Help with moving? South Carolina?

Options
DeterminedAshley
DeterminedAshley Posts: 297 Member
I am currently going to school for my generals at a technical college, and I plan to transfer next January. I live in Sioux Falls, South Dakota right now, and I've always wanted to move to the South. (I have moved over 30 times, but unfortunately only in the Midwest) My degree is going to be music therapy, and there are only a handful of colleges that offer that as a program. (One degree instead of a major and a minor.) The school I'm looking at right now is Charleston Southern University.

Do any of you live in South Carolina? Which part? Do you love it? I have been looking at Greenville for awhile, but I'm starting to stray off to Charleston.

Is it cheap (ish) to live? My boyfriend went to school for machining, would there be any good paying jobs for him down there? Are people friendly and inviting? I've done quite a bit of research on living there, and it seems to be a great place. But some "yankees" argue that southern hospitality is only towards native southerners.

Advice please. :)

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    I dont think there is a school called Souther Carolina University lol. I lived in SC for 18yrs...Id recommend College of Charleston (Charleston, SC) the best small town in the South.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    I too am from SC all mah life...and I have never heard of a Souther Carolina University. But I agree, you would probably love the College of Charleston. Beach, good food, lots of humidity and mosquitoes that will fly off with you....what more could you ask?
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    Hahahah, wow, I combined Coastal Carolina with Charleston Southern University :P Sorry about that!

Thanks! Did you go to college there?
  • Akumu
    Akumu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm from the northeast and I visit a friend in SC, 30 min from Greenville (I actually fly into GSP). I love it down there and the people are very friendly.
  • DarkAngel262
    DarkAngel262 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lived in South Carolina most of my life (Greenville) I went to University of South Carolina.

Charleston is a beautiful, fun city. I don't know how cheap it is these days, but hey, I say go for it. It is a beautiful state!
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    Which place has more to do for a young couple? We enjoy the beach, MOVIES, (i'll be 21 by the time we move there, so downtown scene), museums, concerts, musicals, etc.

Oh yeah, and he is HUGE into racing. Me, not so much.
  • Countryboy_
    Options
    Hahahah, wow, I combined Coastal Carolina with Charleston Southern University :P Sorry about that!

So, which school are you considering? Charleston is a great city. coastal carolina is at Myrtle Beach...and that is just to commercialized and touristy for my taste anyway....sooooo much traffic. But on the other hand, there are a plethora of adult entertainment clubs there.....
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I live in Charleston, SC and I love it here for the most part. (damn humidity!)

Charleston Southern University does have a good music program, but I hated that school lol SO many rules there. But then again, I was into partying at the time and didn't care much about my studies, so you might be different.

As far as living costs....it's reasonable, as long as you stay off the water and downtown areas (those can be a bit pricey)
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    Lived in South Carolina most of my life (Greenville) I went to University of South Carolina.

Charleston is a beautiful, fun city. I don't know how cheap it is these days, but hey, I say go for it. It is a beautiful state!

Oh, this is a perfect scenario...thank you! Do you guys EVER get snow? Is the traffic bad? Sorry for such silly questions.
  • lizdavis07
    lizdavis07 Posts: 766 Member
    Options

So, which school are you considering? Charleston is a great city. coastal carolina is at Myrtle Beach...and that is just to commercialized and touristy for my taste anyway....sooooo much traffic. But on the other hand, there are a plethora of adult entertainment clubs there.....

Coastal has the highest STD rate in the area. Good school but wrap it! :flowerforyou:
  • DarkAngel262
    Options

Oh, this is a perfect scenario...thank you! Do you guys EVER get snow? Is the traffic bad? Sorry for such silly questions.

All my years living there it snowed usually once a year, iced usually once a year as well. The traffic isn't bad to me (I live in Houston now!) but the highways are typically 2-3 lanes, so that can cause traffic.
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options

I have looked at Coastal, it is BEAUTIFUL! But, you are right. I think it would be a great place for a single person. ;) Right now I am in between Greenville, and Charleston.

My boyfriend has a cousin who lives in Greenville, and we plan to go on "vacation" early summer to see if we would like to live there.

I am in more of a hurry than he is, though. I have to make sure I'll get accepted. (I have a 3.8 right now, so I'm not that worried..) I graduate from the two year college in December.
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    I live in Charleston, SC and I love it here for the most part. (damn humidity!)

Charleston Southern University does have a good music program, but I hated that school lol SO many rules there. But then again, I was into partying at the time and didn't care much about my studies, so you might be different.

