5k Registration fees

Options
sherrirb
sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
I'm working my way through C25K again and I'm eager to sign up for my very first 5k. Currently in Week 5. However, I'm wondering about the registration fees for some of the more "popular" 5ks and I dont know if it is just me, but some seem very high.

Many I'm seeing range from $30 - $95 per person. I dont mind if you get lots of "swag" like a t-shirt with the 5K on it and/or water bottle but if this isn't included, is it really worth paying $75+ just to say you did it?

Very few of the ones I am looking at are "for a cause" which at least would be a reason to do them.

I"m also not interested in the after race parties. To me, that defeats my whole purpose for doing this in the first place. I dont drink alcohol, I dont want to over-indulge in food and I'm not into the "bar-scene" which it sounds like what many of these parties after the race provide.

I guess I'm just looking for input; is it worth it to pay $50+ registration fees for a 5k race if there isn't a shirt and it isn't "for a cause"? Any other helpful information would be appreciated since I dont know a whole lot about this and I'm really wanting to get started .

Replies

• PollyWolly98
    Options
    I don't participate in expensive races. My most expensive one has been $40 and all have included a shirt and a medal.
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    The only 5k I've been in was Color Me Rad, and they did it for $60 (I think) and they had a cause (Special Olympics).

If you enjoy running, run. But if you can do something you enjoy, AND help out at the same time, why not?
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    For a 5K I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it even if the proceeds are going to charity unless it was an interesting race like a zombie run or something like that.

I just signed up for a "Color Me Rad" race at the end of April and paid $40 to register.
  • lynus85
    lynus85 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    they can get expensive. I get that there is a cost assocaited with having a race but I think most of them are just a money maker. I did the colour run last year- i think it was like 45 or 50 a person. we did get some " swag" and some money went to a cause. I say if you really want to run it then just do it- the cost is unfortunate.. if it really bothers you then im suer you can find a bunch of 5ks that are done for a cause.
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    I've never paid more than $20 for a 5K. I would look for another one that is cheaper if I were you.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I participate in local 5ks and typically get free registration for volunteering with my club. The most I've paid for a 5k is around $35. The bigger races like Color Me Rad, Spartan, Zombie, etc don't appeal to me so I'm definitely not going to pay upwards of $75 to run 3.1 miles. Most 5ks don't have "swag" bags like the longer distance races do (at least not around here).
    I WILL pay $60-100 or so to run a half or full marathon though.
  • EnderNC
    EnderNC Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Don't pay more than 20 unless you're doing a mud run. Google runners world and look up races by state (I think it's called Racefinder) There should be plenty of affordable races near you. Of course, mud runs are loads more fun and many are worth the extra few bucks IMHO ;)
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I spend a lot on mine, but they're all mud runs so it's worth it. They gotta set up a whole obstacle course and you get shirts and a medal and all that.

But if it's just left foot, right foot over some pavement? $40 max. And that better be for some charity while we're at it.
  • BrawlerBella
    BrawlerBella Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    The most I've paid is $25 and include a tee. I've been browsing the local races and have noticed a slight increase to regular 5ks. A sign of the times I guess everything goes up.
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Wow, 5k's around here are like $10-30 and I wouldn't pay more than that! I did pay more for the Warrior Dash but that was different than just a regular 5k. I would only pay more than $30 for a race if it was a 10k, half, or full marathon and trust me those are expensive! But maybe try to find a race where the proceeds go to a non-profit organization. Most are around $20-40 and the "After party" isn't really a party but you do get some food like banana's, and sandwiches...but remember to have fun. This will be your first 5k and you want to enjoy it!! :) and Good luck!!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I have never paid over 40 bucks for a 5K. The half marathons I run usually have registration fees from $60-$100, but you get a medal and sometimes 2 different shirts.
  • buudharich
    Options
    Team Ortho gives awesome aluminum finisher medals and you can sign up for all the races (six) and you only pay for five of them. There is a stained glass element to them and you receive a plexiglass case so sunlight shines through them. The races a) help you get in shape b) are a great motivator c) the swag is pretty darn cool.
  • Erica262
    Erica262 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It depends on the race. Find some local ones and then google reviews for them. I live near Virginia Beach, which has tons of races... Possibly every weekend. The stuff you get plus the race atmosphere makes it totally worth it. It's like running with 100s of your best friends. The post race party is about celebrating your accomplishment whether you drink or not. A lot of them have bands and/or DJs, plus you'll want to hang out and chat with the other runners or friends that came to cheer you on. The least I've spent on a 5k was $25 for Color Me Rad and it was amazing. The Rock'n'Roll races are some of the most expensive, but they're generally worth it to see the bands and hang out at the after party. The most I've spent was $100+ for the Shamrock Marathon and it was completely worth it with all the race support, swag, and post-race party (with goodie bag).
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Since we are talking registration fees, are they tax deductable?
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    The most I've paid for a 5K is $32 and 2/3rds of that went to the charity it is benefitting and the swag bag was really nice. I can't see ever paying more than that for a 5K. Marathons & Half Marathons will be in the $50-$75 range, and that's fine. Those arre huge logistical undertakings.

Entry Fee's is part of the reason I'm pretty selective with the races I run now. I have to find something unqiue about the race, or really want to support what the race benefits.
  • darjeff
    darjeff Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Also look for early bird registration as well! :o)
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    I've spent a lot on 5k races (Warrior Dash and Hell Run), but the money has gone to charity. WD = St Jude Children's Hospital & HR = Cancer Research Livestrong I think.
  • irjeffb
    irjeffb Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Most of the ones I've done have been $20-30.

I actually did TWO races on Thanksgiving, a 5-mile and a 5k, and only paid $20 total, and I got 4 shirts and 2 medals. :)

I did sign up for a Spartan Sprint in July that was over $100, but that's a whole different kind of event.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    No Shirt + No Cause = No Jeannie in that Race!!
    I don't mind (too much) paying a Reasonable Fee/Donation if it is going to a Good Cause. Generally the earlier you register, the lower the Fee. I just registered for Color Me Rad in May and paid $25.
  • LessMe2B
    LessMe2B Posts: 316
    Options
    Since we are talking registration fees, are they tax deductable?

If it is run for a charity, then YES.