Not feeling full on 1800-2000 cal

Options
A week ago today I dined on pizza, eating like 4 big slices, deciding this would be my last indulgence. I had decided to lose weight and join MFP. However, I soon discovered....

Eating a low calorie diet after years of a lifestyle of shoveling my face like mentioned above is HARD. I feel hungry all the time! I used to eat fast food 3+ times a week. I haven't eaten any other than that pizza since 2 weeks ago. It's very hard going from a bad lifestyle to a good one. The transition is killing me....

Anyone else go through this? I see people post all the time about eating a 1200 calorie diet and having a hard time consuming this ridiculously low amount - how is THAT? If you have trouble eating 1200 calories how did you get fat in the first place...unless you are on chemo or something.

Any tips on how to stop feeling like this? Is this a physical or psychological thing? I really think its the latter...so I guess finding a solution to this will be impossible without making it worse...will this ever stop?

Replies

• andy13
    andy13 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    It feels like I've been on this diet for a life time and I still get proper hungry and it gets worse the more weight you loose because your calories go down. My advice to you is get a heart rate moniter and move move move, a couple of hours walking a day and you can still have that junkfood
  • badmojo108
    Options
    It all depends on the food you are eating. Look for foods that aren't as calorie dense as the food you currently eat.

Lean cuts of meat and lots of veggies will go a long way towards filling you up and not taking up all you calories. On days I focus on that, like last night, I was so full I couldn't hit my daily calorie goal. On other days (like Sunday) I crave a Big Mac and I could easily eat my whole days worth of calories in one sitting if I am not careful.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    The first day I started my diet, I was starving all day it seemed. The second day, I was hungry off and on. By the third day,I was hungry only when it was time to eat. By day 4, my appetite had shrunk. I wasnt hungry and had to force myself to eat meals when it was time. I havent had any real cravings. The important thing is to keep healthy snacks around so when you start to get hungry, you can satisfy your hunger without the damage of a high calorie or high sugar food. Thats why some people eat 5 small meals a day every 3 hours so they stay full. Everybody is different so try a couple different thing,and drink lots of water.
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water? Eating high fibre, high protein foods? Eating veggies/fruits to give you extra nutrients? If yes to it all then I bet it's either mental or just a transition.
  • morf13
    morf13 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat at night now,but last night for some reason,I was starving and didnt want to go to bed hungry. I ate a 90 calorie english muffin,with some low calorie/fat butter. Tasty,and hit the spot with minimal calories.
  • RuthieCass
    RuthieCass Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    If you feel hungry, you can try:
    1) Eating more protein- helps you to fill up faster.
    2) Eating more "voluminous," calorie-sparse foods like watery veggies (lettuce, raw broccoli, etc.)
    3) Eating more fiber.
    4) Eat sufficient fat. Many diet foods are low fat, but eating some fat with your diet allows you to feel satiated for longer. For example, I started taking a fish oil supp with a small breakfast, and I noticed that my hunger stays away for a while, even when I have a late lunch.

I wouldn't worry about those people saying that they can't lose on 1200 calories a day. Most of these people are in denial/unaware about how much they eat & are severely underestimating their calorie intake or, in rarer cases, have a medical condition. Often times, such people aren't weighing their foods, avoid logging on the weekends or cheat days, etc.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    There is an adjustment period, for sure. For me it took about a 3-4 weeks before I stopped feeling like I needed to eat MORE MORE MORE. You do get used to eating less but it is a process. Be patient.

As for not feeling full, this may also have to do with what you are eating. Fiber will make you feel full (fruit, veg, oatmeal), as will the quantity you are eating. For example, I took a peek at your diary. 400 calories of bacon adds up quickly and won’t stay with you. 400 calories of cooked boneless skinless chicken is a HUGE amount of chicken…you get more bang for your buck. Same with red meat, it is much higher in calories so you have to eat less beef than you would have to fish or chicken. Vegetables…you can eat a TON for very few calories. Add more into your diet and you will be plenty full.

It does take a while to adjust but you are off to a great start. Also, you can still have pizza, you just have to budget calories for it. Instead of 4 monster slices, have 2 average sized pieces with a nice big side salad.
  • monicabuc1
    monicabuc1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Water, water & water.

Good fats, lean protein and lots of veggies & fruit. You can eat whatever you want as long as you work it into your calorie intake.
    Good luck, your body will adjust, you will be surprised!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I never feel full. But i don't confuse not feeling "full" for being hungry. I typically eat 2200-2400
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I took a peek at your diary, here is my recommendation.

