Calories burned from walking ...

cmw72
cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So ... I just went for a little power-walk on my break.

I traced my route on this cool website I found: http://www.walkjogrun.net

It lets you calculate the exact distance of your route. You can then enter your weight, and how long you walked for, and it will tell you how many calories you burned.

I walked 0.92 miles in 16 minutes at a rate of 3.4 mph.

The site above tells me that at my current weight (318.4), I burned 223.6 calories.

But if I enter 16 minutes of "Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace" on MFP (which also knows my weight), it tells me I only burned 146.

Who should I believe?

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    I'd like to know, too!! I run into this problem a LOT! I usually just log whatever amount is smallest, but I am curious to know what would be more accurate. And I'm too cheap to buy an HRM, which I know would be the best way to eliminate confusion!
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    The only accurate way to know is to invest in a good heart rate monitor.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    The only accurate way to know is to invest in a good heart rate monitor.

I agree but I think that this website might be more accurate for you than MFP since it takes all of those factors into consideration.

D
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    I truly agree with kechevarria! I wear a HRM (chest strap that transmits to the watch) and with jogging 2.5 miles I burn just a little under 250! The estimates on machines and on theses site are usually HIGHER than what you actually burn. Also the plain watch HRM is NOT as accurate as the chest strap either! Do your best!!!!
  • kfsooner
    kfsooner Posts: 40
    You can adjust the calories burned when you input your exercise. Just plug the time in, then input the calories the site said you burned. I always need to do this because I use my treadmill with the incline way up (10%) and always burn more calories than MFP says!

I will be looking for a Heart Rate Monitor later on this year, when my sister has had hers for 6 months and she can let me know what she thinks!!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    So ... I just went for a little power-walk on my break.

I traced my route on this cool website I found: http://www.walkjogrun.net

It lets you calculate the exact distance of your route. You can then enter your weight, and how long you walked for, and it will tell you how many calories you burned.

I walked 0.92 miles in 16 minutes at a rate of 3.4 mph.

The site above tells me that at my current weight (318.4), I burned 223.6 calories.
    But if I enter 16 minutes of "Walking, 3.5 mph, brisk pace" on MFP (which also knows my weight), it tells me I only burned 146.

Who should I believe?

In this case, MFP wins.

According to the American College of Sports Medicine metabolic equations, 16 min @ 3.4 mph @ your weight burns: 139 Calories.
This discussion has been closed.