wine and weight lost

Options
124»

Replies

• Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    For me it was good beer. I love IPA. When I was losing the weight I cut back on all booze. Had no beer. Once or twice a week I'd have 2 or 3 hard drinks on ice no mixer.

After a month or 2 when I did have 2 IPAs one night I could not believe how bad I felt the next day.
  • kbeech06
    kbeech06 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I love red wine...or I did up until this past Friday. I think (not exactly sure) I drank a bottle and a half...and half of that was homemade wine.Now, I don't do that often, but I do drink wine on the weekends...usually a bottle over Friday-Sunday. Lets just say I was miserably sick all day Saturday...and not a whole heck of a lot better on Sunday. Needless to say, it threw my whole body out of whack...so, as much as red wine is my favourite drink, I've decided to give up all alcohol for Lent.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to drink my wine every day. A couple glasses. At Christmas, my hubby gave up smoking. In support, I gave up daily drinking (he doesn't drink). I now have wine (or beer) maybe once every couple weeks. I miss it, but I can tell a huge difference in my fat loss and strength gains.
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    When I was younger I cut out wine and lost 7lb in a month. This time I tried that first and it made no difference so I worked it into my cals had just a couple of glasses and gained the following day. I have a habit of snacking when I drink so I cut out crisps and worked in pickles and cold meats to go with my wine so the gain could have been sodium causing water retention. I like a light beer I'm fine with those. I drink Turkish Efes light which is lovely if you can get it. I don't like Vodka and soda but I do like a drink so I'm experimenting with spirits that taste ok with soda as I'm also cutting down on diet drinks. I quite like Campari and soda in a very tall glass and orange wedges you can keep topping it up with soda and it lasts ages. I like a Brandy Sour too thats ok cals wise and snack on plain popcorn. Air popped. I've not touched wine since it made me gain despite having spare cals it's better for me to find an alternative.
  • girlfromOklahoma
    girlfromOklahoma Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm a social drinker. I like wine, but prefer beer. (I know I'm a cheap date, hah!) I do fine staying away from alcohol during the week, or even on weekends so long as our friends aren't around. However, when we're with friends, we all like to have a few drinks. Last Saturday I had a glass of wine and 2 12 oz beers and still stayed within my calorie allowance so it wasn't too bad.

I'm suppose to have dinner and go to a movie tomorrow night with my bestie, this is going to be TOUGH!

Then on top of that my husband and I have dinner reservations Saturday nigtht to celebrate Valentine's Day. I've already told him, I'm ordering whatever I want and counting the calories LATER. LOL
  • chrislynn_marie
    chrislynn_marie Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The way I've lost 40 pounds isn't by restricting myself -- it's by controlling myself. If you want something, just factor it into your calories. MFP app has a bar-code scanner for a reason! Scan your bottle of wine! In the past when I've tried to restrict myself, I've always failed.
  • geralynhoerauf
    geralynhoerauf Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I gave up drinking for all of January, it really helped me to just have a specific goal time. In the beginning I couldn't wait to have a glass of wine again, then you get used to it, and now I'm totally OK with not having a glass of wine with dinner, or meeting friends for a cup of tea instead of a beer after work!

I lost about 2lb per week when i wasn't drinking, which was a great motivator (I'd been struggling to lose anything before then), and I would say that before then I was drinking as a habit and not really appreciating it, whereas now I can really appreciate a fine glass of red wine, or an ice cold beer - because it's an occasional treat instead of a nightly occurrence!
    I did the same and eliminated adult beverages for all of January. Combined with other dietary changes, I lost 11 lbs in total and I'm guessing that a lot of it was due to eliminating alcohol (to the tune of 4-5 glasses of wine a night or multiple shots-and-beer on the weekends). Since the first of the month, I've added wine back in, making sure to log the calories.

It was pretty difficult at first as my husband continued to imbibe and would occasionally tease me, but I stuck with it. I think I'm sleeping better and snacking less since I'm drinking water through the evening and not wine. I also notice that the cheap wine we buy (in quantity) is not very good and so might be able to afford better stuff now that I'm not drinking it like water.
  • kendunn579
    kendunn579 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I cut it back, especially beer, then went to the pub and drank 8 pints of Dorset's finest. Cured my constipation and I lost 4lbs...
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I found cutting out the pre-dinner drink (and accompanying snack) has made a difference. Now I don't want extra drinks in the evenings or Sunday afternoons. What I do have I make sure I have calories THAT DAY (not "borrowed" or "saved")
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    This is a very useful thread. Hubby has just given up wine for Lent so this should help me too! I am going to a dinner dance at a wine estate tonight so have been logging a cal deficit over the last few days to account former it. After that, no wine during the week until April. Like the Op I was regularly drinking half a bottle per night but have already cut down. I alternate my glasses with water to try and slow down. Apparently alcohol can block the feeling full signals the stomach sends after 20 minutes of eating so can fool you into feeling hungry. It will be interesting to see how this goes!
  • cheron40
    cheron40 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use to drink about 3 glasses a night- everynight
    I have now stopped all wine for the past 3 weeks and am drinking tons of water
    and I have lost no weight or inches l-
    I am going to wait another week, if nothing comes off in weight or inches, I am going back to drinking my wine

keep us updated!
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Good luck Cazzahi. A lot of us know where you are coming from and how hard it is. Do keep us posted and I promise to be honest about my intake. A whole bottle yesterday if I include wine drunk at a dinner dance and the reception beforehand. I did account in my cal intake which I set lower for the proceeding 2 days but am now going to cut right back for Lent and see how it goes...
  • Peanutbutterx
    Options
    yess its difficult.. what i did though was just had wine on the weekends, like friday/saturday night. and then during the week just found other things to do to relax.. like a hot bath/shower, going for a walk, talking on the phone.. if you get kinda of jumpy then just do a bunch of chores around the house that youve been putting off. i used to drink 4 big glasses every night n then after about a month of only having it on the weekends, i really didnt even want it that much anymore and ended up skipping it on the weekends. plus when you do drink, you end up drinking less because your tolerance has gone down. i had 2 glasses the other night and woooo i lost my purse haha you'll be fine ;)