As far as living costs....it's reasonable, as long as you stay off the water and downtown areas (those can be a bit pricey)

Crime rate? Which part of Charleston do you live in?
    Well, I love to party, but my boyfriend has never been into it. Maybe it will change when we move. I won't live on campus though, we will have our own house/apartment. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    Charleston has it all, beaches, culture, history, FANTASTIC resturaunts a KILLER part scene.

For the person who went to Charleston Souther it used to be a Bible School, hence the rules.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hey honey, I was born and raised here in South Carolina. I live in Elgin which is about 20 minutes from Columbia. You only asked about Charleston, so here is just a touch about it.
    Charleston (or Chahhlston as we call it) is a lovely city. A couple of years ago I took one of those cheesy ghost tours with my kids and we had a blast.

Compared to other parts of SC, Charleston, also known as the Holy City, is more expensive to live, but not much. It's called the Holy City because no matter where you stand in downtown Charleston, you see a Church.

Our winters are mild. If we get snow, it is about January or February and usually melts in a day. Our summers are HOT HOT HOT though. Good heavens.

I hope you love SC as much as I do. :bigsmile:
  • DarkAngel262
    Options
    Greenville Goodies

*Plenty of restaurants and bars
    *Variety of religious establishments
    *Weather is usually pretty good (you have all four seasons, nothing too crazy)
    *It is cheap to live there. My 1 bedroom/2story brick townhouse was $495 a month
    *Great place to raise a family
    *Schools close by are USC Upstate, Greenville Tech, Clemson
    *Not too many bad, unsafe areas in town

Greenville Not so Goodies

*It IS a smaller town with not a huge diversity in people/cultures
    *We do have an airport but it's small and rather expensive to fly in and out of
    *Nightlife is limited as downtown consists of one street...aptly named Main Street
    *It can get very cold in the winter (30s or below)
    *Jobs - - there are only a handful of big companies (Jacobs, Fluor, Michelin, BMW) so if times get tough you are in a small population all fighting for the same jobs

Hope this helps!
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    Hey honey, I was born and raised here in South Carolina. I live in Elgin which is about 20 minutes from Columbia. You only asked about Charleston, so here is just a touch about it.
    Charleston (or Chahhlston as we call it) is a lovely city. A couple of years ago I took one of those cheesy ghost tours with my kids and we had a blast.

Compared to other parts of SC, Charleston, also known as the Holy City, is more expensive to live, but not much. It's called the Holy City because no matter where you stand in downtown Charleston, you see a Church.

Our winters are mild. If we get snow, it is about January or February and usually melts in a day. Our summers are HOT HOT HOT though. Good heavens.

I hope you love SC as much as I do. :bigsmile:
    Haha! I think I'll move there just so I can say I'm from Chahhlston, haha sounds fancy :D
    Thank you for responding! I love the hot weather, which is one of the main reasons from moving from this snow filled state! :p
    And since we are on mfp, I hope to look great in a bikini by the time I move next year!

I sing in my church choir every Wednesday, and I LOVE it.
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    Charleston has it all, beaches, culture, history, FANTASTIC resturaunts a KILLER part scene.

For the person who went to Charleston Souther it used to be a Bible School, hence the rules.

Hopefully the fantastic restaurants aren't fantastically high caloried ;) Thank you so much for everything!
  • DeterminedAshley
    Options
    Greenville Goodies

*Plenty of restaurants and bars
    *Variety of religious establishments
    *Weather is usually pretty good (you have all four seasons, nothing too crazy)
    *It is cheap to live there. My 1 bedroom/2story brick townhouse was $495 a month
    *Great place to raise a family
    *Schools close by are USC Upstate, Greenville Tech, Clemson
    *Not too many bad, unsafe areas in town

Greenville Not so Goodies

*It IS a smaller town with not a huge diversity in people/cultures
    *We do have an airport but it's small and rather expensive to fly in and out of
    *Nightlife is limited as downtown consists of one street...aptly named Main Street
    *It can get very cold in the winter (30s or below)
    *Jobs - - there are only a handful of big companies (Jacobs, Fluor, Michelin, BMW) so if times get tough you are in a small population all fighting for the same jobs

Hope this helps!

The best part about Greenville is the cost, most definitely, We pay $600 a month right now, and I'm sure it is much less than what you have! I am used to negative weather, so I will take the 30's any day! :P

Do you know if the job scene is better in Charleston?
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Options
    I will add that Greenville is prob the second best city in SC, but it is missing one thing that Charleston has....beach/ocean.