A safe diet pill?!

Options
2»

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I did quite a bit of research on "diet pills" a while back. I found it funny that almost to a one, they all said, "take this pill, and eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly". I was like "DUH" if you eat a balanced diet and exercise regularly, why do you need the pill?

And you know what? I checked out a bunch of studies done by colleges, and I was pretty much right! Some of them do slightly aid weight loss, but not drastically. The ones that curb appetite are usually dangerous because they cause you to limit your intake, or shut off some natural body function.
    Alli, I found (right from their website), did a study and found that people who take it lost 6 lbs per year more then the group using a placebo and healthy diet and exercise. LOL, why even do it? Considering the way you have to curb your fat intake and the nasty side effects it can have.

here is a good article I found about Alli on the mayoclinic site.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/alli/WT00030

Not trying to knock anyone's attempts, but really, I am a firm believer in the idea that YOU can effect change in your body, not a drug. Obviously there are exceptions to this (medical conditions...etc), but overall the majority of people can do it without that kind of help if they stick to a healthy lifestyle and exercise regularly.
  • GIGINATOR
    GIGINATOR Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    i agree banks, why put additives and pills into your body if they are not good for you. Learn to modify your lifestyle and eating and you will lose and maintain your weight the healthy way. From many years of trying other aternatives, I now know the old fashioned way works best!!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Alli? Um, I'm scared to use it. I don't know if I would like the side affects. Do you have any problem with it? Such as the ones mentioned in the instructions?

I tried it and didn't like it. I was watching what I was eating but the effects are yucky! You .... excuse me for lack of a better term... fart grease! and when you have a bm it looks like you pooped pizza grease! so nasty. gave it away!

Soooo agree! I tried it, and I realized that I can only take a total of 1 pill a week, without the nasty side effects. I ruined a pair of jeans!!! I only take one now, like, at holidays with the family meals. Or, if I'm out with my friends and we order something really fattening...otherwise, I get bad side effects.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would second the recommendation above for cinnamon. I take a supplement (you can get it at whole foods or a health food store) and I notice when I forget to take it. I believe it is helping to regulate my blood sugar.

Diet pills are dangerous in so many ways.
  • Aprilina
    Aprilina Posts: 12
    Options
    For sweets there are a couple different things you could try. Taking chromium or cinnamon supplements can help balance the blood sugar, which can really help cut back the sugar cravings.

They could also be caused by an overgrowth of Candida, which is a kind of yeast. If that's the case, there will be other symptoms like bloating or gas, grumpiness, fatigue, headaches. One dead give away is if you also get yeast infections often.

And yes, when you give in to the cravings and eat the sugar, the Candida gets worse, and you crave sugar more. So it is kind of like an addiction. :tongue:

If it's Candida, you can try an all-natural cleanse from your local health store, just make sure you take probiotics (beneficial flora supplements) if you decide to do one, to replace the good bacteria as you're killing all the bad.

:flowerforyou:
    Thanks so much for answereing .I'm going to give it a try!
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    :smile: No problem.