Low Fat Protein Blueberry Banana Bread

Options
livityliv
livityliv Posts: 110 Member
I adapted a recipe for blueberry banana bread from Ambitious Kitchen last night. The recipe looked great as it was, but I wondered if I might be able to swap out some flour for protein powder to up the protein count and it turned out great! Sweet, filling, and perfect with a cup of coffee! Had to share...

The original is here:
http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/02/low-fat-oatmeal-blueberry-banana-bread/

My version is below:

I used 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup (about two scoops) vanilla protein powder (I used Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream)

1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

3 bananas, very ripe

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 large egg whites

1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt

3/4 cup blueberries

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside. In medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
In separate medium bowl, mash bananas with fork. Add brown sugar and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Beat in egg whites and yogurt.
Combine wet and dry ingredients together for a somewhat smooth consistency. Gently fold in blueberries.
Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

I made 8 slices out of mine, rather than the 10 suggested on Ambitious Kitchen.
Cals: 201 Fat: 1.2g Carbs: 39g Fiber: 2.8g Protein: 10g

Replies

• janice2001
    Options
    I adapted a recipe for blueberry banana bread from Ambitious Kitchen last night. The recipe looked great as it was, but I wondered if I might be able to swap out some flour for protein powder to up the protein count and it turned out great! Sweet, filling, and perfect with a cup of coffee! Had to share...

The original is here:
    http://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/2012/02/low-fat-oatmeal-blueberry-banana-bread/

My version is below:

I used 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 cup (about two scoops) vanilla protein powder (I used Optimum Nutrition Vanilla Ice Cream)

1 cup uncooked old-fashioned oats

1/2 tsp baking soda

1/4 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

3 bananas, very ripe

1/2 cup dark brown sugar

1 tsp vanilla extract

2 large egg whites

1 tablespoon plain greek yogurt

3/4 cup blueberries

Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a loaf pan and set aside. In medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon.
    In separate medium bowl, mash bananas with fork. Add brown sugar and vanilla, mixing until smooth. Beat in egg whites and yogurt.
    Combine wet and dry ingredients together for a somewhat smooth consistency. Gently fold in blueberries.
    Pour into greased loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

I made 8 slices out of mine, rather than the 10 suggested on Ambitious Kitchen.
    Cals: 201 Fat: 1.2g Carbs: 39g Fiber: 2.8g Protein: 10g