How do YOU stay consistent

Options
lilRicki
lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
My biggest problem is staying consistent. For a week I'll go to the gym 3 times, next week I'll go twice and maybe walk the dog, week after that I'll sort of walk the dog (around the block) and make excuses that it's to cold, or I don't have enough time after work. I KNOW that when I am consistent I feel great, I see results, I get all these benefits. How do you stop falling off the wagon? Is it all self talk? "This is for me, this is for my health, this is because I'm amazing" or is it punishment? "If I don't go to the gym, I'm not going out with the girls either". What's your strategy?

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    For me personally, its just about the commitment. Yes I have times I rather not, but I do it anyway and I always glad I did. Find a time that works for you and go do work. Its something that I take time for me because I enjoy the benefits..
  • McCelmer
    McCelmer Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    What got me out of my rut was the commitment to meet up with others to exercise. I have a few people from work I run with a few days/week - we meet before work and run for about an hour. I rely on them and they rely on me to show up. If you're accountable to someone, you're more likely to follow-through.

After I got into a regular routine with them, it made me want to do more on my own so on the days when I'm not meeting up with friends, I'll do a DVD at home or run solo.

Do you have a potential workout partner or someone to help keep you motivated? :smile:
  • nosey_rosey
    nosey_rosey Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    You need to find something you enjoy!!! Exercise doesn't it have to be a task.... It almost becomes an addiction when you love :)
  • MissyINGa
    MissyINGa Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this myself. I have found that if I can make it to the gym first thing in the morning then all is good. Afternoon workouts are not going to happen for this girl. Too many distractions!!!
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I've always found it difficult to get to a gym regularly, too. What works for me is making the workout as easy to *get to* as possible. Run in my neighborhood, do weights or cardio at home... that sort of thing. If I have to get over a hurdle to get TO the workout, I'm more likely to take a pass, while if it's something that's immediately accessible from your couch... it makes it very difficult to let yourself just sit on the couch.
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've always found it difficult to get to a gym regularly, too. What works for me is making the workout as easy to *get to* as possible. Run in my neighborhood, do weights or cardio at home... that sort of thing. If I have to get over a hurdle to get TO the workout, I'm more likely to take a pass, while if it's something that's immediately accessible from your couch... it makes it very difficult to let yourself just sit on the couch.

I couldn't agree more.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'll be doing great with my workouts and then completely screw it up. One missed workout turns into two, then three, then four and before I know it...I haven't exercised in 3 weeks. I think it's because I get bored with the same routines all the time. Maybe try a new dvd?
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I've made it a habit to go to the gym. It is part of my daily routine (except for my rest day). I missed a month of the gym early on after starting back, but then I made it about me and "I want this" and started going consistently. It was a matter of do or do not, there is no try. I chose do and haven't looked back.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    My biggest problem is staying consistent. For a week I'll go to the gym 3 times, next week I'll go twice and maybe walk the dog, week after that I'll sort of walk the dog (around the block) and make excuses that it's to cold, or I don't have enough time after work. I KNOW that when I am consistent I feel great, I see results, I get all these benefits. How do you stop falling off the wagon? Is it all self talk? "This is for me, this is for my health, this is because I'm amazing" or is it punishment? "If I don't go to the gym, I'm not going out with the girls either". What's your strategy?

Don't mean to sound snarky, but I'm not sure how else to say this. If the bolded part isn't enough to keep you consistent, I'm not sure anything will. I mean - if you feel great and see results - what more motivation do you really need?
  • lilRicki
    Options

Don't mean to sound snarky, but I'm not sure how else to say this. If the bolded part isn't enough to keep you consistent, I'm not sure anything will. I mean - if you feel great and see results - what more motivation do you really need?

I know that feeling great and seeing results should be all the motivation I need to bust my @ss, but clearly it's not, hence the questions.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way. I see it working, then I think, well, if I am losing that fast, I don't mind if I slow down a little and then give up completely. I don't know what works. I've tried having a work out buddy, and then I either bring them to my level where it's ok not to show up, or they bring me to their level where neither of us don't want to show up. I've tried giving myself goals, like be under 200 by Christmas, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do either.
  • sbjmorgan
    sbjmorgan Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I change up my workouts all the time. I might do a bunch of Just Dance for wii, I might jog, I might do pilates, I might do yoga, I might do 30 day shred and I always add some at home weight training using body weight exercises, kettlebells or dumbbells... I like trying new things and keeping it new all the time. I work different muscles and don't feel bored with what I'm doing.
  • lilRicki
    Options
    I'm the same way. I see it working, then I think, well, if I am losing that fast, I don't mind if I slow down a little and then give up completely. I don't know what works. I've tried having a work out buddy, and then I either bring them to my level where it's ok not to show up, or they bring me to their level where neither of us don't want to show up. I've tried giving myself goals, like be under 200 by Christmas, but that didn't work. I don't know what to do either.

Mixed with Seasonal Depression and "I don't give a *kitten*" makes it hard. I love when I start losing, and then I just don't go...it's seems strange to me too
  • candirose69
    Options
    i like having someone important accountable to.

at work a bunch of us have a table with our names and days and we tick when we do more then 30 min exercise.
    great way to track and get 'guilted' into going. my husband has also started being heaps more supportive and will call me on my gym routine 'don't you have gym tonight?' :)
  • schicksa
    schicksa Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    It takes about a month to get something ingrained as a habit. The trick is to push through that "slow down" period to where it just becomes part of your routine. That 2 week period is usually when I hit it. If I can push through that and stay focused, it gets easier.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I know that feeling great and seeing results should be all the motivation I need to bust my @ss, but clearly it's not, hence the questions.

Then you need to find a reason to do it. If there is no real reason to continue, it is easy to stop. You have a few reasons listed in your profile, but are they worth it to you? Is it worth doing the work to change all the things you listed from desires into accomplishments? When you find the reason to do it, you make the decision to do it and it happens. I'm not trying to be mean. It is hard to get to the point where you are consistent. Often the change has to start with your attitude and an evaluation of what you really want to achieve and what work you are willing to put into it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    For me, I basically just decided that this is my new life. I'm not unfamiliar with it...it was my old life before I started a new life of being lazy and sitting around eating and drinking...and eating more. I know what it feels like and what I look like when I'm healthy, fit, and strong and I want that back...it's enough for me.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I work out every day at the same time. "I'll just go tomorrow" is not a usable excuse.

I do a different workout every day of the week, and use an undualting periodization for strength workouts, so I only repeat exact workouts weekly for running/yoga and every 3 weeks for strength. Every day is a new and interesting challenge.

No matter what the situation, no excuse exists that can override a few minutes of walking on the treadmill at home. If I don't feel up to my normal workout for whatever reason, I at least get on the treadmill and walk for a bit. Having an easy failsafe fallback option prevents ever skipping. There is simply no way I can justify skipping to myself.

Once its a habit, its not hard to keep at it.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I get up every morning and do something.
    I get home from work every day and do something.
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I got a trainer for 1 day a week - more for the motivation and the accountability than anything else. that helped me stay consistent for the first months until now I really want the exercise on my own and miss it when I don't go. the trainer was key