Questions about 5km times

Ok, so what are some of your times? I am a TOTAL newbie at this running thing...and I find myself wondering if I can do a 5k in the near future. I know what my time is on a 3k, and will work myself up to a 5k but would like to know how others do and what advice can be given...so, what I am looking for:

Your approximate 5k time?
Advice in preparing for a 5k?

Thank you,
Steve

Replies

• RippedRunner
    RippedRunner Posts: 13 Member
    Age 33, 120 lbs (it all matters sometimes!) and my PR time is 24:35 on a hilly course. Tip: do HIIT runs once a week!
  • dsmrunner
    dsmrunner Posts: 15 Member
    First of all good for you for starting running!

Running times are highly variable, depending on your fitness level, experience, and your ability to run well and efficiently, among other things.

If you're just starting, I wouldn't worry about your time. It is what it is. Don't compare yourself to others, at least not yet.

Google "Couch to 5K" and find a training plan - many of them use walk/run intervals, which is a safe way to start. Don't do too much too quickly, your body/joints/feet/tendons/everything needs to get used to doing the work.

Good luck!
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Well a brisk walk puts 3 miles at 45 minutes, 15 minute miles. I think a respectable pace is 10 min. miles or a 30 minute race. That's my goal to get sub 30 minute times and then move up to 10k. The winner will probably be under 15 minutes or 5 minute miles. I started running last fall and my best 5k I was at 36 minutes. I think I'm faster now but I've mostly been training with my 8 year old for her first 5k so I haven't run 5k at my pace in a while.
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    I second the couch to 5k idea. If your already fit or have running experience you can accelerate the schedule but I think a couch to 5k plan can get nearly anyone running 5k.

1. Step One start running
    2. There is no step two

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run."
    --John Bingham
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    A 10 minute mile is a very good pace - I'm still working on getting to that, and I've done several 10k runs.

I'd love to manage 10k in under an hour, my last one was about 1 hr 10 mins. Ive signed up for my first half marathon this year, so I know that's going to be around 2 1/2 hours.

I run pretty slowly and I have wee short legs.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Female, 55, 115 lbs, best time 29:58 for 5K.
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,218 Member

Running times are highly variable, depending on your fitness level, experience, and your ability to run well and efficiently, among other things.

If you're just starting, I wouldn't worry about your time. It is what it is. Don't compare yourself to others, at least not yet.

Google "Couch to 5K" and find a training plan - many of them use walk/run intervals, which is a safe way to start. Don't do too much too quickly, your body/joints/feet/tendons/everything needs to get used to doing the work.

Good luck!

good advice. Dont compare yourself to others. Everyone has a different style/ different pace. Focus on making the distance first. Time comes much later. Good luck
  • rabt6f
    rabt6f Posts: 37 Member
    My first 5k was 35 minutes with a few hills included on the way back. I wasn't near the front of the runners, but I was not the last by a long shot either. I did walk some, but I finished! I wouldn't compare yourself to others, just be proud your running and taking care of yourself. I would love to do 10 minute miles, but if I don't, that's fine also. I'm moving and no matter how slow I go, I'm lapping everyone on the couch.
  • kdkyzer
    kdkyzer Posts: 137 Member

Good luck!

This ^^^^ is absolutely correct! As is the person who posted that no matter how slow you are going, you're still lapping the person sitting on the couch.
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    It's all relative. I mean there are times that I would certainly consider good times (like under 20) and bad times but I think all that matters is you are constantly improving!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    My best 5k time was 26:20. I am 43, at my ideal weight and just started running in December.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Male, 53, 173 lbs. My best time was last year at 20:10. If it is your first one and you have not been running long don't worry so much about the time. You will continue to improve for years as long as you train consistently and properly. If you take a lot of breaks from running then it will be hard to improve as you will simply be continually rebuilding lost fitness.

The best way to get faster is to build aerobic capacity which is done by running lots of miles at an easy pace for a long time. Speed training will add a little to that.
  • jfang86
    jfang86 Posts: 19
    You're only competing against yourself so other people's times aren't really all that meaningful unless you're planning on racing semi-professionally and/or being a serious amateur runner. My best 5K time was I think about 27 minutes or 28 minutes, but I don't sweat how that ranks up against anyone else because it's hella better than when I started (when it would taken me more than 45 minutes).