Serious Ab People!

Options
Hello those of you with seriously awesome abdominals,

I've decided I'm going to have a 6-pack (well, more of a girl version) by the time I turn 26 - 4 months away. Give me your best tip! I'll be eating healthy and doing sprints and heavy lifting, what else ya got??

- J

Replies

• nonstopper
    nonstopper Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the Kitchen! - Make sure to eat all the right stuff! Dont think your gonig to see anything that week, if you take down a candy or soda. So stay away from the "bad" calories! Eat your fruit and veggies and take in your good protein foods!

You dont really have to always work your abs hard.
    To get fast results. Do fast intensity workouts like
    #1 sprinting. Running very fast will destroy your bodyfat very quickly and include burpees and some crossfit moves you may know.
    #2 weight lifting can also speed up the process by burning more calories making your Abs show more. `Squats being my top choice.
    #Ab workouts. I would say for beginners to start with hanging Knees rasies, then move on to Hanging Leg rasies. That will work lower and upper and. Make sure to hold for one second every lift to contract that muscle and rip it! You can also do knee and leg rasies laying down.
    Obliques- To me, A great stomach and Abs are nothing with out being presented by the obliques. You can Rip your obliques buy doing `oblique crunches laying down. OR hanging oblique leg lifts, where you twist your body coming up onthe leg lift.
    There are many other workouts to do and you can check them out on youtube if you find the rigth videos. Google more information.

Look into lean shakes and crossfit. There are supplements to help reach goals like this. I have taken ( SuperHD & started my first day of AMP.Protien):glasses:
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Direct ab work
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    Idh abs yet but it's going to happen. Squats, deadlifts and hack squats have been the biggest game changers for me and my core.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Hello those of you with seriously awesome abdominals,

I've decided I'm going to have a 6-pack (well, more of a girl version) by the time I turn 26 - 4 months away. Give me your best tip! I'll be eating healthy and doing sprints and heavy lifting, what else ya got??

- J

only thing you didn't mention was calorie deficit. it was implied, but i'm mentioning it anyway for posterity. :)
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Idh abs yet but it's going to happen. Squats, deadlifts and hack squats have been the biggest game changers for me and my core.

Same. Plank crunches are great for obliques too. I only have abs right after direct ab work, so I do some before I know I'll be in a tummy-bearing situation. Hopefully I'll have abs all the time soon.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Bump for the replies
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    to get abs you need:
    - low body fat
    - strong core muscles

Low body fat:
    - eat at a caloric deficit
    - lower the fatty food content and increase protein
    - I would recommend some cardio - for me, training for my first half marathon was huge... maybe it was because of the long slow runs, or the sheer volume of running threw me into a caloric deficit, but either way, I leaned out substantially

Strong core muscles:
    - running is also good for this
    - lifting weights
    - planks, pushups, crunches, basically any kind of core work.
    - don't just do crunches... tightening the inner core works great at narrowing the waist as the muscles inside get stronger and hold tighter.
  • RandiLandCHANGED
    RandiLandCHANGED Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Posting so I can follow responses! I want to see more definition in the middle.
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    heavy compound lifts. No need to do direct ab work - I haven't in a few years.
  • AuddAlise
    AuddAlise Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    heavy compound lifts. No need to do direct ab work - I haven't in a few years.

This...

Mine are still buried under some fat, but I can feel them under there. When I weight trained for sports (track and football) in highschool and then in the Marines, I didn't do any direct ab work and had an awesome 6 pack. The only time I've bothered with sit-ups or crunches was for passing the PT test in the Marine Corps...only because they make you.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Watch this video for an awesome ab exercise. I do 3 sets of 15 reps around 3 to 4 times per week. I try to increase the number of reps each week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6q7k_D6DGQ&list=PL4CE51ED9E54AA7C3&index=2
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Compound lifts usually do a great job of strengthening the core altogether. I don't do a lot of isolation ab work but when I do it is with weight.
  • Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Drop body fat,it's a boring answer but that's what you need to do,ideally through both diet and strength training,mainly through diet as without this it ain't ever gunna happen
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    good luck!!!
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Cut bodyfat down, do proper abdominal workouts ( not the 10 minutes a day BS) something like 16 sets made up of crunches, captain chairs, leg raises and situps etc.
  • leanneakaliz
    leanneakaliz Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I am not in a situation where I can get any abs there is way too much fat there. However I do hold a low of fat on my stomach that I am desperate to get rid of. A lot of you are saying that a deficit is crucial however recently I have been told that I am consuming too few calories (I eat 1200 - 1400 cals a day) I am 153lbs at the moment and would like to be 150 but also tone up. This week I am starting Jillian Michaels 30 day shred plus I run 1-1.5 miles 4 times a week. What amount of cals would you guys reccomend for effective fat loss on my stomach ?

Thank you in advance :)
  • Summer_Lunatic
    Summer_Lunatic Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    *sneaks in for the answers*
  • SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the answers already given - Eat right, stick to a calorie deficit to lose BF, compound lifts as well as direct ab work to strengthen the are. However, don't overtrain your abs. There is no need to.

I would also add two other things. (1) Be patient! Measure your progress weekly as opposed to day to day - that will drive you nuts.
    (2) get an accurate BF% reading so you know where you are and where you need to get to. Take readings weekly so you know if your BF% is decreasing and you're on the right track.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I always had a visible six pack abs I guess just from the combination of being slim and being a dancer works the core in a very effective way. I had a six pack and had never dieted or lifted weights. I have had two children and now I lift weights to regain my ab definition and it's very effective. Also, I still dance and do yoga/pilates. I guess my situation is not the usual one.