Monthly Challenge Ideas

Options
Good morning!

So I am helping a friend with her "fitness" group on Facebook. They are all pretty lazy and unmotivated. I started doing some monthly challenges for them. In November, we did something similar to the Move Your A$s challenge on here and about 6 people gave mileage goals for the month. The highest one (not including moine) was only 40 miles for the month. Only half the people completed their goal. For December, we did a Move 20 Minutes a Day challenge. I was the only one who did it every day. There were some people who didn't notice the challenge in December and wanted to repeat it for January. It looks like there may be two of us in January who actually complete it.

So I am looking for some ideas for February. We are all already involved in a % of weight lost challenge through the end of March (not sure how many will follow through on it). Any other ideas? Something that will be a challenge, but apparently not too much of one since I can't seem to find a way to get these people motivated.

THANKS!

Replies

• jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    If you're dealing with people for who moving 20 minutes a day was a challenge (and one they couldn't do),you have to start small. I'm sure the person who has a mileage goal of 40 miles thought this was a difficult goal.

Try something smaller, like a weekly goal Maybe every Sunday, ask them to set a mileage goal for the following week.

And above all, be positive and supporting. 40 miles in a month for an overweight person who has never run or even walked much is a big deal.
  • kimiryder
    kimiryder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    my family is doing a similar challenge this spring. we are also doing mothy challenges with it, and the looser has to pay money into the pot. that seems to be giving good motivation. we have not made every challenge about exercise or moving, but some of our suggested have been wear a pedometer and who ever walks the most steps that month does not have to pay, stairs challenge, go up and down the stairs 20 times per day ( could make less or more depending on fitness level), 1 hour of physical activity at least 3x per week. journal food every day, eat 3-4 cups of veggies everyday, no soda for a month. hope some of these help, good luck with motivating your group
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    If you're dealing with people for who moving 20 minutes a day was a challenge (and one they couldn't do),you have to start small. I'm sure the person who has a mileage goal of 40 miles thought this was a difficult goal.

Try something smaller, like a weekly goal Maybe every Sunday, ask them to set a mileage goal for the following week.

And above all, be positive and supporting. 40 miles in a month for an overweight person who has never run or even walked much is a big deal.

Just so you think I'm not being truly mean...I know 40 miles in a month of walking or running only might be tough, but this included any miles...elliptical, swimming, biking. They had access to this. So to get 40 miles, all they really had to do was get on a stationary bike twice a week for 30 minutes each time. Also they have been exercising so it isn't all new. But I totally get your point...I thought 20 minutes a day was a small and reasonable goal. I suggested putting small weights by the couch so even on days when you just don't think you have time, pick them up and move your arms for 20 minutes while watching TV (since they all have 20 minutes a day for that!). Still didn't work. The weekly challenge might work better....give them 7 days to do a certain set of exercises. Maybe that will get a better turnout and therefore more enthusiasm for it.

Kimiryder, The idea for money for losing is a good one, but I don't really know the people in this group and they are not local. Money would motivate me that's for sure! I like all your other suggestions as well!

Thanks!
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Just so you think I'm not being truly mean...I know 40 miles in a month of walking or running only might be tough, but this included any miles...elliptical, swimming, biking. They had access to this. So to get 40 miles, all they really had to do was get on a stationary bike twice a week for 30 minutes each time. Also they have been exercising so it isn't all new. But I totally get your point...I thought 20 minutes a day was a small and reasonable goal. I suggested putting small weights by the couch so even on days when you just don't think you have time, pick them up and move your arms for 20 minutes while watching TV (since they all have 20 minutes a day for that!). Still didn't work. The weekly challenge might work better....give them 7 days to do a certain set of exercises. Maybe that will get a better turnout and therefore more enthusiasm for it.

Kimiryder, The idea for money for losing is a good one, but I don't really know the people in this group and they are not local. Money would motivate me that's for sure! I like all your other suggestions as well!

Thanks!

Just building on this, perhaps something more specific like "walk 20 minutes instead of watching TV", "10 minutes of calisthenics before getting ready for work", etc.