What do you eat if you do IF/ 5:2 diet?

Options
Since I've been on MFP I've seen a lot of talk about IF & the 5:2 diet.
For those of you that have done/ are doing this & found it successful, what kinds of foods do you consume on your down/ reduced calorie days? (Like the 500 calorie day.)

Do you eat whatever? Do you notice a difference particularly on those days if you eat more protein? More carbs? Veggies? Liquids?

I try to look at things I don't know personally objectively so I can better understand them, & wanted a thread about this certain type of consumption style without necessarily promoting it or debunking it. I understand different things work for different people & I respect that.
Thanks in advance! :smile:

Replies

• apricotlil
    Options
    Everything needs to be measured carefully on your 500 calorie days.
    I skip breakfast - well I have a cup of tea using milk from my 1/4 cup (counted)
    I use a measured amount of organic veggie broth to cook in if I need at lunch then use the rest for evening.
    Then for lunch I have a hardboiled egg and green salad with a bit of balsamic vinegar/ or even better an egg white omelet with a little onion and red pepper (1/4 cup each)
    About 4pm I have a chiobani fruit fat free greek yoghurt
    Supper - it would seem that portabella mushrooms are made of air - last night had with some ragu sauce on the shiritaki noodles (0 calories) - even with a couple of teaspoons of parmesan on it! Sometimes I have made a tomato soup with onions, garlic, red pepper and a can of tomatoes. followed by the remainder of the onions/pepper with portabella mushrooms. Another good one is the cabbage chicken soup. or a small piece of fish and salad.
    Yesterday was the first time I way hungry on the fast day and I drank extra water which was good.
    I always feel great the next day after fasting - clean, etc.
    One person says to eat doll sized portions of 'normal' food however I think this would be more frustrating and I thoroughly enjoy what I am having and am always right at 500 or slightly under. My husband has the same supper - slightly modified for him and has enjoyed the food (he is not doing the 5:2 diet)
    Good luck.
  • adozenunholyowls
    adozenunholyowls Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm really curious about this diet and my copy of Michael Mosley's book just arrived today. There's another thread on the subject here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/870476-5-2-fasting-diet-anyone

The book has lots of examples for 500 cal meals, but I'd need to eat 3 times a day I think, at least at first. Something like miso soup though, is filling and only 20 cals.

One of the people who posted on the above thread says there's a dedicated MFP group for this diet if that would help? :)

Good luck if you try it!
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I am finding it has increased my vegetable intake as they are low calories so easy go-tos for 'fast' days.

I am wrapping boiled egg whites, cherry tomatoes and very thinly sliced ham up in lettuce leaves - takes up a lot of room on a plate, is satisfyingly crunchy, good source of protein and so yummy I will eat them on 'feed' days too (but add cheese and hummus). I have raw carrot batons at the ready for when I just want something to crunch on too.

I have also found a very low calorie curry soup (MTR Kadhi Pakora) which i enjoy so I have that most days.

Protein, veg and plenty of herbal tea and water is the way to go.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    the version of IF that i do is called Leangains 16 hr fast and 8 hour window to eat each day and ive been on it for 2 years

more info at www.leangains.com

Its helped me lose weight, bulk up, and achieve single digit BF%.

I eat high protein each day (1g per body weight) and fluctuate carbs and fat depending on if its a workout day or not (i.e. high carbs and low fat on workout day and low carb high-ish fat on rest days)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    For really low days on 5:2 or just calorie cycling in general, I think it's most important to get your protein and then fill in the rest with veggies. I don't generally go as low as 500 but will cycle down around 800 calories, and it's easy to feel full doing that. Egg and veggie scramble for breakfast; salad with protein and light dressing for lunch; and protein and veggies for dinner. I'm eating very low calories for most of this week to make up for really high last week and to save some for superbowl. My diary is open if you want to see what 800 to 1000 looks like for a few days.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    I cut out lots of carbs and save my small amount of protein for an evening meal.

I eat at regular times but it's all fruit, salad and veg. In addition yesterday, for example, I had one shredded wheat with milk for breakfast, plus a banana. For dinner it was about 10g (dry weight) rice with 125g prawns in a tomato, onion, lime, coconut milk and tamarind sauce.

I don't count calories on my 'fasting' days; I don't have time once I've chewed through mountains of carrots and leaves. I don't get hungry because I just have some carrots or something else very low cal to fill the gap.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Jesus...another Dr. with a product to sell people on the idea of cutting calories. It doesn't matter. Do whatever you like, eat whatever you like, whatever is comfortable,but stay in caloric deficit that is moderate over the course of most days. Do you like carbs, do you like fat, do you like protein? There's only three choices. The question is how long is someone going to eat this way, then you'll need to relearn ....again...for the 400th time, after trying some other fad. Damn I need to write a book. Damn I think I will. Damn noone will buy it because it will tell the truth.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Jesus...another Dr. with a product to sell people on the idea of cutting calories. It doesn't matter. Do whatever you like, eat whatever you like, whatever is comfortable,but stay in caloric deficit that is moderate over the course of most days. Do you like carbs, do you like fat, do you like protein? There's only three choices. The question is how long is someone going to eat this way, then you'll need to relearn ....again...for the 400th time, after trying some other fad. Damn I need to write a book. Damn I think I will. Damn noone will buy it because it will tell the truth.

