Running shoes

Options
hi guys i have been running for around a year now and i think my shoes have worn out, i am now getting pains in my shins whist running, having googled it i found out that a major cause of this is shoes

so i am now about to buy new shoes

any recommendations

thanks

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store (not a big chain shoe store) and have them check your gait. They will suggest the right shoe for you.
  • charlottefairbairn
    Options
    Runners Need in Holborn is where I've always got my shoes. They do video gait analysis and are very knowledgeable.

They are a chain so you can expect the same service in any branch, but Holborn is my fave :)

There's also Run and Become (Victoria) and Sweatshop (Fulham) (but again, both are chains) who offer a similar service.

I'd be wary of anyone who does it based on sight (i.e. it's not video gait analysis, they just watch you run and then tell you if it's any good or not) - it's better to get a more scientific approach to these things.

Finally - a YEAR in the same running shoes is asking for trouble, although it's dependent on the density of your training. A pair of running shoes should last around 500 miles. I tend to get a new pair every six months, or one per marathon, whichever is longer. You should be training in the shoes you want to complete your marathon in - a sixteen week training programme will easily get you up to around 400-500 miles in that time.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Find a local running store (not a big chain shoe store) and have them check your gait. They will suggest the right shoe for you.

I second this. The correct shoes can help stop many injuries.