New Polar HRM

Options
Hello!
Ok so I know very little about hrm but I did a little research bought myself a polar FT60 and away I went. To say I have been disappointed in the calorie burn and my heart rate is an understatement. 4 mile run/metafit/insanity im burning around 350 cals (obviously I have been waaay over estimating this before the hrm). The main thing is my heart rate sits at around 160 am I training too hard for it to help me lose weight, the reason I ask is after my work out has finished it gives me a message to say I was in the improving my fitness level zone. If I go for a walk it says I was in the losing weight zone. I dont really understand it all, sorry if I come across as stupid, but I have always used the understanding of exercise more, eat less, lose weight – this doesn’t seem to be happening although dont get me wrong im losing inches but not alot of weight considering the amount of exercise I do im becoming a bit disheartened to be honest.:grumble: :grumble:
I have read up on some of this stuff but alot of it is so confusing, so am I right in thinking at the moment I’m burning muscle instead of fat but when I become fitter the fat will start to burn? If this is the case should I lower my intensity of exercise until I am fitter but then I think well how to I get fitter if I dont train hard
Very confusing! Would be grateful for any of your help :flowerforyou:

Replies

• kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Maybe i should have put im 40 years old and train 4/5 times a week for the last 3 months and i weigh 154lb im 5ft 2in
  • jlohcook
    jlohcook Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    At the age of 40, your max heart rate is 220-40 = 180. Therefore, if you exercise at 80% - 90% of your HR, this is consider anaerobic zone, you will require more oxygen, you will burn more carbo than fats. Its advisable not to do more than 10-20 mins, this is beyond 160 HR or there about for you. At this level, you do burn more calories. . If you exercise at 60-70%, less than 150 HR, this is where 85% fat burn zone. At this level you will need to workout longer to burn more calories.

So, the recommendation to burn more calories, is to have short burst of intensity, bringing your HR to 160 or so, for 1-2 mins. You will be able to burn 500cal in 45-60 mins. Again this also depends on your stamina.

To keep fit, you need to work at 60-70%, that's why brisk walking is recommended bring your HR to this level. Anything less than that is only warm ups. It will still burn calories though.

And, yes, in here, many of the exercises are overestimated in terms of the calories burnt. So, having a HRM is a good idea on whether you aren't truly burning so much.

Above are just general guidelines, there are more complex factor to consider, your rest rate. But take your time to learn this.
  • kathheen
    kathheen Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your advice its much appreciated