Intermittent Fasting is sustainable and healthy. I personally have been doing it for over a year with great results, and intend to maintain this way for the rest of my life.

To the OP: As you mentioned, everyone is different and needs to find the right combination to keep satiated on the fast days. I need a combination of protein and bulk and will often have just tea or coffee for breakfast, chili for lunch, and fish and a vegetable for dinner. You're more than welcome to look at my diaries if you're not offended by lots of fast food and wine on higher calorie days. ;-)
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    So most people on these types of "diets" find that lots of protein & vegetables is what works best for them on their fasting/ low-cal days/ times? Do many vegetarians do this kind too or is it more difficult for them?

Edit: To the poster above me: I'm not offended by other people's diaries, it's their business & whatever works for them. I don't eat fast food though.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options

Intermittent Fasting is sustainable and healthy. I personally have been doing it for over a year with great results, and intend to maintain this way for the rest of my life.

To the OP: As you mentioned, everyone is different and needs to find the right combination to keep satiated on the fast days. I need a combination of protein and bulk and will often have just tea or coffee for breakfast, chili for lunch, and fish and a vegetable for dinner. You're more than welcome to look at my diaries if you're not offended by lots of fast food and wine on higher calorie days. ;-)
    I actually do "Intermittent Fasting" and traditional fasting. Way before it was a fad or had a name. The ultimate point is that it doesn't matter when you eat or how much, and neither will make a measurable difference in weight loss over time as opposed to another as long as intake is at a deficit, unless of course undereating is involved like the HCG diets. The point is that someone came along and wrote a book about it, threw some numbers and a colon in and nothing has changed. The research has been done. If you want to eat 500 calories or 0 on some certain day, it doesn't matter. You need a certain number of calories per body mass, and you need a managed deficit. it's almost gotten to fad diet status and people are stressing themselves over things that don't need to be worried about just because of some specific ratio or time frame, etc. I'm a proponent for I-fasting and traditional fasting for it's benefits beside a weight loss tool. People are putting their health AFTER weight loss and I don't understand this. Then they say how much weight they loss because they're brainwashed into thinking that weight loss is the ultimate goal for a heavier person, when health should be, then the rest will automatically follow. Weight/fat loss is simple. Maybe not easy, but simple. Some guy wants to cash in on the fad and complicates it! Now, well one can say "it works" because they lost weight, even though they aren't taught that weight loss is healthy or unhealthy, like losing weight while eating a bunch of fast food as you admit? But IF is healthy? Never mind the metabolic damage or otherwise damage one might be doing, that noone talks about or understands, because oh well "it works" to lose weight. ALL malnourished people lose weight. That's my point.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a means to health if one is obese, though not the "only" yardstick by which to measure. I see your point and agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I think there are extenuating circumstances in every situation. I know myself well enough to know that I can't follow a very restrictive diet for any extended period of time. I usually last about 3 months and throw in the towel. I need to be able to have treats and convenience foods to make it a lifestyle for me. IF allows me to do that and still have the results which keep me motivated to continue.

If you compare my health today with my health a year ago, it has drastically improved. The weight loss is the primary reason for that. If I hadn't lost 100+ pounds, I wouldn't be able to do the exercise I do or have the stamina I have. The beauty of IF is that you can choose what foods fit into your lifestyle, be they low carb choices, whole foods, or even junk. I eat out a lot, but will choose the turkey burger over the cheeseburger, rarely have fries or deserts, but just knowing I can if I want to takes away the taboo. For me, it's a mental thing. I freely admit that.

I do not suffer from malnutrition. There's no reason to assume metabolic damage is occuring. There are numerous health benefits associated with the activation of the sirtuin enzymes that occurs with fasting; cell repair, decrease in inflammation, increase in longevity, benefits to asthma sufferers, etc.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I only just started IF, but I'm eating 1300 to 1400 like normal. The only difference is that I eat this in an 8 hour window, then eat nothing until the next day.
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    Jesus...another Dr. with a product to sell people

Who is the doctor? What is he selling?

I haven't bought anything!

I read about this 5:2 thing in the Guardian in Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's column. He's a chap whose opinions I value so I thought I'd give this a try as it has worked for him.

Actually this suits my lifestyle very well as I have two really busy days when I often eat very little - I just now make a point of making these meals very low calorie (I don't count the calories though) and avoiding unhealthy, lazy late night snacks when I do actually get a little time to myself. The fasting days therefore pass very quickly and painlessly and I'm really feeling the benefit of having a LOT more fruit, veg and salad going through the system!

I'm not stressed about it. Are you? You sound like you are!
    Jane
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

It doesn't meet my definition of a fad diet. It actually promotes health rather than just weight loss. No "special" foods, no banned foods, no "magic" pills. it was originally commissioned for a documentary for a science program rather than as a money spinning venture. Just a variant on what millions of people have been doing for thousands of years. It's entirely sustainable for as long as you want it to be.

As for the OP - I lean towards protein, veggies, salads and low GI fruit such as strawberries and blueberries on the fasting days.