What counts as exercise?

Options
Hello everyone.

I´m working out everyday doing 30 day shred but these last couple of days, I´ve been doing some serious painting, decorating and heavy cleaning. If I added it all up (excluding normal exercise) it would total 9 hours a day since Thursday last week.

I have logged a couple of times the calories burned but not sure if I should.

Also, these past 3 days, I´ve actually gained weight whilst sticking within my normal calorie range.

a) Should I be logging any of this?
b) Should I up my calorie intake on busy days?

Thanks

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    A: no.
    What you described is life, not exercise.

B: that depends.
    If you find yourself ravenous on days when your activity is higher, a slightly increased caloric intake might not be a bad idea. That said, if it's just mild hunger, you may benefit from ignoring it.
  • lizjjam
    lizjjam Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response.

I haven´t felt the need to eat more so I´ll stick within range as normal. I was a bit worried about the weight gain more which is what prompted the question. Hopefully it´s just water from painting in 38 degrees sun!!
  • baldzach
    baldzach Posts: 1,841 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought... what do you have entered as your basic activity level? I have a desk job, so mine is set at "sedentary." So anything above and beyond sedentary "counts." However, if your activity level is set at "moderately active" (or whatever the terminology is), then you'd only log things that go above and beyond your usual "moderate activity."

That said, I have to be pretty darn active for the whole day to log anything other than my actual workouts, like working for several hours doing hard yard work (moving stones, digging trenches, whatever) or its equivalent to log anything that's not an intentional workout.

Hope that helps, kinda.
  • lizjjam
    Options
    Thanks Baldzack!

Yes, I have my activity level marked as sedentary and I´ve been losing consistantly for a few weeks eating between 1300 - 1500 calories a day. My BMR is apparently 1669 so I avoid going over 1500 even on heavy duty days.

I teach so I´m normally on my feet all day but I´ve been on vacation since December so I´ve really been sedentary since then. Right now, this stuff I´m talking about has been out of the norm for me. I´m concerned whether my body is holding onto calories as fat rather than burning them with this change in routine.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Thanks Baldzack!

Yes, I have my activity level marked as sedentary and I´ve been losing consistantly for a few weeks eating between 1300 - 1500 calories a day. My BMR is apparently 1669 so I avoid going over 1500 even on heavy duty days.

OK...This is so wrong.....If your BMR (what you would burn while in a coma) is 1669, WHY would you eat less than that?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    exercises are things you do to actually get exercise. not just things you do.

if you want to get in shape, you have to actually DO exercise, not just start counting things you already do as exercise.

Happy Birthday Lea!!

1281350382_9.gif
  • lizjjam
    Options
    Thanks Baldzack!

OK...This is so wrong.....If your BMR (what you would burn while in a coma) is 1669, WHY would you eat less than that?

This is the amount my nutritionist has advised firstly. Secondly, as I said, this is "apparently" according to MFP and their calculations are also that I should eat around 1300 calories
  • lizjjam
    Options
    exercises are things you do to actually get exercise. not just things you do.

if you want to get in shape, you have to actually DO exercise, not just start counting things you already do as exercise.

I agree, which is why I am actually working out daily as mentioned in first post.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think it's a slippery slope and a disservice to yourself to count anything but intentional exercise as exercise.

If your activity level is abnormally high and you're extra hungry from it, feel free to eat a bit more that day until you feel satiated.
  • lizjjam
    Options
    Thanks Morebean13. Like I said, I don´t feel hungrier so haven´t eaten extra. Just found it strange to gain when I´m more active than usual.
  • gioisa75
    gioisa75 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I only count things that elevate my heart rate for an extended period of time. If I paint for 4 hours I do not count that as exercise since my heart rate is not at an elevated level.
  • lizjjam
    Options
    I only count things that elevate my heart rate for an extended period of time. If I paint for 4 hours I do not count that as exercise since my heart rate is not at an elevated level.

Good advice there. Congratulations on your 89lb loss!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    What is your activity level? If you have yourself set at sedentary and you go off and do a bunch of physical labor, it's not unreasonable to log it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Thanks Morebean13. Like I said, I don´t feel hungrier so haven´t eaten extra. Just found it strange to gain when I´m more active than usual.

It's almost impossible to have gained real weight in 3 days- it's either water weight or extra food in your digestive system.
  • lizjjam
    Options
    @Morebean let´s hope it´s water!

@georgiana it is at sedentary, thanks
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    If you are doing something that you don't normally do that either increases your heart rate or makes you sore then you can count it as exercise, especially if you are doing it for extended periods of time. And if you are on the net calorie system (as in you eat your exercise calories back) you will probably want to eat at some of them back (maybe 25%).
  • mandylooo
    mandylooo Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Here's a thought... what do you have entered as your basic activity level? I have a desk job, so mine is set at "sedentary." So anything above and beyond sedentary "counts." However, if your activity level is set at "moderately active" (or whatever the terminology is), then you'd only log things that go above and beyond your usual "moderate activity."

Exactly it all counts when it comes to burning calories. Just follow the above and don't log it twice. A low burn over a long period is still a burn.
  • lizjjam
    Options
    @astrampe Hey, sorry, you´re right. Not BMR. Calories to maintain weight is 1669. Don´t know what the name for this is.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    @astrampe Hey, sorry, you´re right. Not BMR. Calories to maintain weight is 1669. Don´t know what the name for this is.

TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure.

It's probably water from being out in the sun. When I go beach combing I'm always heavier for the next couple of days. If you're staying in your calorie limit don't worry about it, it'll go back down.
  • lizjjam
    Options
    @AngelAmberL Thanks for that. I always wondered what TDEE stood for! Now I know! lol! Yep, the weight went back down today so definately water weight thank God!! WTG on your loss!