fat totals

Options
Is it really necessary to get as many grams of fat as my macros say? Am I slowing myself down my keeping a lower fat and lower carb diet? My diary is open if you want to look...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's all about calories. Whether you get them from fat, carbs or protein it doesn't matter so much. Protein aids muscle retention, carbs protein energy and fat provides skin and organ health. They all are beneficial and there is NO reason to go low fat. In fact, low fat can cause issues; like gallbladder stones.
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty individual. I aim for 40% fat, 30% of the other 2. It looks like your fat sources are from good sources, which is my focus usually. I don't eat anything made lowfat/ nonfat. I figured out how much protein I should eat for my body and goals, and then adjusted the other two to where I was happy and felt like it was attainable. I like a slightly lower carb diet, and cheese, so I have higher fat. Since I really focused on food and raised my calories at the start of the year, I've definitely liked the results.

Edited to ad that the last few days are not a great representation of how I like to eat, but if you go back a few it does. Not that I don't like pizza and burgers, I just don't usually eat it all in one day.
  • greyoutside
    Options
    Eating fat WILL NOT MAKE YOU FAT. You definitely don't need to get as much fat as MFP suggests, but you also definitely don't need to limit your fat into to what MFP suggests. I try to eat a lot of healthy fat because it is a long lasting source of energy... meaning that it provides a lot of energy for your body to break down and keeps you feeling full longer. I keep tabs on cholesterol, sodium, and carbs (when I'm not running), but I don't worry about the fat totals at all. It's all about the calories.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    A lower fat AND lower carb diet means you have to increase your protein intake by quite a bit to meet your calorie goals. Have you done that? Most people agree protein intake should be a set number based on body and goals, and carbs/fats are used to fill the rest. Whether you choose low carb/high fat, moderate of both, or high carb/low fat is your choice, just do what makes you feel best. Keep in mind that seriously low levels of any of the 3 macros can cause problems.