In need of some encouragement....

Options
I joined MFP mid to late November. There was a few weeks in December where I stopped eating right and going to the gym due to very busy schedule, travelling, etc (lame excuses, but it is the truth).
Usually I get to the gym 4-5 times a week and do 30 mins of weights and 20 mins of cardio.
Last week was bad due to stress/depression and I only went once.
For the most part I stay within my calories... however I do try and log everything even when it is a bad day.

Over all, I am eating WAY less than I used to and working out more despite having some bad weeks.

My scale was off for the first month until I realized it wasn't balanced and suddenly was down 5 lbs lol due to this error. Then I think I had lost 3 lbs, but now it looks like I am right back to where I started.

I realize I could be more strict with my diet... or more vigorous with my workouts... and maybe that is what I need to do. I really am trying my best (or I thought I was)...

so other than the obvious....

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? I am starting to lose hope a bit.

Thanks.

Replies

• Kellyeee2013
    Options
    I should also add that in the evenings I find myself craving really bad things like fries, chips, etc. and I just wanna eat even though I am not hungry. I find this challenging.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Weight, height, target weight. How many calories are you eating per day? Do you eat back your exercise calories? Sometimes we all hit a slump. At those times you just have to force yourself, because for some of us, we won't feel like doing it every day.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    And friend me if you like- I'm on here a lot and I will encourage you.
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    Height: 5'5 (65.1 cm)
    Weight: 195 lbs (88.45kg)
    Calorie intake: 1330 (although I had it at 1550 but JUST changed it)
    Target weight: 140 lbs

I try not to eat back calories I have burned. I have calculated my daily calories needed BASED on the fact I workout 3-5 x a week.
  • rdub98
    rdub98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've run into the same type of thing many times. I can tell you that quitting smoking is very similar to losing weight. It took me so many times attempting to quit, I thought I would never accomplish it. Finally about 4 and a hlaf years ago, something clicked and I was able to do it. I find that the same principles apply to losing weight. Yeah, I faulter quite a bit, and I have tried losing weight so many times it is not funny (most of the time I end up net zero for the year). However, the one thing you need to keep in mind is that you CAN'T give up no matter how many times you fall down. As long as you pick yourself back up and get back to it, eventually you will hit a stride that is comfortable and will enable you to lose the weight you want. You are building a good habit and replacing a bad one and your body will fight you every step of the way.

I find it necessary to go back to the basics whenever I fall and can't seem to get back up. Eat a well balanced diet of protein, good carbs, and good fats. USE PORTION CONTROL (this is one of the most important aspects of it), drink plenty of water as it is the catalyst to help you burn those calories, and cut down DRASTICALLY on your salt intake. Do an exercise you enjoy, but don't overdo it because you don't want to burn out and stop all together.

One of the other things I find helps me is to pick a day during the week to weigh and weigh that same day every week, but don't dwell on the scale. Along with that, the day after you weigh should be a free day to eat what you want within reason and relax. That way you have the rest of the week to work on weight loss. The free day give you something to look forward to and give you something to strive for (after a while, your body gets used to the eating right and exercise and your will find yourself not taking as many free days).

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: DON'T GIVE UP! Keep doing it. If you fall, take the time you need to get back up, but GET BACK UP!

Good luck and feel free to emai me if you have questions.
  • misslibbyh
    misslibbyh Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I've heard people say that setting your status to sedentary means you can eat back the calories you burn on the days you burn them. I don't know but it sounds like if might be a more accurate way to handle input and output. Anyone feel free to correct me on this I'm just guessing. At any rate it has taken me years to get to the point where I am ready to accept this lifestyle change. I will feel so much better eating healthier no matter how slow or fast I lose the weight that I am willing to keep at it no matter what. You are doing your body a huge favor by sticking with it even on the bad days. Just keep trying and you'll find things that work for you. Be patient with yourself. =) I'm also here for adding if you like. =)