30 Day Shred, extra cardio?

Options
2»

Replies

• crystalelizabeth87
    Options
    thanks everyone :) I cant wait to start seeing results from this. Im a 25 year old working mom of an 8 month old and a 3 year old. I find it really hard to find time to workout, so when i came across this short workout video, i now actually do it in my office during my lunch break and i hope it works :)
  • annafive
    Options
    Hi, Vturnor, How many days a week do you do cardio? thanks for the input!
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to note I did gain the first couple of days and then,boom,down three pounds.From what I''ve read,this must be common thing with 30 DS,Remember ladies,We're building muscle!
  • AmberSpamber
    AmberSpamber Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It is totally normal to gain weight when you start working out for many reasons. I found this on Chalene Johnson's blog and it made me feel much better:

Probably the most common question I get when I release a new exercise program is, “Help! I’m gaining weight! Am I doing something wrong?” This is a common phenomenon with any new exercise program, Turbo Kick, Turbo Jam, Hip Hop Hustle, you name it! It’s especially common (and temporary) with intense strength training programs like ChaLEAN Extreme or Tony Horton’s P90X.
    The motivation to start a new exercise program is almost always to lose weight. However, what most personal trainers know and most at-home exercisers do not, is that a new exercise program often can cause an immediate (and temporary) increase on the scale. (Notice I didn’t say weight gain! I’ll explain.) This common increase in the scale is also the reason why perhaps millions of people start and then quickly quit their resolution to get fit.

The temporary weight gain explained:
    When someone starts a new exercise program, they often experience muscle soreness. The more intense and “unfamiliar” the program, the more intense the muscle soreness. This soreness is most prevalent 24 to 48 hours after each workout. In the first few weeks of a new program, soreness is the body trying to
    “protect and defend” the effected or targeted tissue. Exercise physiologists refer to this as delayed-onset muscle soreness, or DOMS.
    This type of soreness is thought to be caused by tissue breakdown or microscopic tears in muscle tissue. When this happens the body protects the tissue. The muscle becomes inflamed and slightly swollen with fluid retention. This temporary retention of fluid can result in a 3- to 4-pound weight gain within a few weeks of a new program. Keep in mind that muscle soreness is not necessarily a reflection of how hard you worked. In fact, some people feel no signs of muscle soreness, yet will experience the muscle protection mechanisms of water retention and slight swelling.
    Most people are motivated enough to put up with this temporary muscle soreness. Yet, many, especially those who really need immediate weight loss to keep them motivated in those first couple of weeks become discouraged and quit!
    When I worked with a group of 70 test participants during the development stages of ChaLEAN Extreme, this happened. Who was the most upset and discouraged? You guessed it… the women! I’m happy to report absolutely for every single woman (and man) in our group, the weight increase was temporary and never lasted more than 2 weeks before they started to see a major drop in the scale.

So, don't be worried. If you are seeing a difference and feeling a difference then it IS working. I LOVE 30 day shred. I am on day 3 and it is kicking my trash for the 10th time. Keep up the good work!
  • annafive
    Options
    very interesting, Amber! Thanks so much for including that explanation, it really does make sense! :)
  • mooglysmom
    mooglysmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm on day 17 of the shred, and I also do.about 20-45 min of cardio before or after it (I find after works better, because it's so intense for me). I usually do Just Sweat on the Wii. In the first week I lost a little, but then gained the second week,.but this is my third week and now I'm down 4lbs and 3 inches total. I read that it's supposed to be dome with cardio.
  • hp5400
    hp5400 Posts: 5
    Options
    definitely! thanks for this thread Anna- very helpful to hear each other's experiences and that so many have made progress:smile:
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Annafive,I do cardio five days a week.I've been doing walking/running intervals for the last three years and thats how I've lost most of my weight but have been forced inside this winter due to extreme cold here in the Northeast.I started using this to stay motivated over the winter and love how I'm feeling.
  • annafive
    Options
    Hi, vturnor, sorry about the very delayed reaction! haha. That's great that you do cardio five days a week. I did start doing that Breathless Body DVD, and it is really great. I only do half because of the time constraint I have in the morning, but I realized that it really is what I am missing... the 30 day shred doesn't have that "sweat" factor!
  • kmd613
    kmd613 Posts: 42
    Options
    I am on Level 3, Day 2. I LOVE THE SHRED. I have gotten stronger, lost inches and a few pounds (before/after pics to come in 8 days).

I also do 30 min of cardio on the elliptical 6-7 days a week. I have taken a couple of rest days, and was waylaid for about 3 days because I was sick (after which I went back to level 1 for a few days to ease myself back in) so it's going to be more like the 40 Day Shred, but if you stick with it and as Jillian says, don't phone it in, you will see results - with or without the extra cardio.
  • annafive
    Options
    Hi, kmd613, That's great! I am on Level 3, Day 1, so I'm very close to where you are. I haven't been doing much cardio, so I'm kind of late in the month for starting. I have noticed that I am stronger, and perhaps I lost some inches, but I don't see a great difference. I do feel better and a "little more solid" (less jiggly! haha) I have not lost any pounds, but I will not get discouraged as I am gaining muscle. I have also been on a very lean and limited diet. I hope to see more results soon with the cardio... I think this makes all the difference.
  • kmd613
    kmd613 Posts: 42
    Options
    Annafive - did you take pictures or measurements before you started? I forgot to at the very beginning, but took pics on Day 5, so they should still be more/less accurate. I don't know exactly how much weight I've lost since then either, since I only weigh myself sporadically. I will probably wait and weigh myself in a week or so, when I am closer to being done with Level 3. And then take pics!

I definitely feel stronger and more solid than I ever have. I think I am going to do Ripped in 30 next! It's like 30DS, but there are 4 levels and each level is only one week.

GOOD LUCK!