A Success story from someone who eats 1200 calories

Options

Replies

• purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    1200 calories threads never end well.

That's not what this is. This is a success thread in the success section.

I know where this threads resides, but I have noticed that ANY thread that revolves around 1200 calories has controversy.
  • jenjenn76
    Options
    Congratulations on your great loss and keep up the good work! Everyone should take into consideration how much you weigh and how much you work out. These things play a big part in how many calories you should eat. I eat 1200 a day on average. When I work out sometimes I hit 1400 or so. The more you weigh - the more you can eat and still lose weight because you have more weight to lose. That's my theory anyway :)
  • evdenapoli
    evdenapoli Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    FTR, I eat over 3000 cals. Just sayin'. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And one of us will still look like this in two years. Can you guess which one?

I kinda agree with this.. I do 1240 cals/ day now.. but as I get closer to my goal weight.. I will add a bit bore because 1200/day I feel is not very realistic for life :)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Wow! There is so much unsolicited advice going on around here... why can't people just say "good job" to the OP and move on!

Again to the OP, great job! You have done something that I have yet to do... keep up the good work and I hope that you are successful in meeting your goals!

The OP implied that you can gain on 1600-1800 calories to a size 26... that's part of why. I was there too and I guarantee I wasn't eating 1600-1800 a day, more like twice that and half the exercise I do now.

I am happy for her loss, but wanted to put my two cents in that not everyone gains on a moderately low cal diet.

I didn't read it like that... I read personal pronouns in her OP and in replies...
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Since there are many that believe eating 1200 calories works and you look great...... post some pics... let us see your results...

Go look at my profile pics if you want to see long-term results from someone on a base of 1200 calories. Although I'm still waiting on the photographers in my family to send me a really good pic of me at a really horrible weight. But for now the one of me in pigtails looking like Godzilla about to stomp Tokyo is a fair enough example of me at over 220 pounds.

My diary is also open, you can look back and see that during weeks or months where I ate over 1200 I didn't lose any weight.

Oh and I have plenty of muscle. Most is hidden but my thighs are rock solid on the outsides and freaking huge (probably from carrying my fat *kitten* around when I was so huge). I got a free session at my gym with a trainer and the trainer even commented on them. I also have some concealed guns around here somewhere, 10-15 more pounds trimmed off and they should start showing. So I'm not done yet, but I'm close, and I'm not a frail weakling, either.
  • kaseysospacey
    kaseysospacey Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    FTR, I eat over 3000 cals. Just sayin'. There's more than one way to skin a cat. And one of us will still look like this in two years. Can you guess which one?

What is relevant to a (Im guessing middle aged) woman is not relevant to a male body builder.
  • yuckidah
    yuckidah Posts: 290 Member
    Options

I'm pretty sure the OP was saying she gains eating 1600-1800, correct me if I am wrong but that is how I had read it. Which is what happens to me. This past weekend I ate at least 2000 calories and ended up gaining 5 lbs over night, which I am sure was mostly the sodium in what I had and water weight, but it I eat over 1400 I gain, if I eat right at 1400 that is my maintenance mode, 1300 I still will not lose anything.

Me too - I gain weight eating over 1400(ish) so I stick to 1200 (often a little less) without any great difficulty.
    Yes, if I exercised I could probably get away with upping it slightly but, for me, I feel better at 1200.
    A lot of people seem unable to grasp the concept that SOME of us have a very very low calorie requirement - hence many of us got fat eating next to nothing in the first place.
    I always say I dieted my way up to 230lbs and it's absolutely true!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I actually took the time to review the OPs diary, which reveals that she is not even eating 1200 calories. It also seems to me her diet is full of processed foods so the claim that she is eating healthy is also debunked.

I am not saying these things because I am wanting to bash the OP, but rather that the way she is going about it is not exactly the best.

If you are new and confused, please find someone that is successful and ask them how they did it.

Good luck, I am out.
  • Marie12059
    Options
    i totally agree! its quite often i barely get 1100, all veggies, beans, and 2 apples a day doesnt add up to much! and my blood work is all perfect. plenty of proteins daily.
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I don't think people hate on 1200 threads, I just think people are naturally band wagon jumpers. They will agree with whatever the crowd mentality is. Sheep. Baaa
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Wow! There is so much unsolicited advice going on around here... why can't people just say "good job" to the OP and move on!

