Constipation

Options
124»

Replies

• GlutesthatSalute
    GlutesthatSalute Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    There's alot of good info others are providing.. ie not getting enough Fiber in your daily meals, Iron Does cause constipation and just Fyi Doctors are not normally educated with nutrition unless you go to a Nutritionist, or a Dr of Endocrinology.. =)

My mom had paralysis of the colon leading her to have her colon removed, she too did not go to the bathroom regulary. It is what got me started on my health kick and as a personal trainer..

What I would recommend is making sure you are eating whole foods ( i... apples, spinach, broccoli things not usually in packages or with manufacturer barcodes) as much as possibble when increasing your calories!!!

ALSO you can supplement w Fiberlyze http://www.speciesnutrition.com/storemenu/fiberlyze.html
    It's a fiber supplement that contains both soluble and insoluble fiber.. U can literally watch it expand when if u let it sit in a glass of water..
    Take this w Greens from https://mea.myitworks.com/Shop/Product/475 38 herbs and nutrient-rich "superfoods" to provide vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients, and enzymes in their naturally-occurring, bio-active, bio-available form

Start small w just a few grams of each FIBERLYZE and GREENS.. bc your body will have to adjust to the increased fiber.. also making sure you drink a ton of water everyday or it will not work..

Good luck Doll
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 1200 calorie a day diet as well and I run 5-6 miles a day with strength training and stretching. It's a healthy diet for an athlete. Try eating oatmeal in the mornings with your coffee.

Yes, 1200 calories a day, when running that distance everyday sounds REALLY healthy... not.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I've found that I have to relax early in the mornings or I will not go all day. I've actually started waking up 30 minutes early just to relax. It cuts into my sleeping time but I would rather poop one good time than sleep for 30 more minutes.

This! I thought I was the only crazy person with this routine :)

Same for me.
    I also noticed if I have too little sleep, I tend not to go all day.
    I found the solution was always to have some dried prunes before bed, and a hot drink on waking.
    That is one of the most natural solutions.
    Bran and the like can actually make the situation worse due to the type of fibre.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Speaking from personal experience with a CHRONIC similar medical issue (resulted from hemorrhoid surgery in 1989): You can ask your Dr. until you're blue in the face but only you knows what will "work" for you.
    1) All the water you can stoke away every day
    2) Lots of dark green veggies (the leafy ones)
    3) 3 FRESH fruit servings/day & include prunes (NOT the juice) too
    4) Get the best generic form of "Colace" (DOCUSATE SODIUM): a good stool softener
    You will need to do a trial & error form of finding the right dose that works for you and WHEN you take them.
    5) One of my MFP friends told me that she takes MAGNESIUM tablets.
    CAUTION: Do NOT buy the magnesium tabs that have CALCIUM included because that might plug you up worse.
    I shop @ Costco and, at times, they have the NATURE MAID Magnesium 400 mg. CAPSULES with a
    $4.00 manufacturer's special on a great big bottle. I take ONE CAPSULE in the morning with my a.m.
    MVI tab & take another in the dinner hour time with the stool softeners.
    6) IMPORTANT: Until you know what regime is working great for you, do not be tempted to think it's just a little "toot" when
    you pass gas. You might become unpleasantly embarrassed with the real McCoy & need to change clothes.
    7) Don't try to "hold it" too long before you head to a bathroom and don't let anyone get caught in your dust as you make your way to that very important "mission".

Add me as a friend if you need any further help.
  • WallyGirl358
    Options
    Miralax is a lifesaver! Take one capful a day with any fluid. It will take 3 days to work but I PROMISE if you take regularly it will work. This was given to me over any prescription by my doctor. I have always had issues - I wish I would have found this sooner.

FYI - I have never had any side effects at all. To tummy aches or trampling people to get to the bathroom.
  • rm7161
    rm7161 Posts: 505
    Options
    Be careful with some of the suggestions here, as overuse of stool softeners, magnesium, and Miralax can cause more harm than good.

