vibram fivefingers - barefoot running

Options
2»

Replies

• lcmartin
    lcmartin Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I love mine for hiking rocky areas...they're really grippy. I just started wearing them while running and so far so good; however, I'm a beginner runner. Week 4 Day 1 of the C25K and have only been running on the treadmill...so that doesn't really count. My husband was a cross country barefoot (actually barefoot) runner...so that's why we purchased them. He's in love with them.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    i am still trying to get a pair. the company is on overload and the store doesn't know when they will be getting an order they said check back in a MONTH!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Ive been showing these to everyone I know since you started the thread. LOL! I still have to check them out. I like the idea of them especailly for the summer.
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    ya go try on a pair they are great. i love them
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I've been researching the shoes all day. There is an article in the Navy Times about a month ago about them. I have shin splits and the runner who've been running barefoot (actually) for a 11 years hasn't had a problem since then. I know I will not go barefoot totally, but the shoes I can live with and I always wear toe socks as it is. I also love the fact that it helps build your calf muscles, (which I am TOTALLY in love with my legs). I think I am going to order these tonight.
  • disneyfetishboy
    disneyfetishboy Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    There's a decent article on barefoot running on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barefoot_running

My brother purchased a pair for me awhile ago after he switched to barefoot running. He runs a few miles a day and has not had an injury since. He and his cadre of running pals swear by them.

I have been using them for a few weeks and am now just getting accustomed to the change in running style and improving my speed/endurance to the point I do not have a speed disadvantage to running in them anymore. I had a long history of foot/ankle problems (achilles tendonitis, planar fasciatis) that had kept me from running/jogging for more than a few days before I had to stop, but no problems so far. Of course, I went through a period where my calves, hamstrings, and achilles were pretty sore, but I am getting past that now.

They are extremely comfortable once you get used to them. Most important, they give you piece of mind that you need to try barefoot running by keeping you from worrying about stepping on glass/rocks/etc.