protein problem

Options
I was just wondering is it unhealthy to always be over on your protein intake? I can' t seem to get mine under no matter what kind of day day I have

Replies

• jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Unless your sole source of calories is protein, you are fine. I (and others) believe that MFP sets the protein too low. As long as you are eating lean sources of protein (chicken, fish, etc.) that aren't adding too much fat, you are probably okay but if you want a better opinion, ask your doctor.
  • ashleyhawn
    ashleyhawn Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have the exact same problem! I am always over my protein for the day!
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it MFPs calculation on protein is really low especially if you're exercising
  • kp82883
    kp82883 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Protein helps burn fat. I would adjust your MFP settings...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    MFPs default macros settings are very low protein, very high carb...bunk IMHO. Protein is very important, particularly when you're eating at a deficit. In the absence of enough protein, at a deficit, you lose a lot of lean body mass in conjunction with your fat loss. High protein helps preserve that LBM. You can manually change your macro goals...try for 50c/25p/25hf or 40c/30p/30hf and see how that works for you. I do 40/30/30 and it's really helping in my training as well as keeping me feeling full most of the time.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Protein helps burn fat. I would adjust your MFP settings...

I wanted to make a small correction... protein helps you retain muscle, it does not help you burn fat.

OP, think of protein and fats as minimums.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I don't ever worry about being over on protein. A nutritionist once told me that if you focus on lean, healthy proteins, then the carbs/fats will take care of themselves. Protein also has longer "staying power" as it takes longer to digest than fat or carbs.
  • Jadetaft
    Options
    that's what I thought I would rather be over on the protein than any of the others but I didn't' t know if I was doing something wrong. I am exercising quite a bit so glad protein is good for me :) how do I change the protein setting?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    that's what I thought I would rather be over on the protein than any of the others but I didn't' t know if I was doing something wrong. I am exercising quite a bit so glad protein is good for me :) how do I change the protein setting?

home <-- goals <--- custom

I like macro's around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.
  • Jadetaft
    Options

home <-- goals <--- custom

I like macro's around 35% carbs, 40% protein and 25% fats.

thank you I've changed mine now
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I tend to look at MFP as a minimum amount of protein for the day.

Barring any existing medical issues, excess proteins are the least likely to cause health or dieting problems. We need all of our macro nutrients, but if you are going to go over on one, it should be protein.