Miralax is completely safe. For someone with hemorrhoid issues like myself, its way preferable to rectal bleeding. In my case, absolutely nothing works to soften the stool aside medication. Tried every safe natural methods already, and this issue is very much a side effect of the GF diet.

Your suggestion of beer is completely off the menu for a celiac, btw.

(using it once a day to every other day hardly constitutes overuse)
  • FitzyMax
    FitzyMax Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Try flax/linseed added to cereal/porridge or yogurt
  • ApexLeader
    ApexLeader Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    water and fiber
  • melbatoast917
    melbatoast917 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    1. Please search before posting. This is asked weekly.

2. I agree that 1,200 calories is too little. If you have also slashed fat or carbs this can also affect your regularity.

3. Try Amazing Grass Super Food. That stuff tastes like a swamp but it will make you go even if all you ate was sand.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Sometimes if you have too much fiber without slowly introducing it into your diet, it will cause constipation.

I never had issues with constipation until I got pregnant - to the point where I was in tears. No matter who good I ate. No matter how much water I drank. No matter how much fiber I ate. The only thing that helps me is a stool softener. I take one tablet every other day and it's made a world of difference.
  • lessele
    lessele Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    FRUITS AND VEGGIES ARE ALWAYS GOOD BUT IT IS THE NON WATER SOLUBLE FIBER THAT FORMS THE STOOL. SO LETTUCE ISNT THE ANSWER. TRY USING FLAX OR PSYLLIUM. IF YOUR FOOD PLAN ALLOWS, ADD SOME WHOLE GRAIN OR YAMS AS WELL...I HAVE THE SAME ISSUES. WATER, VEGGIES, FRUITS WILL HELP BUT YOU NEED FIBER THAT IS NON WATER SOLUBLE...
  • jvillabona
    Options
    Also, try ground chia seeds or ground salba. They are a good source of protein and will definitely you have regular BM :-)
  • JessieTangerine
    JessieTangerine Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Could be that you are filling up on fiber but its soluble fiber, not the insoluble fiber that actually bulks up your stool. Both types are necessary but they have different jobs. Heres a good article from webMD explaining the difference and some foods each type of fiber (many have both!). Diversify your intake of grains and vegetables to see if that helps any at all.

Also, I want to echo the poster who warned about taking stool softeners and laxatives. They are great for short term problems, but they are not something you want to take often unless under doctor's orders. Your body can easily become dependent on these medications so that you will have to continue taking them in order to have bowel movements. Bad on the pocketbook and on the body. Eat right and let nature do its work; if it continues to be a problem, consult your doctor.
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    baby spinach salad mix - ON EVERYTHING lol
  • elephant_in_the_room
    Options
    Thread is 2 weeks old, sorry.
    Regular exercise seems to help this too!
    More precisely: walking helps, and running helps more. Ask people who have to use a wheelchair.
    Running is very effective; apparently, when the intestine gets shaken a little, it gets going. Google "running" and "urge to defecate" together, makes for some very amusing reading.
    I just thought it needed a mention after all the fibre advice, which I acknowledge is important too.
  • Petrapoo45
    Petrapoo45 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I am having this issue right now!! I havent had a good BM in like 4 days, and my body just aches....Makes it really hard to stay motivated and active when you're clogged!! Reading this thread gave me some good advice though, that I will do.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Try "Align" probiotic. It did wonders for me. Yogurt wasn't enough. This little pill changed my life.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Be sure and get plenty of fiber!!! veggies and fruit
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Totally having this problem lately. And I feel like its making me bloated in the belly. I feel the need to go, but I just cant!! And most days I hit my fiber goal?

I do however take vitamins for SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) and I think some can cause constipation?
    I take vitamin D, magnesium, and omega 3s.

Also Im on prozac, busporone, trozadone( sp?) and birth control..

Any suggestions for me?