Paleo people

Options
Do people who are eating paleo limit now many nuts and fruit they eat. Also, do you count calories?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do people who are eating paleo limit now many nuts and fruit they eat. Also, do you count calories?

Just because you are paleo doesn't mean calories don't apply. The premise is the amount of fats and protein you will will cause you to restrict calories. But I was still counting calories when I was paleo. I tried a few months without but I plateaud quickly. But nuts are calorie dense and fruits can add up quickly.

Since then, I reverted back to non paleo because there really was NO advantage to going paleo. And I missed my sandwiches.
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Funny you start this topic. I was just in a discussion with another paleo friend of mine about this very topic.

I am very new to my mock version of Paleo, 6 days in in fact.

I do count calories and I do not limit fruit or nuts although I don't eat a lot of nuts.

I don't plan to weigh in for another couple of weeks, but now I feel tempted just so that I am on the right track. I feel good and feel smaller, but I struggle with the scale and how it totally sets my mood. We shall see. :)

What about you, what do you do?
  • ladyfingers73
    ladyfingers73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Does Paleo have a guide for how many calories you should be consuming?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Does Paleo have a guide for how many calories you should be consuming?

Nope, it's based on the individual and their needs.
  • primal7
    primal7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It is up to the individual. Since their are many different Paleo versions out there.
    I do eat nuts but keep the amount very small. I eat nuts to help keep my carb in take up above 50.
    I eat no grains, dairy, or sugar except fruit
    I eat seeds, fat, protein, seasonal vegetables and fruit,
    I only have fruit seasonally. You would want to eat fruit sparsely since it is a sugar. Even a "good" sugar.
    I do document my food daily. I did this at first to get an idea of what my calorie in take needed to be to lose weight. If you go to low then you go into starvation mode and any calories taken in are stored by your body. But most Paleo individuals do not count calories. I now use the food diary to make sure my fat, protein, sugar and carb intake is where it needs to be.

It was hard to learn it was OK to have protein and ( that awful three letter word) fat

I try to remember JERF ( just eat real food) this helps me with staying on Paleo.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It is up to the individual. Since their are many different Paleo versions out there.
    I do eat nuts but keep the amount very small. I eat nuts to help keep my carb in take up above 50.
    I eat no grains, dairy, or sugar except fruit
    I eat seeds, fat, protein, seasonal vegetables and fruit,
    I only have fruit seasonally. You would want to eat fruit sparsely since it is a sugar. Even a "good" sugar.
    I do document my food daily. I did this at first to get an idea of what my calorie in take needed to be to lose weight. If you go to low then you go into starvation mode and any calories taken in are stored by your body. But most Paleo individuals do not count calories. I now use the food diary to make sure my fat, protein, sugar and carb intake is where it needs to be.

It was hard to learn it was OK to have protein and ( that awful three letter word) fat

I try to remember JERF ( just eat real food) this helps me with staying on Paleo.

In all fairness there is no reason to restrict fruit. Sugar does not prevent weight loss unless you have a metabolic issue. Sugar equals calories and pending calories in < calorie out, fat loss is inevitable.