Resistance/ Weight Training For Core

Options
I was wondering if there were any exercises that I can do that involve resistance/ or weights for my core. I use the weight machines at the gym and do some lifting but I find that only focuses on the butt, legs, and arms. The hardest workouts I do for my core are planks and bicycle crunches. They are difficult, but I feel like I am not doing nearly enough. Any ideas?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    I was wondering if there were any exercises that I can do that involve resistance/ or weights for my core. I use the weight machines at the gym and do some lifting but I find that only focuses on the butt, legs, and arms. The hardest workouts I do for my core are planks and bicycle crunches. They are difficult, but I feel like I am not doing nearly enough. Any ideas?
    Russian twists, hanging leg raises, scorpions, kickboxing. IMO, core can be "worked" out in just about any exercise IF you know how to stabilize and flex it correctly.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Use free weights and focus on compound lifts such as squats, deadlifts, rows.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I do a combination of the above.

My lifting routines involve compound moves such as squats, rows, pull-ups, etc. that all use the "core" if done properly.

I also work abs separately on my Chest & Back day as well as my Shoulders, Biceps, and Triceps day by using hanging knee raises, planks, Russian twists, and crunches on the decline bench.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    ^^This

You don't need to do specific core work if you're doing the right lifts. The core gets plenty of work doing it's job stabilizing compound, heavy lifts. Emphasis on the compound, heavy part. If you're doing triceps extensions and brocurls and quad extensions and leg press, obviously you're not doing core work.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/24/rage-against-the-machine-how-to-switch-from-exercise-machines-to-free-weights/

Every commercial gym in America is LOADED with treadmills, ellipticals, and dozens of weight lifting machines (aimed to hit every individual muscle you have). Yet, you may struggle to find the small free weight section buried the back of the gym.

For most people starting out, they finish up with their cardio/treadmill/elliptical workout, and then wander over to the machines. Why? Because they’re the easiest thing to get started with…at least they look like the safest way to lift weights. Unfortunately, the opposite is true. Plus, it’s only a matter of time before these machines that look like medieval torture devices become self aware and take over.

I long for a weight machine free future, and it starts by informing people about the wool that has been pulled over their eyes: machines do not keep you safe. Far from it

By the end of today, I hope you’ll be convinced that machines are dangerous, ineffective, and a waste of your time. You are Neo; we are the revolution, and machines are going down.

Note: If you have a medical condition or injury the requires you to use machines for a particular reason, continue following your prescribed workout from your doctor or physical therapist.

Put on Bulls on Parade and let’s get started!
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    You beat me to it.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/01/24/rage-against-the-machine-how-to-switch-from-exercise-machines-to-free-weights/

Every commercial gym in America is LOADED with treadmills, ellipticals, and dozens of weight lifting machines (aimed to hit every individual muscle you have). Yet, you may struggle to find the small free weight section buried the back of the gym.

For most people starting out, they finish up with their cardio/treadmill/elliptical workout, and then wander over to the machines. Why? Because they’re the easiest thing to get started with…at least they look like the safest way to lift weights. Unfortunately, the opposite is true. Plus, it’s only a matter of time before these machines that look like medieval torture devices become self aware and take over.

I long for a weight machine free future, and it starts by informing people about the wool that has been pulled over their eyes: machines do not keep you safe. Far from it

By the end of today, I hope you’ll be convinced that machines are dangerous, ineffective, and a waste of your time. You are Neo; we are the revolution, and machines are going down.

Note: If you have a medical condition or injury the requires you to use machines for a particular reason, continue following your prescribed workout from your doctor or physical therapist.

Put on Bulls on Parade and let’s get started!

What if I prefer to start with Testify?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    the things you think are only working your legs are probably giving your core a ridiculous workout. squats, deadlifts, lunges, all that
  • jackgaulrapp
    jackgaulrapp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Heavy squats and heavy deadlifts. Anything that involves spinal stability