fancy running shoes

Options
Okay, okay...I'll drop a benjamin if I HAVE to. But I'm tempted to go to Ross or something and pick up whatever New Balances they have in my size. Should I just spend the money?

I'm asking because I have had pain in my knee while running since Sunday and it's definitely my old running shoes that I got in high school (six years ago)

Replies

• questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Well, the total of my knee surgery and physical therapy was about $30,000 so....

I would go to a running specific store and ask them to look at your foot and your gait and also tell them about your financial constraints. They might be able to recommend one that costs $70 instead of $120, but good shoes are going to cost some money. But they are so important! I guess some people can get by with cheap shoes, but if you have knee pain, I wouldn't risk it. (But I'm a little biased given my previous experience.)

You can also talk to someone in a shoe store and see if you can find the same pair online for a deal.
  • mommared53
    mommared53 Posts: 9,543 Member
    Options
    It's definitely time for a new pair of running shoes. :smile: I'm waiting for my rebate that I'm getting back from my cell phone upgrade and I'm heading for Big 5 for a new pair of running shoes.
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Ditto. It is totally worth the money to invest in the right shoes for your feet, posture and gait. I don't know where you lice, but if you do a little research you should be able to find a running store that is staffed people who can guide you toward the appropriate shoe for you.

Furthermore, you absolutely should not be running in shoes that are six years old, no matter how good they are!!! Running shoes need to be replaced on an average of every 6 months (can be less or more depending on how many miles you run). And shoes do break down even when they sit on warehouse/store shelves, so buying them at an outlet store where the shoes may have been sitting with their foam and adhesive components slowly degrading over time means you will need to replace them much sooner.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    SPEND THE MONEY!!!!
    Your feet are important!!! I was a runner for years (just started again) and from experience a cheap pair of shoes that aren't properly sized can and will cause, a loss of toenails (yeah they can actually die and fall off- pleasant), colapsed arches, stress fractures, shin splints, plantars faciitis (which feels like you're walking on leggos), knee, hip and back problems. BAD BAD BAD!! Now that I've scared the crap out of you- as Kaitlin said go to a running store and get your feet sized. Quick Run!! oh... but not in those shoes!! :bigsmile:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    No no no, don't drop a Benjamin!!! You just need to figure out what kind of runner you are. Either normal pronator, over pronator, or under pronator. Search some running websites to figure it out, then go to the Nike Factory Store (or look at their site online) and find a shoe in your size that's for whatever kind of pronation you do and buy 'em! I figured out I'm a normal pronator so I needed a shoe with more padding and support so I went into the store, found a shoe that's made for that and only paid $60!!! They were originally $100 and I budgeted $90 so I even got some sweet Nike socks to keep my sweaty feet from being stanky! :)
  • hopela
    hopela Posts: 17
    Options
    Tough love...its what I need. sigh. thanks guys! I'll go to the damn running store this weekend.