New with underactive thyroid! Any tips!?

Options
2»

Replies

• ezBrizy
    ezBrizy Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 22 which has now led to PCOS. So I definitely feel your pain. If you haven't already, see an endocrinologist. It was the best thing I did. My GP managed my thyroid but my Endo really helped me get control over all of the issues that come along with it. Also if you take a multivitamin, make sure it's 4 or more hrs after you take your thyroid medication. I forgot the details but it's something that medication binds to that keeps you from absorbing it properly. Good luck!

Here's a group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1978-underactive-thyroid-sufferers
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with Graves when I was 15, then after heavy meds it went into remission and came back as fierce Hashimotos when I was 25. I have been battling it ever since. I had been stable for a really long time and feeling great after switching from Levothyroxine to Armour thyroid about 2 years ago, what a huge difference. I was on 120mg of Armour. Then a few months ago Walgreens started giving me the generic Thyroid NP and it shows how sensitive our thyroid is, because I had my bloodwork last week And my TSH is now 20.0 crazy under active again - T3 free is low and so is T4 free. My meds have been increased and I am sure all will level out again in the next few weeks or so. This is why it's so important to get bloodwork done every six months and to get the right labs done. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com and read on the recommended labs you should have done. Do not just have TSH done - there are other tests you should have too like T4 free and T3 free, Reverse t3, vitamin D, B12, ferratin, thyroid antibodies (in case you have Hashimoto's like me). I dictate my outcome because I have educated myself with what I need and base it on how I feel - and luckily I have a great GP that just follows my lead (somewhat scary but true) all you need to know is on that website. Read until you can't read anymore. One thing I can promise you is that if you stay on top of it, your meds are correct and you exercise and eat right it may be harder but you can lose just as much as anyone else.
  • DKrisAn
    DKrisAn Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism when I was 11 years old. With exercise and watching calories I eat around 1400 calories and excercise with various workout DVDs.

Three years ago I lost 65lbs and was down to 149lbs.
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I forgot to put that I eat 1700-2000 calories per day and that's with a suppressed thyroid. Don't let your thyroid scare you away from eating the correct amount of calories for your activity level.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I forgot to put that I eat 1700-2000 calories per day and that's with a suppressed thyroid. Don't let your thyroid scare you away from eating the correct amount of calories for your activity level.

THIS. Many people with thyroid issues mistakenly think "I have to work so much harder... so I have to workout more than the average person, and eat less than the average person." Nope! Eat at least your BMR, try TDEE -20%, etc. etc. Watch certain foods you eat in conjunction with your pill (watch calcium/Vit. C, which can affect absorption), you can TRY watching carbs (my endo suggests staying under 180g, but even that is not a necessity), and *I* personally recommend picking up weights. It is tremendous in helping all of my issues, there's some science that it actually does help regulate hormones (including T3 and calcitonin), and it will help recompose your body despite a sluggish metabolism.

Just keep at a sustainable diet (and I mean diet in terms of just what you're eating); if you're at the stage of always having doses tweaked, that means your levels still aren't quite stable, which can put a real wrench in weight loss (I know it, girl). If you have the set habits of a good balance of calories in vs. calories out, when things are finally regulated, weight loss will come off like any other person.

And just a smaller aside... any way to see an endo instead of a GP? Most endos will know that "switching" a dose every three months isn't conducive, as it takes six months to really see the effects of a new dose.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    And just a smaller aside... any way to see an endo instead of a GP? Most endos will know that "switching" a dose every three months isn't conducive, as it takes six months to really see the effects of a new dose.

This is INCORRECT. It takes only 6-8 weeks to see the maximum effect of a dose change.
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    Hi. I'm 23 with an underactive thyroid (Hypothyroidism) and anyone who has the same knows how sluggish and hard it is to loose weight and stay awake for that matter! Looking for some tips on how to get a good start to shedding the pounds and also any metabolism boost's!!! :yawn:

1. Are you on any thyroid meds? Is it a T4-only med like Synthroid or Levothyroxine?

2. Does your doctor test just TSH? TSH is a pituitary hormone, not a thyroid one, and doesn't give the full picture. You need to have your free (not total) T3 and free T4 tested. If you ARE on a T4-only med then it's especially important to have your free T3 tested. (your body creates T3, the active thyroid hormone, from T4 -- but it often struggles to convert the synthetic T4)

3. Have you been tested to see if the source of your hypothyroid is Hashimoto's, and autoimmune disease? They would test anti-TPO antibodies to check for this.

4. Google "goitrogenic foods", and try to avoid these (raw; cooked is ok). As with what others says, try to eliminate soy.

5. If you're on thyroid meds and take them in the morning, make sure to a) wait 45-60 minutes before eating and b) avoid calcium and iron (pills or food) until 4+ hours after taking your thyroid meds.

6. Have you had your Vit D levels tested?
  • islandmonkey
    Options
    I have graves disease and have found it very difficult. I'm on medication and have been for about a year and a half and it just seems like the weight will not budge.

Are you on methimazole/tapazole, or on PTU? I went hypo from methimazole within 4 weeks, and many doctors end up over-medicating women with graves. You sound over-medicated.

Does your doctor test your free T3 and free T4, or just your TSH?