pork?? good or bad?

Options

Replies

• EjaneK11
    EjaneK11 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I would think nothing is wrong with pork. As long as you don't over stuff yourself when eating it.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I throw a pork loin in the slowcooker at the start of the week & slice it up to add to other stuff to up my protein, its very lean
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Pork is awesome. Lean cuts are great protein. And who doesn't love bacon?

Having boneless pork chops grilled tonight for dinner, actually!
  • Coltsman4ever
    Coltsman4ever Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin is a great source of lean protein.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    i love it, my wife doesn't = i never get to eat pork.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    Pulled Pork is really good!
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Pork loin in the crock pot, pork chops baked, all good sources of protein. Don't care for bacon or sausage though. It's a texture thing, just like I don't eat ground anything, turkey, beef, pork. yuck!!
  • Akraz
    Akraz Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    pork anything is healthy for you (unless you eat the sugar-filled sausages). whoever states otherwise is an idiot or a vegan.
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Like all meats, try to buy from a local farm, Farmer's market, or from a source that treats the animals humanely. Factory-farmed pork is insanely cruel to the animals and the crap they feed them and inject them with goes to you when you consume them.

Check www.eatwild.com to find local sellers of pastured or humanely raised pork. Or try www.grasslandbeef.com or Www.Grassfedbeef.org. The latter sells pigs raised on pasture and has free shipping.

Buying meats from a local farm supports local farmers and their families, and supports more humane treatment and slaughter of animals. If you buy in bulk, it's often cheaper than buying low-quality meats from the supermarket. Let your dollars support those who give a damn about producing quality food for you.

If you spend more on one cut of pork, let it be bacon or pork belly. For really fatty cuts, you do NOT want to eat from factory-farmed animals, as most of the bad mojo ends up in the fat. Spend more for quality bacon and belly.
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the porkphobia....makes no sense to me. I get it if it's an ethical thing for you, or if you don't like the taste, but otherwise....WHY NOT?
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    I think pigs are just gross creatures so I don't eat pork - but that's just my personal preference.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Boneless pork chops are on the menu for tonight for me!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Like all meats, try to buy from a local farm, Farmer's market, or from a source that treats the animals humanely. Factory-farmed pork is insanely cruel to the animals and the crap they feed them and inject them with goes to you when you consume them.

Check www.eatwild.com to find local sellers of pastured or humanely raised pork. Or try www.grasslandbeef.com or Www.Grassfedbeef.org. The latter sells pigs raised on pasture and has free shipping.

Buying meats from a local farm supports local farmers and their families, and supports more humane treatment and slaughter of animals. If you buy in bulk, it's often cheaper than buying low-quality meats from the supermarket. Let your dollars support those who give a damn about producing quality food for you.

If you spend more on one cut of pork, let it be bacon or pork belly. For really fatty cuts, you do NOT want to eat from factory-farmed animals, as most of the bad mojo ends up in the fat. Spend more for quality bacon and belly.

As always.............thumbs up on this post!!
  • andyisandy
    andyisandy Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    BBQ PULLED PORK FOR THE WIN!
  • jrmartinezb
    jrmartinezb Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, there are no (ok maybe a few) foods that could be labeled as absolutely "bad" or "good". You need to see it as part of your whole diet.If you had steak and eggs for breakfast, lamb chops for lunch, and chicken strips for snacks, perhaps pork chops won't be the best dinner. You also need to think of what your actual goals and concerns are. If you need to keep an eye on your dietary cholesterol or sat fat intake then baby back ribs won't be the best choice, and cured ham isn't such a good idea if you need to lower your sodium.

There are specific reasons for which it could be reasonable to restrict the amount of pork your diet (and the same could be said of almost any other food). Other than that I really see no reason why pork couldn't be part of a healthy, balanced and tasty diet.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    My husband and I enjoy pork, but my kids HATE it. They will happily eat beef, turkey, and chicken. They will even eat tofu and tvp, but absolutely no pork. Of course, they'll eat bacon, sausage, and hot dogs but I don't like giving that to them too often.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Pork rules... especially pork belly. Pork the other white meat!
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I eat a LOT of pork...and turkey...and chicken...and beef. Lifts are up, weight is down, just ran a 7 minute mile for the first time in my previously fatass life.

Verdict? Pork is just fine.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Love me some pork...Mmmmmm