elliptical

I was listening to a fitness radio show and an avid fitness person/model was stating that working out on the elliptical is the same as doing nothing, it is of no benefit, it will not help you lose weight, improve muscle tone, etc. She was joking about how they are the biggest scam ever. What do you think?

Replies

• benday1671
    benday1671 Posts: 7 Member
    Personally I think that is way off track. It is a low impact exercise, that one can use to get their heart rate up and get moving. Heart rate is the best indication of level of effort, which burns calories.

To say it is of no benefit is ridiculous.
  • TxLdy3
    TxLdy3 Posts: 31
    I started actually using the elliptical I bought over a year ago & so far I've lost 14 lbs. 11 lbs. just using the elliptical & watching my diet another 3 after joining MFP...IF it doesn't work then something else sure has me losing weight...
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    I use my elliptical 3-4 times a week and think it is a great workout. My personal trainer did say however that cardio alone will not help you lose all the weight you want to if you don't incorporate some strength training, so maybe there is a bit of truth in it. Although I think the elliptical is a great workout, I always feel like I got a great workout in after I've done it and it has to be better than sitting on the couch trying lose weight right??? LOL!
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Yeah, maybe a fitness model can't see the benefit of an elliptical; but, for folks who have 20-50-100 pounds to lose, any greater degree of activity -- which would include working out on an elliptical -- combined with proper diet is not a scam.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    I'm not sure how anyone could state that any sort of movement is the same as doing nothing. So according to that "expert" I should sit on my *kitten* all day other than lifting weights? Seems like cardio fitness is important too. As for weightloss, yeah, I think that you can lose weight on diet alone.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    I vote that the person on the radio is an idiot.

You are moving, you are getting your heart rate up, you are exercising... I don't see how that is the same as doing nothing.

Another example as to why you shouldn't listen to and believe everything so called experts say on the radio, news or tv.

I would actually like to speak with this person and ask, if it was such a waste of time using an elliptical and it is the same as doing nothing how I managed to lose 75lbs using that machine.

Seriously, that person is an idiot and actually knows nothing about weight loss and fitness.

Ellipticals are a great addition to a routine. I use mine at home regularly.
  • It's low impact, and can be programmed to have high resistance and inclines..

I think the 'joke' factor comes in when you have zero resistance and zero incline, and go fast like a jack rabbit ..using momentum only , instead of your body and muscles, to speed along.
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    I was listening to a fitness radio show and an avid fitness person/model was stating that working out on the elliptical is the same as doing nothing, it is of no benefit, it will not help you lose weight, improve muscle tone, etc. She was joking about how they are the biggest scam ever. What do you think?

what an asswipe! I love the elliptical. It gets my heart rate up, gets me moving, and is easy on my ankles. I strength train too (with machines), but next time I see my one appointment a month with the personal trainer I want her to teach me how to lift weights with the big boys.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    I'm not sure what context they're talking in but my results say otherwise. It burns calories, I can get my heart rate to max out, and it's easier on my knees and back than running (outdoors or indoors).

I always use incline and weight resistance but now because of the weight I've lost the past 5 months, I've been able to go back to doing the machine's full incline and I've always used resistance...something I haven't been able to do for years. Yes, I also do weights but if I've had a big day/special meal, I like to hit the elliptical for a big calorie burn. On the elliptical, a 60 min. interval workout plus a 5 min. cool down equals an 840-900 calorie burn for me.
  • kcallas88
    kcallas88 Posts: 192
    yeah thats a lie.

i've gone from 144 to 127 while pretty much using an elliptical 90% of the time. The only time i didn't was if none were available at the gym...in which case i used the bike.

Anything that gets your heart rate up benefits you and can promote weight loss!
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Yeah, it might not have the best bang-for-your-buck, but I think the elliptical is decent. Since it's fairly low-impact, I use it to warm up at the beginning of my gym routine. It gets my heart rate going (especially if I crank up the resistance), and then I'm ready to move on to weights and other gym activities

I think solely using the elliptical isn't the most efficient workout, and it's not going to build muscles very well, but compared to sitting on the couch? No comparison, really.
  • woolstockboy1
    woolstockboy1 Posts: 50 Member
    Let's see after 35-40 minutes on the elliptical my heart rate is around 150 and I usually have a good sweat going and when I step off my legs sometimes feel like jello. If that isn't doing anything than I guess i'm just crazy.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    i'm guessing she meant its not going to reshape your physique other then burning fat.

thats pretty much true but burning fat is really all most people are looking for, especailly woman.
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    I love my elloptical! I've had 2 over the last 12 years and have used it as part of my workout routine on a fairly regular basis. It's my favorite workout cause it's easy and gets my heart rate up and does help me to burn calories more-so than sitting on the couch. I'm 41-years-old and believe it or not, I don't have any cellulite and my legs are quite solid. Tell me the elliptical has done nothing for me over the last 12 years? No, I do not agree.
  • I use my elliptical occasionally (maybe three times a week). My heart rate goes up and I use it gently just to maintain a level of exertion that raises me probably into the light/moderately active level. I only use it for about 15 mins but I can feel my quads ache after and if I do it for more than that, the day after they hurt a little. To burn fat you need to maintain constant but not exhausting exertion and work the biggest muscle groups you've got which are quads and glutes. Make them bigger/better and you'll burn fat. To say that a certain type of exercise is useless is bunk. But, you should try mixing it up, like with Jillian Michael's 30 day shred if you want to see a fast body shape change. That said, exercise makes you hungry so if you can maintain levels of activity while not making yourself need to eat then it's all gravy!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Ugh...I really hate when people are fitness snobs!! I wonder when the last time was that she used an elliptical. Those of us who do and can still challenge ourselves but upping the resistance and/or going faster know that it can kick your *kitten* even if you are more fit. No wonder people are so intimidated about going to the gym or even going for a walk outside when you have these types of idiots that judge and have no sense of empathy for others who aren't just like them! Who cares what you're doing as long as you're moving and sweating?!

By the way, it's a cardio machine, it's not meant to tone! It's meant to get your heart rate up and burn calories. If people want to tone, they do resistance/strength training.
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    The elliptical definitely has benefits and can give you a great sweat session-- if you use it right. When I started out I got on the elliptical for 12 minutes at level 1 before I cried uncle. I stuck with the treadmill for a few weeks before my trainer plopped me back on the elliptical. The difference between the two is huge! Personally the elliptical has helped build up my thigh muscles, which was easy since I was starting from the couch basically. I agree with everyone though that it is used to burn calories and not tone.
  • reverendzor
    reverendzor Posts: 27 Member
    The "avid fitness person/model" had no idea what they were talking about in my opinion. I lost my first 60lbs of weight using the Elliptical for 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week (over a year) without to much change in diet.

Once I joined MFP and figured out the diet part of things, I continued to use the elliptical machine to loose an additional 60+lbs. The only reason I am not using it now days is I am a bit more focused on strength building and building up jogging endurance versus pure weight loss.

So stick with the elliptical for a great low impact carido workout that burns calories! If it gets you sweating then you are doing it right!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Well ive lost some weight, get my heart rate up, and get moving without further damaging my poor knees...I think this person doesn't know what shes talking about.
  • mmarlow61
    mmarlow61 Posts: 112 Member
    I know my elliptical kicks my butt!!! lol I do good to go 3 minutes in one set. Yet I can go out in the yard and cut with the pushmower for 1 to 2 hours at a time. lol doesn't seem right huh?