Protein

I have been really enjoying these smoothies I am making in the morning, because I started adding a tablespoon of Almond Butter, and already used Greek yogurt. So, I also haven't been working out that much lately ( We moved far away from my gym, homework, and moving itself.) I just wonder if the sugar from the orange juice I am using, plus all the protein, is bad. But it is 400 calories, and I stay full for a while. I don't know. I don't know how to eat.

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    From what I gather, your smoothie consists of juice, greek yogurt, and almond butter? How about adding fruit and water rather than juice? That way it's not been processed and had sugar added as juice does.
  • chimp517
    chimp517 Posts: 185 Member
    as long as it fits into your macros its fine.
  • Agree with whole fruit rather than juice. Higher fiber, and more natural sugars (fructose)

400 cal is a fairly high calorie breakfast. If it works for you and you are staying under calories, and within macros then carry on
  • ModoVincere
    ModoVincere Posts: 530 Member
    as long as it fits into your macros its fine.
    this....although I might consider adding whole fruit to get a bit more fiber instead of using juice.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Protein is not bad.
  • I personally like to put 2 bananas in every protein shake I eat, I have 1 a day post workout. I like the high fiber content and they fill me up so long as they were frozen.

2scoops chocolate whey
    2cups fat free milk
    2bananas
    1/2 cup oats
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    I just wonder if the sugar from the orange juice I am using, plus all the protein, is bad

Nope, i wouldn't worry about orange juice or protein.
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    I prefer to have protein and fat in the morning anyways since it helps satisfy hunger longer, and is good for you anyways!! When working out you want to have bits of protein all through the day anyways.

I agree with above posters about using whole fruit rather than juice though, the fiber is good to have!

That being said, most of my breakfasts are in the 400-600 calorie range, this morning was bigger than usual at 830 calories!!!
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Add more fruit but if you don't like it thick use water to thin it out while blending.

I would suggest a frozen mix of berries or fruits that you enjoy as being frozen means you shop for the fruit less often and it doesn't go bad for a few months so there is no worry of it going bad before you use it. Freeze fresh banana's peeled as well as they make it more frothy. The more full fruits and less juices you use the better it is for you.

Have fun with it!

My breakfast is 429 calories and has a lot of protein, 39g (but a lot of carbs, 66g, from the natural sugars) and is fairly low in fat, 5g.

2 tbsp Liberte Greek Yogurt 0% Plain
    1/2 cup Sun-Rype Mango Pineapple Juice (with added vegetables)
    1 scoop(39g) Star Six Triple Chocolate Protein Powder
    1 cup Europe's Best Frozen 4-Berry Mix
    1/2 Medium Banana

Doesn't seem like much but it's a very filling meal in a cup :)
  • I just wonder if the sugar from the orange juice I am using, plus all the protein, is bad

Nope, i wouldn't worry about orange juice or protein.

yeah but you gotta be careful with fruit juice. It concentrates all the calories and sugar from several pieces of fruit, and most brands have added sugar. A lot of "fruit juice" doesn't even contain real fruit it is just flavored sugar water.

You aren't likely to sit down and eat 4 oranges for breakfast, but drinking a glass of OJ is the same calories / sugar as doing this, and you are leaving behind the fiber (which will make you feel fuller)

Thus the recommendations to stick with whole fruit vs juices
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    From what I gather, your smoothie consists of juice, greek yogurt, and almond butter? How about adding fruit and water rather than juice? That way it's not been processed and had sugar added as juice does.

I'd also suggest adding fruit instead of juice as it will be healthier and presumably bring down the GI of the concoction