Your chicken and steak portion sizes are too large. Instead of eating 14-16 oz of chicken or steak during a meal, eat 3-4 ounces and mix in some vegetables.
  • applekrisp1988
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. About my diary: the first day was a trainwreck, please don't refer to that one :P look at yesterdays or todays for a better look at what I'm trying to get away with....I'm also eating that 35 calorie per slice bread, it tastes kinda blah and isn't really filling but oh well.

I definitely need to drink more water....
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    The psychological part is getting over the feeling that you have to be full. You don't need to feel full all the time and it will get better as time goes on and your body adjusts. If you want that stuffed full feeling invest in some broccoli. You will literally explode before you go over your calories eating it.
  • krowanvil
    krowanvil Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Since starting this reduced calorie lifestyle, I have observed several useful tricks:
    1. Increasing protein, fiber, and/or water will make your meals more filling.
    2. For me, walking or other physical activity reduces my desire to eat.
    3. After eating lower volumes of food (but more frequently) for a month or two, the physical volume of my stomach seems to have decreased. I cannot eat as much as I once did in a sitting.
    4. Most veggies are a very low calorie to volume, so you can fill up on them with little impact to your calorie totals
    5. The longer you go without high sugar or high fat foods, the less you will crave them. After a while my tastes changed and I found naturally sweet foods to truly be sweet (sweet onions, bell peppers, etc.), before they were kind of bland to me.
    6. Do not waste your calories on drinks, to quote an old beer commercial “Taste great, less filling”.
    7. Incorporate changes slowly to make them more manageable and more likely to become a lasting change in your routine.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone. About my diary: the first day was a trainwreck, please don't refer to that one :P look at yesterdays or todays for a better look at what I'm trying to get away with....I'm also eating that 35 calorie per slice bread, it tastes kinda blah and isn't really filling but oh well.

I definitely need to drink more water....

one slice of wholemeal/seeded/brown bread for 100 cal will be much mroe filling than 3 tiny 35cal wafer thin slices of white bread.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts, especially the increase water, fuits, veggies, protein and fiber.
    Another thought: your stomach stretched to accomodate the larger amount of food you had been eating, so you will feel more empty or hungry until it gets used to your decreased intake.
    Also, eating a certain amount becomes a habit just like anything else and I'm sure you've heard it said that it takes 21 days to learn a new habit.
    So, don't give up :smile:
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Also, what is your definition of "full"? Are you looking for that stuffed feeling? There is a difference between being truly hungry, adequately full, and stuffed. I had to let go of that stuffed feeling, as that was a clear indicator to me that I ate way too much. I had to re-learn what full truly means.
  • pamwhite712
    pamwhite712 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    The bread part- I eat the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. It comes in whole grain (my fave) or honey wheat. It's really quite good. And it's soft too.

I agree that after a few weeks your stomach will think it's full on "less" food. I think of it as re-training your stomach. LOL
  • BamBam125
    BamBam125 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    The bread part- I eat the Sara Lee 45 calorie bread. It comes in whole grain (my fave) or honey wheat. It's really quite good. And it's soft too.
    I like this one too. It's a bit thin for sandwiches but popped in the toaster it's really good.
  • Trilby16
    Trilby16 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I understand your confusion. I am one of those who -- when tracking my cal. intake and eating only healthy stuff -- have trouble eating my full 1200 calories. HOWEVER, if I fell off the wagon and began to gorge on cookies, cake, or candy, which I have done many times in my life, I could easily top 3000- 3500. For me, the trick is to stick to a plan, be accountable, and plan what I'm going to eat (for the most part). Kept in check that way, I keep my intake low and feel satisfied.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, if I were to start a binge then no amount of food could satisfy me. But NOT binging, I am satisfied with modest amounts.
  • ohnstadk
    ohnstadk Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was looking at your diary for today (1/29) and I have a few suggestions. Instead of white bread switch to whole grain bread, also try not to consume to much of it, although grains are good more food for less calories with longer lasting satisfaction can be found in nuts, rice, potatoes, veggies, meat and quinoa. Canned soup also tends to have a lot of calories but isn't very filling because of added sugars and fillings. Sugar becomes quick energy and soon makes the blood sugar crash leaving you hungry sooner. Also try drinking water with every meal, it will give you a fuller effect with less. Eating less calories means you will never feel "stuffed" and it might take a while to not feel any hunger. Try to eat at the same time everyday, and about 5 to 6 times a day, that way your body wont feel like it is starving.