Have done the BMR and TDEE and I'm GAINING WEIGHT

Options

Replies

• rachel8993
    Options
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    The calculators are just averages and won't be correct for everyone. But 10 lbs sound like a crazy amount to gain without a change in exercise (assuming the roller derby isn't new). I think checking your thyroid is a good idea, but perhaps you just need to eat less.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Go to fitfrog.com and get your TDEE. Take away 20%. Eat that. Simple.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    Well there's definitely nothing wrong with your math!

Because if you've gained ten pounds in four weeks you've gained 2.5 pounds per week (10/4=2.5). Which means you've been eating a caloric surplus of 8750 per week (2.5 pounds of fat * 3500 calories per pound = 8750). Which, if there are seven days in a week, means you've been overeating your TDEE by 1250 (8750 / 7 = 1250).

Which means your TDEE is 400 calories a day (1650 - 1250).

TL;DR - you're doing something wrong with your math or your food measurements.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    To the person that just posted that they eat 1200 calories and burn 300/day walking...(sorry the quote thing didn't work).

So you're only netting 900 calories a day?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    .How accurately are you logging your food? Are you weighing everything?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Because if you've gained ten pounds in four weeks you've gained 2.5 pounds per week (10/4=2.5). Which means you've been eating a caloric surplus of 8750 per week (2.5 pounds of fat * 3500 calories per pound = 8750). Which, if there are seven days in a week, means you've been overeating your TDEE by 1250 (8750 / 7 = 1250).

Which means your TDEE is 400 calories a day (1650 - 1250).

TL;DR - you're doing something wrong with your math or your food measurements.

I think you mean if she gained 10 lb of fat, not weight.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Step one: Step awaaaaay from the scale.
    Step two: Take a deep breath.
    Step three: Continue eating healthy, watching calories and exercising.
    Step four: Concentrate on how much more energy and well-being you have from living a healthy lifestyle. Weight loss and increased physical attractiveness is a just a positive side effect.

Step 100001: If you are still not losing (or even gaining) weight after about 2 or 3 months there is probably something else going on such as a medical issue or your body just simply has a slow metabolism, therefore changes and tweaks should be made.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options

It's so nice to hear from you again. How are things? Your family? Your kids? Okay! Formalities out of the way, let's get back to another pointless argument, you and I.

I'm conversing with the OP regarding the contention that she has "gained 10 pounds."

Great to hear from you again; bye.
  • Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same issue -_- ... but I agree with the others that perhaps your body is getting use to your new routine. Also, if you're doing TDEE do not eat back your exercise cals since you've already included that.

Since its been a full month, try playing around with it, everyone is different. Up your cals for a couple weeks, if that doesn't work then lower them.

For me, upping my exercise seems to work. which is weird becuase diet use to be enough for me (everyone says diet is 80% of weight loss). But as I get older thats not necessarily the case... FOR ME.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I'm conversing with the OP regarding the contention that she has "gained 10 pounds."

Telling the OP that she's doing it wrong because she couldn't possibly have gained 10 lbs of weight is just your assumption. Weight is not always fat.
  • BurtHuttz
    Options
    Telling the OP that she's doing it wrong because she couldn't possibly have gained 10 lbs of weight is just your assumption. Weight is not always fat.

*clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap*
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as others have noted, if you're doing TDEE method then you dont eat back your calories. I've recent;y started doing this and am seeing progress again.

What i do is account for 6 hours/week of exercise in my TDEE. When I log workouts I put them in as 1 calorie burned. Anything more than 6 hours i count as additional calories burned not accounted for in my TDEE. i'm finding this way easier for me since i'm essentially eating the same amount of calories each day and not left with any surprises
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    If you do TDEE - 15%-20%, exercise calories do not count.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job but I roller skate (roller derby)

Are you new at derby or have you changed your diet recently? I was vegetarian, then went to eating meat (without raising my calories) towards the end of my Fresh Meat training and I gained 10 pounds in 3 weeks. Probably water, fat AND muscle, but still... 10 pounds! Gak!

If you're accurate with your food measurements and you really only eat 1600-1700 per day, then I'd say your body needed the weight to do the derby better. I PERSONALLY as a derby girl set my BMR/TDEE as "sedentary" but then log exercise on top of that. And I eat back calories I "earn" thru derby practice. Most of the girls on the team who weren't obese to begin with have gained (muscle) weight. And the only way they've been successful at losing it after they've joined the team has been by adding running on non-derby days.
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This happened to me but I am on track now.

After years of yo-yoing with 800-1200 calories I decided to get healthy and get real in my goals.

I did a lot of the calculations and came up with averages. Started working out 3-4 days a week for 30-60min including lifting.

It took about 4-6 weeks for me to start to lose- I would have days where I was really really bloated, I'd gained 5+ pounds and was getting really frustrated.

It takes some playing with your numbers and macros

I stuck with it and I'm now losing slow and steady but I look A LOT leaner. I average about 1500-1600 a day and don't eat my calories back.

I like this website to figure some numbers too: www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc
    I've had the most success with -20% on non work out days and -10% TDEE on workout days.

GOOD LUCK
  • agengo
    agengo Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the replies!

@WBB55, I've been doing derby for 3 years, just back from an ankle break. When I first started I went from 150 to 135 in just a few months and really shaped up. Also, I wasn't eating NEARLY as well as I am now with the fruits/veggies and protein and I was at that weight for about 2 years. Now I have to start over plus 10 lbs. :(

My legs are firming up again but the overall body fat is baaaad. Tracking does keep me honest though! I'll keep at it.

I have taken measurements, so hopefully I can see the improvement there.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    eat fewer carbs and more protein

^^^^^THIS.I kept gaining on my TDEE until i switched my macros to 40(C):30(P):30(F) and really made sure i get all of my protein in and any cut in calories really comes from carbs and little fat.Overdoing carbs will make you gain weight light crazy-i did put on a good 20 pounds with that in a period of 6 months,but i was working on my metabolism reset(eating at TDEE) so i wasnt much worried,now im concentrating on losing body fat-now the inches are going down.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    just back from an ankle break.

I'm just back from an injury, too. Started back on Jan. 8. If you're eating more whole/high quality proteins now, to _ME_ it makes sense that you might build some new muscle (as well as the water/glycogen stores that go along with that) when you get back to practice. Derby builds core and leg muscles like what. So your body is just getting used to practice again and all the awesome high quality/complete proteins you're feeding it.

My BMR/TDEE isn't too far off of yours (though I'm a couple inches taller). My current plan/system is to NET between 1500-1800 on the day after derby practice/bouts (since I'm usually hungry the days after practice, not the days of, and since I don't wanna skate on a full stomach -- just makes me puke after endurance drills or jamming) and NET 1200-1500 on all other days. *Hopefully* keeping my NET calories at an average of 1500 per day for the week (since our BMR is 1450 or so, and we DEFINITELY don't want to lose muscle, we HAVE to NET more than our BMR every single day, on average). So my ACTUAL calories eaten are between 1500-2500 each day. I've lost a pound per week this month. If I stall out with weight loss, I'll drop it to 1400 NET on average.

EDIT to add that 160 lbs on a derby girl isn't the same as 160 lbs on an average person. BMI charts don't accurately indicate our "fitness" levels. So rock your awesome body on your booty blocks and add some endurance on off days if you aren't losing fat fast enough. <3
  • Chickabittie
    Options

I like this website to figure some numbers too: www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc

This website is AWESOME! The calculators are just what I needed! Thanks!