All you American Ladies!

Options
AND Gents - so sorry! :D

I am coming down from Canada on a 4 day whirlwind.... I have noticed that a lot of you talk about foods, ingredients and snacks that we cannot get in Canada. I need your suggestions on whats great to pick up while I'm down!

Thanks! <3

Replies

• bebhinn
    bebhinn Posts: 198
    Options
    And I'm not joking! It took me weeks to locate a store that carried Cool Whip Free!!
  • mictur
    mictur Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What type of goodies? Many of them can be ordered online. Like Luna bars, protein bars. Do they have a Walmart in Canada?
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Will need to know what type of snacks you like first, there are so many options!
  • bebhinn
    Options
    Well, I do like my sweets now and then but I struggle a lot with salty because our 100cal salty options are slim pickins here.

We have walmart, yeah, but I get the sneaking suspicion we carry REALLY different things - I think it was part of some deal that they have to carry a LOT of canadian stuff in order to put the stores here :)

Like, I hear about this trader joes business, but I have never seen any of its stuff in canada.
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    And, what part of the country are you going to? There are so many differences by region. And what's called Dreyer's here, is called Edy's a few states away, etc.
  • bebhinn
    Options
    And, what part of the country are you going to? There are so many differences by region. And what's called Dreyer's here, is called Edy's a few states away, etc.

Confusing!! Tim Hortons here is Tim Hortons everywhere!! :P

We're making a straight trip to Nashville - one of four. :S I think we're doing continuous driving until we get there so most likely we will be in that area for a couple days.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's name brand products are only found in their stores. If you can find one where you're going, definitely check it out! It's one of my favorite stores to shop in and I always find something new and walk out with way more than I was intending to buy.
    They have a store finder on their website:
    http://www.traderjoes.com/
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's name brand products are only found in their stores. If you can find one where you're going, definitely check it out! It's one of my favorite stores to shop in and I always find something new and walk out with way more than I was intending to buy.
    They have a store finder on their website:
    http://www.traderjoes.com/

I'm always hearing about trader joe's too. I'm jealous because we don't have one in Kansas. Don't come here...we pretty much only have wal mart!
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TRADER JOES!

$1.00 Luna bars
    Amazing ready made salads...many are very calorie concious
    cajun salmon filets
    Frozen Tart Yogurt (like the tart yogurt out of the machines but much cheaper)
    Good quality dark chocolate
    Interesting (good value) frozen products
    Sunny Sushi rolls...220 cals for 6 huge pieces
    Hummus, taziki sauce

I also like their dietary supplements: proboitic capsules and psyllum husk powder...also designer whey protein powder I buy from there!
  • themethod
    themethod Posts: 257
    Options
    Well, this time of year (March/April) is really good for grapefruit, pineapple, oranges, and mango, as well as zucchini, artichokes, beets, and asparagus. You might even be able to catch strawberries or cherries, depending on how late you go. Collard greens are big in the south if you're willing to try them, and they're year-round. Go to a farmer's market and get the best fresh fruits and vegetables that are locally grown.

One of my favorite things to eat in the Kentucky/Tennessee area are freshly made biscuits covered with honey or molasses.

Also, if you like pork, try Memphis-style barbecue or dry-rub.

And you can't go to the south without getting Sweet Tea!
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I second the sweet tea!! Can someone say YUMMM???