Which calorie counter should I buy?

Options
I want to buy something I can wear all day, or at least during any exercise
that accurately counts calories burned.
What do you use, and what are the pros and cons?
Id like to stay below $100.
Thanks

Replies

• KirstenTheFamilyCoach
    Options
    I started this reseach process last fall. I'm just a social worker so price was a huge factor. I also have to wear girl clothes three times each week to work so style was a factor. I needed something that would track my weight, body fat, lean muscle, movement, sleep and heart rate. Here's what I decided.

Body bug and Mio Active were out for several reasons: initial cost was high and the monthly cost of keeping it up was astronomical. It wasn't something I could ever hide. I don't want to advertise my weight loss journey to the world.

The Nike thing, along with all other wrist bands, were out because I couldn't wear it to work without it looking like I was wearing a teen-ager's rubber band braclet around my wrist.

I setteled on the following mix:
    *FitBit (easily hidden and pretty accurate to track movement, elivation gain and sound sleep)
    **Affordable intiall cost
    **No monthly fee
    **Syncs to MFP which, in my opinion, has the best database for food and I have zero problems with the sync feature
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    **I sync it to MFP and https://trendweight.com/ both sites are free
    *Endomondo
    **I purchased the $5 "pro" version becuase I WOG not run and the interval program on there is easily customizable for me.
    **I sync this to MFP too
    *I just bought a Wahoo Fitness Heart Monitor Run Pack because FitBit doesn't track non moving exercise like Yoga, Weights and Pilates.
    **It syncs to Endomondo and my iPhone.
    **I log non movement exercises on FitBit.com to get an accurate read of what I'm burning during those exercises.

That makes my overall cost:
    *FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    **trendweight free website
    *Endomondo $5
    *WaHoo Fitness Heart Rate Monitor $99
    **That's a grand total of less than $330 without needing any other costs.

Works for me :)
  • crunchybubblez
    crunchybubblez Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I'm going to get a fitbit.
    I looked on the website, and decided I'll wait for the new one.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    i hear MFP has one that's pretty cost effective
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
    I'm going to get a fitbit.
    I looked on the website, and decided I'll wait for the new one.

The new one wont show you anything on the go...only when it syncs. The Fitbit ONE however does show it constantly. Well worth it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    I started this reseach process last fall. I'm just a social worker so price was a huge factor. I also have to wear girl clothes three times each week to work so style was a factor. I needed something that would track my weight, body fat, lean muscle, movement, sleep and heart rate. Here's what I decided.

Body bug and Mio Active were out for several reasons: initial cost was high and the monthly cost of keeping it up was astronomical. It wasn't something I could ever hide. I don't want to advertise my weight loss journey to the world.

The Nike thing, along with all other wrist bands, were out because I couldn't wear it to work without it looking like I was wearing a teen-ager's rubber band braclet around my wrist.

I setteled on the following mix:
    *FitBit (easily hidden and pretty accurate to track movement, elivation gain and sound sleep)
    **Affordable intiall cost
    **No monthly fee
    **Syncs to MFP which, in my opinion, has the best database for food and I have zero problems with the sync feature
    *Aria digital WiFi scale
    **I sync it to MFP and https://trendweight.com/ both sites are free
    *Endomondo
    **I purchased the $5 "pro" version becuase I WOG not run and the interval program on there is easily customizable for me.
    **I sync this to MFP too
    *I just bought a Wahoo Fitness Heart Monitor Run Pack because FitBit doesn't track non moving exercise like Yoga, Weights and Pilates.
    **It syncs to Endomondo and my iPhone.
    **I log non movement exercises on FitBit.com to get an accurate read of what I'm burning during those exercises.

That makes my overall cost:
    *FitBit $99
    **free website
    *Aria Scale $125
    **trendweight free website
    *Endomondo $5
    *WaHoo Fitness Heart Rate Monitor $99
    **That's a grand total of less than $330 without needing any other costs.

Works for me :)

If money is tight- are you sure you need the scale? You'd get a lot of months BMF for that cost. This too links to MFP (Bodybug doesn't). It is much more accurate than fit bit. I wear mine for work- I just ruffle up both sleeves a bit -no one has commented. In the UK we can't get the Core but that is even smaller. I'd definitely think about that if you want accuracy rather than just motivation.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit! I also sync with the HRM and endomondo. Best investment I have made so far, and I have tried all sorts of other gadgets on the market.

If you weren't slammed with the monthly price for the Bodybugg, I would have probably purchased that instead. But with Fitbit + HRM, it's just the upfront cost of the device and nothing else.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I want a Striiv because it has a game factor.
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you learn the difference between the pedometers and an HRM. It depends on your needs.
  • gnoccola
    gnoccola Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I used the fitbit and just upgraded it to the One. Now it sync with my iphone and I can see my steps and calories anytime, which pushes me to do more once I see how few I burned.
    I hide it on my bra and wear it every day, day and night. It goes off for showers only. I charge it every 7-9 days.
    Love it, love it, love it.