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    put peanut butter on you're face

Smooth not chunky

My sister says raw honey is super healthy to slather on your skin.
  • justgowithit17
    justgowithit17 Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    bump...i'm curious about this too. although i don't have acne, i get the occasional pimple and it's not cute
  • misssbluiz
    misssbluiz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    me also-i'm like the flair up face. I get nasty white heads and just ran out of proactive. Is that the ONLY thing that works??
  • happypath101
    Options
    I'm no expert. But, when I sweat every day (or pretty much every day) and drink tonnes of water my skin is far clearer. I suspect eating more proteins and less carbs and sugar is also pretty good for the skin. As is getting lots of sleep. Good luck!
  • Charmainedelaney
    Charmainedelaney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Stay away from the junk food & sweet treats. Eat a balanced diet (dont try to starv yourself) because it will show in your skin.
    If after a few weeks still no joy consult with your doctor as it might be a hormone thing - worth a chat. :)
  • jk262
    jk262 Posts: 1,598 Member
    Options
    water, water, water. Keep it up with the fruits and veggies but drink a lot of water!
  • vbisnath
    Options
    I have had occasional acne since I hit my teenage years. Now at the age of 28, my skin is clear with occasional break outs. I find the best thing is drinking water and staying away from carbonated drinks. So, even if it is diet, loves to bring on a break out. If you are going to drink carbonated drinks then wash it down with twice the amount of water. Besides this, I started a new routine of rubbing fresh aloe vera gel on my face once a week. I use the fresh aloe leaves/stems whatever you want to call them. People have been asking me what my new secret to looking so glowy is lately. Try to increase your water or decrease carbonated drinks. Hope this helps.
  • vbisnath
    Options
    I agree with you. Water it the answer 100%.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    I don't believe there are actual foods that clear up the skin. Acne has more to do with how your body secretes oil and sheds skin. Also hormones have a role.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Anecdote alert!

For a few months, I drank waaaay too much caffeinated coffee and developed terrible acne for about a month. It took me a while to realize what was different in my life and it was really just the coffee (8 cups a day... whoops). I cut it out, got a terrible headache for a couple days and then the acne cleared up. So, you could try cutting out caffeine and see if it makes a difference or not.
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    ive been soda and coffee free for the past 3 weeks.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i was the same, then my mum bought me a jar of magnesium pills before xmas and over the course of about two weeks my skin cleared up. clearly a deficiency issue! either try my fix, or visit a herbalist or someone who deals with finding out what is missing in your system
  • kozmotrouble
    kozmotrouble Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Juicing/ blending fruits and vegetables helps my skin. I try to eat 1-2 all fruit & vegetable smoothies a day. Spinach and kale are nutrient rich so add as much as possible. And don't forget berries that are high in antioxidants, they will do wonders for you both on the inside and outside! Blending fruit and vegetables is better than juicing because the pulp is full of fiber.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to experiment, everybody reacts differently to things.

For me I have to make sure my water intake is good and I stay away from dairy
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Well that's that. Sorry I don't have anything more to offer. Good luck.
  • glitteredgrave
    glitteredgrave Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This sounds ridiculous but the best facial soap I've used is actually clear equate hand soap. The walmart brand. I haven't tried softsoap but the equate one is AMAZING. I don't put anything else on my face, and I airbrush my makeup so my hands never touch my face. Try it, it could work for you too.

Also going vegan helped tremendously; but the clear equate hand soap was what cleared it up initially. Sometimes in the winter my face gets dry so I use Murad Clean Scene moisturizer, once or twice.
  • CharRicho
    CharRicho Posts: 389 Member
    Options

Keep going with this, it takes longer than 3 weeks for your skin to adjust. But I also agree that seeing a herbalist or nutritionist would be a good idea.

And definitely water!
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    No amount of eating better has ever helped my face. However, low dose dr. prescribed antibiotics did the trick for me for a while. I stopped them due to the negative side effect of getting sun burnt way too easy. Not okay in cali.