Inconsistency between calorie counter

Options
Hi, is it just me or does the calorie counter on MFP give you way too many calories. I have recorded my workout summary and it doesn’t match up. I have started changing the calories to reflect my workout summary which has reduced the number of calories I am allowed for the day…so easy to over eat.

Replies

• imadyer
    imadyer Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed this! When I've used a stationary bike or elliptical at the Y, the calories burned as displayed by the machine (into which I have entered my weight) are always SIGNIFICANTLY higher on MFP, often by 200-300 calories. I've just been recording the lower amount from the gym to be safe. But when it comes to hiking and such, there's nothing to compare MFP's calorie burn to. I guess I'll have to break down and get a calorie counter watch.
  • Jack1daniel2
    Options
    Does anyone know how to calculate your calories for when you use the wii or on wii dance, there's a site for zumber I think but could do with help for what to put down for the wii
  • jasonp_ritzert
    jasonp_ritzert Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    There have also been studies out that show that cardio equipment over-estimate the amount of calories burned because they can only take into account age and weight for some, not height, sex, etc. Most machines you enter a weight and for me I'm 6'2'', 215 lbs, pretty solid guy (approx 15% body fat), but there will be a difference in the calories burned for me at 215 than say a woman that's 5'4'' at 215 lbs. I was always told to enter in 20% less body weight and that will give you a better idea of the actual calories burned.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor is more accurate.
  • Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Get a Heart Rate Monitor and use it whenever you workout. It is the most accurate way to see calories burned. I have a Polar FT7 and it works great.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I have definitely noticed this! When I've used a stationary bike or elliptical at the Y, the calories burned as displayed by the machine (into which I have entered my weight) are always SIGNIFICANTLY higher on MFP, often by 200-300 calories. I've just been recording the lower amount from the gym to be safe. But when it comes to hiking and such, there's nothing to compare MFP's calorie burn to. I guess I'll have to break down and get a calorie counter watch.

I have news for you. Those calorie counters on the machines are way off as well.
  • AngelaKelly02
    AngelaKelly02 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I don't trust mfp either, I went and bought a heart rate monitor, I'm hoping it's a little more accurate.
  • Candice_AZ
    Options
    http://www.polarusa.com/us-en/products/improve_fitness/fitness_crosstraining/FT40/
    This is one of the best inventions ever. Much more accurate
  • imadyer
    Options

I have news for you. Those calorie counters on the machines are way off as well.

Oops! I meant to say that I record the lower amount from MFP, not the gym. I am definitely getting the calorie counter.
  • imadyer
    Options

Oops! I meant to say that I record the lower amount from MFP, not the gym. I am definitely getting the calorie counter.

Aargh! wrong again. In any case, I record the lower amount to be safe.