How did you set your weight target ???

Options
Hi
I originally thought I would aim to lose 3 stone (42 pounds) and have now done this. I currently weigh 164 pounds at a height of 5 feet 7 and half inches.... However
The average correct weight for a man of my height is 146 pounds. This seems extreme - what do you think I should aim for ??.
How have you set your own final weight target ??.
Thank you for your kind assistance.
Ian

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. There is usually a range of weights that are healthy for any given height, this is because not everyone is built the same. There is never a hard core number for some one 5 foot 7 (for example). Best thing to do is ask yourself how do you feel? Is this a weight I can maintain?

For instance I am 5'3. For my height the weight range is 113 to 141. That is quite a large range but when I lost weight several years ago I got to 130 and my husband looked at me and said, your bones are sticking out and your face is sunk in, please do not lose any more. What I found was that 135 was a good weight for me. I could maintain it and I did not look sickly. For another women 5'3 that weight might have made her feel heavy.

So look for a weight range and see where you fall and then ask yourself how do I feel now? Do I just need to tone up or do I go another 5lbs and see.
  • damiannikodem
    damiannikodem Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    originally I picked something in the 'average' range for my height.

A month later we got scales that do body fat% and I instead took my lean mass and added 10% (which ended up being 5kg more than my initial target and put me onto the borderline for overweight)

I will revisit this when I hit my target, but I have a feeling it is going to include weight gain with a lower fat % score.
  • OliveRiver
    OliveRiver Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As the first commenter has already pointed out, there is a range for each height/body type. You just have to experiment with it and find what's most comfortable and maintainable for you.

I'm 5'6 and currently weigh in at 138. That puts me in the healthy range for my height, but it still leaves a little to be lost for me personally. My ultimate goal is to get to 110-115 and down to 6% BF. I haven't written down my BF% in a few months but it's probably about 12-16% at the moment.

Just study up on what your specific weight range is and go from there to decide where you fall on that scale.
  • P05T5CRIPT
    P05T5CRIPT Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I went by the average weight for my height (5'6"), which is 150lbs. I am currently 180lbs (having lost 72lbs since June 2012). I think 150 may be too small for me, and am aiming more for 160, as I set myself the target of being a size 14 (UK) and I am already that, so am hoping by the time I hit 160lbs I will be a size 12, which was my dream goal....now becoming a reality :flowerforyou:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    It seems like when people reach their goal weight, a lot of them are still not happy with their body, so they try to lose more weight. I would forget the norms and averages and pick a goal that isn't weight. Maybe a fitness goal (whether running a marathon or squatting twice your body weight) or a particular bf%. Ignore weight and try to get to that goal.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I don't put much stock in weight range charts because they are outdated and do not really reflect an athletic build favorably. For example, I am just under 5'8" and most weight charts have a range between 121 lbs to 162 lbs to not be considered "obese." Honestly, my goal is 185 lbs at 7% body fat. Thus, I'm completely ignoring the weight/BMI charts because of their silliness.
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the person.

I was 97lbs at one point and looked awful. I was 110 observed another time and looked good. Right now I'm aiming for 115, and reevaluate then. I'm 5'2" (give or take, probably closer to 5'1"), and I have a small frame under this flab lol. I know it because I've seen it before!
  • SaraNiyah
    Options
    Rather then calculating in weight calculate in body fat percent. Every body is different so your lean mass will be different to someone with same height and such.
    There are awesome calculators online that help you calculate your current percentage and with help of that you can calculate your lean mass and how much would be ideal for you and so on.
    I don't know if I can post links here so if you want the calculator link pm me :)
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I changed mine several times as I lost. Started with a goal of 125 (from 150) because I'm 47 and was worried about wrinkles and extra skin. Got there and wasn't satisfied, so adjusted to 118, then 113. After I reached 113, I had a hard time getting my mind wrapped around eating enough to maintain, so I lost a few more. Now I bounce between 111 and 109. I'm happy here.

