Canned Pumkin

Options

Replies

• JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I make pumpkin spice smoothies.

1 c. milk(or almond milk...I get unsweetened)
    1-2 tsp(to taste) pumpkin spice or cinnamon
    1/2 c. of canned pumpkin
    1/4 c. greek plain yogurt
    3-4 ice cubes
    sweetener (splenda, truvia, honey, etc.)
    *I also use 1.5 tsp. ground flaxseed

Yummy!
  • Dawmer299
    Options
    1 cake mix (any flavor but chocolate or spice are my favorites for this)
    1 can (regular size) pumpkin

mix together put in prepared muffin tin or papers and bake.

Sooo yummy and low fat because you are leaving out the oil and eggs. They are very dense (the chocolate ones are more the consistency of brownies than muffins) My skinny-mini husband likes to put cream cheese frosting on the spice cake ones and a friend now makes them for her kids that suffer from allergies as a treat. The kids love them.

Just tried these last week! Worked awesome!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heidichild
    Options
    bump
  • davenportk83
    davenportk83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I have a can of pumpkin, and was just considering making pumpkin bread this morning:) It's really delicious, and tastes the very best if left wrapped overnight.
    http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/pumpkin_bread/
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Over night oats with cinnamon, almond milk and a pit of PB.

Mix with a buttery cake mix and some chocolate chips. No icing needed for this treat!

In a smoothie.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    1 large can pumpkin mixed with tsp cinnamon and 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice, stir in 1 dry pkg non fat butterscotch pudding. combine that mixture with one container cool whip. This is a great fruit dip for bananas, apples and grapes or just eat it on its own. I have read others use it to dip graham crackers and use it for a filling in a graham crust. I found this recipe on mfp and have made it a few times.
  • sylviawmills
    sylviawmills Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We had pumpkin smoothies last night that were awesome!
    For TWO large smoothies:
    2/3 small can pumpkin
    2tsp pumpkin pie spice
    1 egg
    2 cups skim milk
    2 scoops whey powder
    2 -3 cups ice from ice maker
    blend ice, milk and pumpkin til smooth, add spice, egg then whey powder. Add more milk if needed to maintain movement in the blender. stop blender as soon as whey powder is blended.
    You can add a little sweetener if you like but I havent found it necessary. About 230 calories for large (26oz) straw cup.
  • meganbook
    Options
    This is just a quick note. This is canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie mix! It's not uncommon these two are mixed up, especially those who are new to keeping track of their calories. There is a huge difference. A 1/3 cup of Libby's Pumpkin Pie Mix is 90 cals 1 g of fat, and 17g of sugar. A 1/2 cup serving of Libby's pure canned pumpkin is 40 cals, and 1 g of fat, and only 4 grams of sugar.
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use pumpkin instead of oil and eggs with brownie mix! Just one 15oz can with a box mix, nothing else! Bake at the usual time. You can't really tell there's pumpkin in it, and the brownies are so moist!

I put a batch of these in the office kitchen one time, and no one could tell the difference between these and the normal ones. :)
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Brownies

Pumpkin + Brownie Mix - Bake according to box directions. Yummy!
  • rachelelizabeth88
    rachelelizabeth88 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Smoothie!!

This is what I do:

1 cup unsweetened almond milk
    Spirulina
    1 tbsp Flax meal
    1/2 cup pumpkin
    1 scoop vega protein (vanilla chai)
    Cinnamon

:D
  • RachelSRoach1
    RachelSRoach1 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Skinnytaste.com

Gina has the best pumpkin recipes I have ever seen... and all are healthy (or healthier than the alternative). I love that website!
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I make pumpkin pie smoothies out of it with yogurt, look it up they are awesome!
  • rciszek
    rciszek Posts: 134
    Options
    I put it in my vanilla protein shake and it makes a yummy shake. I take it and mix in some pumpkin pie spice and put it in my ice cube trays and freeze them. Then pop them out and use them as the ice in my shakes....yummm
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Nothing to do with anything...I just found out that....

Dogs and cats LOVE canned pumpkin and canned sweet potatoes.

SO WEIRD.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    1 cake mix (any flavor but chocolate or spice are my favorites for this)
    1 can (regular size) pumpkin

mix together put in prepared muffin tin or papers and bake.

Sooo yummy and low fat because you are leaving out the oil and eggs. They are very dense (the chocolate ones are more the consistency of brownies than muffins) My skinny-mini husband likes to put cream cheese frosting on the spice cake ones and a friend now makes them for her kids that suffer from allergies as a treat. The kids love them.

What is the "regular size"?
    Single pie can?
    or
    Two pie can?

There is a big difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling! Make sure you buy the puree, I think the regular size is around 15 ounces.
  • mswaters27
    mswaters27 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend just gave me a recipe for Crock-pot Overnight Pumpkin Oatmeal. I can't wait to try it!

1 cup steel cut oats
    2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teasoon allspice
    Pinch of cloves

Combine all ingredients. Cook on low 6-8 hours.

Optional add in's: chooped apple, chopped banana, raisins, dried cranberries

Can you make this WITHOUT using a crock pot???? Sounds yummy!
  • rf1170
    rf1170 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I usually buy a bunch of pumpkins at the end of my farmer's market (in November), so I use frozen, roasted pumpkin rather than canned - since they're the same consistency, though, they can be substituted for one another. As with pretty much any other vegetable, the flavor of fresh (even freshly frozen) pumpkin is spectacular compared to canned. If you see some pumpkins on sale next fall, stock up, they're cheap! I cut them in half, then roast them at 350º cut-side down in a pan with an inch of water. When they're soft, take them out and let them cool, then scoop out the flesh. I puree mine with an immersion blender at this point, because it makes for a smoother texture when you thaw it. Then I scoop the pumpkin into freezer bags, mark the date, and pop 'em in the chest freezer - it's great to have on hand!

Anyway, I love pumpkin soup, and since I just made this one a few days ago, I thought I'd share the recipe:
    1 tablespoon oil (I like coconut or olive)
    1 small onion, or maybe some shallots
    2 cloves garlic
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 teaspoon curry powder
    1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (or cayenne to taste)
    1/2 teaspoon turmeric
    2 or 3 (or more?) cups of pumpkin - if you have more, just add more of the spices and stock to balance it out
    1/2 cup peanut butter
    1 quart vegetable stock

Saute the onion in the oil until translucent, then add the spices and saute until fragrant (30 seconds or so). Add the pumpkin, peanut butter, and stock, simmer until warmed through, then blend (off the heat!) with an immersion blender. Continue simmering until the rest of your dinner is ready, then salt to taste.