Again to the OP, great job! You have done something that I have yet to do... keep up the good work and I hope that you are successful in meeting your goals!

The OP implied that you can gain on 1600-1800 calories to a size 26... that's part of why. I was there too and I guarantee I wasn't eating 1600-1800 a day, more like twice that and half the exercise I do now.

I am happy for her loss, but wanted to put my two cents in that not everyone gains on a moderately low cal diet.

No, she said she gained on 1600-1800 calories. She didn't say anything about you. She never implied that everyone was like her.
  • sardesc
    sardesc Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 '1 and after losing my weight from two pregnancies, my goal has been to build muscle. The last time I had the measurements I have now, I weighed 15 pounds less. I always eat my exercise calories back and I net 1400 (exercise usually 400 per day). It would be really hard for me to eat 1200, even considering how low my BMR is due to my small size. I screwed up my metabolism in my twenties eating too little which made it so hard to maintain my weight back then. If you can eat 1200 for the rest of your life and be happy, good for you.
  • Kimestry101
    Options
    YAY! I eat at 1200 calorie plus exercise three times a day without eating back all my calories. Days I exercise I may give myself an additional 150 calories if my body needs it and I"m extra hungry. But most day nothing over 1200. This doesn't make us wrong. My doctor says I'm fine. I'm full and I'm eating clean. I'm glad to see others like me. We get criticized bc I believe ppl with less discipline are upset with themselves. I lose on average 4-5 pounds a week. I will up my calories once I am close to my goal and find a balance that will maintain weight loss with my physician and nutritionist. Keep doing what you're doing bc you are doing.
  • jerryallegood
    jerryallegood Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is successfurl with the 1200 baseline. 1400 colories should help most people loose.
    The more you exercise, the more the body requires.
    I am set at 1900 for gradual loss. I may jump down to 1700 to accelerate the loss.
    Some days my workouts demands 1600-1800 to keep from dropping below the starvation line. We are all different. Good Job if you have enough energy. Keep it up as long as you eat enough to fuel your body and stay in calorie burn mode. Some people can exercise and still maintain 1200 without going intos starvaton mode. We all are a little different. Congratulations!!
    :happy:
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Since there are many that believe eating 1200 calories works and you look great...... post some pics... let us see your results...

If the OP (or anyone else who eats 1200 calories a day) thinks she looks great and has seen some results, who are you to dis them?

Never did I read the OP telling others to do what she does. She's saying it's worked for her. She's lost weight, and she looks good compared to what she thinks she looked like.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options

2 year's ago I looked like this
    250.jpg

Now I look like this
    488365_330666263696160_1790079908_n.jpg

Oh and BTW, this is 2 year's of 1200 calories a day. So I guess we know who is gonna change, but whatever works for you. I won't bash you so please don't be a douche and bash people who feel this way works for them.
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    i eat around 1500 calories a day and more if i exercise and am losing at about 1-2 pounds a week. i have about 80 pounds to lose so this calorie amount works for me. once i have less to lose, my calorie amount will have to decrease. everyone is different. as long as you have energy and your doctor gives the thumbs up, than you're all good!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

2 year's ago I looked like this
    250.jpg

Now I look like this
    488365_330666263696160_1790079908_n.jpg

Oh and BTW, this is 2 year's of 1200 calories a day. So I guess we know who is gonna change, but whatever works for you. I won't bash you so please don't be a douche and bash people who feel this way works for them.

Where is my like button? Damn you, MFP, where is that button? :drinker:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    congrats! I hope I can keep at it. My doctor years ago told me I needed to be at 1200 calories yikes! My hardest part is when you make stuff from scratch it is hard to figure out calorie counts, so I have to wing it a lot. Hoping the 1200 pays off soon this sucks lol

use the recipe builder in MFP to calculate homemade dish calorie counts. It is a life saver!
  • ewennmacher
    Options
    ps- 2 years ago i went from 247 to 186 in 6 months eating 1800 calories a day and exercising. (gained a lot back when i went from weight loss mode to pregnant!) so it is possible to eat more calories and lose a significant amount of weight. everyone is different!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!