Oh, and it's all about frame size. I have a small frame, so I am comfortable at the low end of the "charts." I have 20% body fat at present, which is ideal for my age, but I'd like to get a little lower. When I turned 40, I was at 18%, and I'd like to be there again by 50.
  • SaraNiyah
    Options
    Rather then calculating in weight calculate in body fat percent. Every body is different so your lean mass will be different to someone with same height and such.
    There are awesome calculators online that help you calculate your current percentage and with help of that you can calculate your lean mass and how much would be ideal for you and so on.
    I don't know if I can post links here so if you want the calculator link pm me :)
  • badmojo108
    Options
    It's been a bit of a moving target for me. When I 245, I was sure 200 would the weight I would be happy with. Obviously I underestimated how unhealthy I was, so when I got there I was not happy with it, still way to much fat. So moved the goal posts again to 190 and the same thing happened.

Most recently, since I have been tracking my weight and BF% (Using a BIA device, not super accurate, but good enough for my trend tracking purposes) for the last 15 weeks, based on that I know on average I lose 4lbs of fat for every pound of Lean Body Mass. Assuming that ratio stays the same I am projecting I'll hit around 15% BF at around 160 so that's my current goal and I'll re-evaluate when I get there.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I picked 170 because it's the high end of a healthy weight for my height/frame. I have no idea what I'll look like since I've been over 200 pounds since I was 12 (I'm 27 now). I will adjust my goal as I get closer based on how I look/feel and how my body comp. changes with exercise.
  • Cynclancurrie
    Options
    You look really good. Are you taking into consideration that you have a muscular torso and legs, and that muscle weighs more than fat? Unless your goal is to be a movie star, I would say your new challenge is maintenance. Swimmers need muscle to get around in the water, and basically it is all about how you feel, in energy and strength. Staying strong and active is the ultimate goal for all of us.
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My goals were:
    - Hit the top end of healthy BMI for my height, which is 154lbs
    - Have a waist measurement less than half my height
    - Have a body fat percentage in the healthy range

I have 10lbs to go to hit the first target, but have hit the other two so I'm not going to stress too much about hitting the BMI one. If I get there then great, if I don't its not the end of the world.
  • irenematilda
    irenematilda Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been 121lbs before and known it, and thought I looked scrawny, believing my 'healthiest' weight to be around 126. However, I recently found the clinic card that gave details of my first maternity appointment with my oldest, and I was amazed to discover that I was 121lbs at the time. Back then, I'd developed a seriously bad potato crisp habit out of nowhere (which was what eventually clued me in to the fact I was pregnant) and genuinely thought I was fat. Knowing now the way the mind can play tricks like this, I'm aiming for 121 but am not setting that entirely in stone and am ready to adjust it a bit when I get closer. Much closer. *Sigh... :)
  • ianlikesholidays
    ianlikesholidays Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    Thank you for your replys.
    I have now measured my body fat percentage...This is below the maximum threshold for being healthy.
    Good luck with your individual weight loss journey's.
    Ian
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    mines rounded down to the nearest ten under the last time i felt fantastic about my body. once i get there, i'll see if i need to go down into the next decade :laugh:
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is pretty much a random number I plucked out of my head. I’m just going to switch to maintenance when I’m happy with what I see. They say if you lift weights, you will reach your goal body long before you reach your goal weight, so the scale isn’t the most important thing to me.
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I say stay where you are comfortable. im 5'7 and I have seen that the weight for women my height is 140-160. I want to be 130.
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I don't put much stock in weight range charts because they are outdated and do not really reflect an athletic build favorably. For example, I am just under 5'8" and most weight charts have a range between 121 lbs to 162 lbs to not be considered "obese." Honestly, my goal is 185 lbs at 7% body fat. Thus, I'm completely ignoring the weight/BMI charts because of their silliness.
    I agree, I mean someone who weighs 140 could look totally different to someone else the same weight and height! Im 5"5, 164lbs and Uk size 12 (theyr too big but 10s too small) People never believe im the weight I am and always think im less. Im going by clothes size now, when im a 10 in most shops il stop, im aiming for another 2-3 inches off waist and 1/2 off hips