~ WARNING: Extreme Picky Eater ~

Options
Hey yall...I am a VERY picky eater. I wanna start trying some new things. My family will eat whatever I cook or at least try it. I really am trying to open up more. But I don't eat a lot of veggies...the only veggies I like are...corn, green beans, butter beans, mash tators. I know I know I really need more veggies but I never been a veggie eater...

And for meat wise I pretty much eat only chicken breast, and ground beef...sometimes I may be able to down a porkchop!

PLEASE help with any tips/advice or recipes that you have that can maybe get me to open up to more foods!!!

Thanks a ton
:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Do you watch the food network?

My eating habits have improved immensly since I started watching it and if I like a recipe they have shown I can save it at their site and modify it to my liking.

Funny, I have actually lost weight since I started watchng cooking shows.
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Options
    I watch it sometimes but aint never cook any of the recipes!
  • Desiderata
    Options
    Its never too late to be a veggie eater! there are so many tasty recipes out there that incorporate a variety of veggies, like potatoes, tomatoes, carrots, broccoli, bell peppers, peas, green beans, oh i could go on forever.

Some recipe ideas? well when making pizza, you could use generously top the slices with veggies and gooey low fat cheese. or dice peppers and mushrooms into an omelette.

If you like potatoes, you might like this Roasted Sweet Potato recipe...
    -vegetable oil spray
    -3 lbs sweet potatoes, sliced into 3/4 inch rounds
    -2 tbls canola oil
    -salt and pepper

1) line a baking sheet with foil and lightly coat with veggie spray. toss the potato rounds in canola oil with 1/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. arrange the potatoes on baking sheet like you would cookies, and cover tightly with foil. Place the baking sheet in the middle of the cold oven. NOW turn the oven on, set for 425 and cook for 30 minutes.

2) Uncover and continue to cook until the bottom edges of the potatoes are golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes.

3) Flip the slices and continue to cook until golden brown on both sides, 18 to 22 minutes. season with salt and pepper and serve!

Another great idea would be to make meatless chili, there are great recipes online.
    Also, munching on baby carrots are a really good way to keep from getting too hungry, and they are soooo yummy!

You had said that meat wise, you dont have a lot of variety as well. salmon is a really simple fish to make, especially tasty when broiled or poached, and is usually a quick cook, because of how tender the meat is.

But other than that, i usually do not eat red meat and try to stay away from chicken. I find it best to get my protein either from nuts, soy, or seafood.

Hope this helps!
  • NewMe80xoxo
    NewMe80xoxo Posts: 172
    Options
    Thank you
  • jcm214
    jcm214 Posts: 157
    Options
    I'm the same way you are...
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    OOO! Go to www.papayahead.com!!
    if you build a profile you can tell it all the things you don't like to eat and then you can search the recipes by main ingredient!!
    It's the most amazing (wait no) SECOND most amazing website EVER. (The first is www.glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com but that's just cuz I can't eat wheat barley or rye.)

:)
  • Goya
    Goya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My 6 year old is extremely picky and I load up a variety of chopped or ground up fresh veggies that he normally wouldn't eat in his favorite foods. How about trying that first as a transition? Hope this helps :)
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Thx for the site!
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Totally!! I LOVE IT!! :drinker:
  • medtrans79
    Options
    I am very picky too. I do not want to eat veggies, they are all gross to me:tongue: but I have found that I like the green zuccini. I will cut long pieces and then cut those in half, spray Pam in a pan and cook until they get a "fried" look on at least one side. I'll also add in some chopped onions.