How far would you drive to go to the gym?

Options
I know that some people have enough motivation to drive 15 miles to the gym every day. Some of us have the motivation, just not the time. How long does it take you to get to your gym? How far is 'too far' for you? I'm thinking of switching gyms, but they're all 5+ miles away. Worth it?

Thanks for sharing!

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    0 miles.

Mine was 1.5 miles away.
    I built a gym in my garage anyway because I was sick of driving there.
  • iffy8
    iffy8 Posts: 64
    Options
    17 minutes to be exact
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Luckily for me, I have one that's within ten minutes of my apartment, as well as one within eight miles of my job. Makes life easier, considering that I work about 30 miles from home.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    @wellbert: I WISH! I'm stuck in an apartment with a gym that's *so* old the weights fall off the bench on their own. Not enough people go to do a petition, either :explode:

@iffy8: WHOA. That's a little far for me /:
  • Brianna716
    Brianna716 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I didn't join a gym until they built one 0.7 miles from my house. I'll be moving soon, but I'll probably stay at the same gym as long as it's less than a ten minute drive.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    My gym is downstairs in my garage, so I never have the excuse that it's just too far or that I don't have time to go.

As for how far I'd be willing to drive, it totally depends on the gym. I'd probably drive up to 30 minutes for a situation that suited me. I have pretty much zero tolerance for globo gyms like Planet Fitness, so I wouldn't walk across the street to go to one of those. But an independent gym with badass trainers who only work with athletes who have actual, measurable goals and make consistent progress toward those goals ... yeah, I'd spend a lot of time in the car for one of those.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    when i was at school, it was about a 10-15 minute walk to the gym on campus.

here, i have 2 gyms, about equidistant. 5 minutes-ish.

farthest i'd drive? depends how good the gym is..maximum 20 minutes. sometimes it's hard to find a gym with a real weight area.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    I don't have a gym membership anymore. I work out in my house or outside.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LEA!!
    x2kvF.gif
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nearest gym is about 20 min away. Not worth it.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    and I would drive 500 miles, and I would drive 500 more...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I have to commute to and from work about an hour each way...driving 15-20 minutes to the gym is no biggie. My gym is more or less en-route to home after work so it's just part of the drive...maybe 5-10 minutes out of my way with lights and traffic. The only time I'm really going out of my way too much is on weekends. There are gyms closer to my house, but the gym I go to is all kinds of awesome and not overly crowded, plus they have all kinds of activities and what not for my kiddos when I'm working out and a "daddy and me gym time" every other Sunday that I attend with my toddler.
  • Touched670
    Touched670 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I live in the sticks and drive 22 minutes to get to the closest gym! You gotta do what you gotta do =D
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I have to commute to and from work about an hour each way...driving 15-20 minutes to the gym is no biggie. My gym is more or less en-route to home after work so it's just part of the drive...maybe 5-10 minutes out of my way with lights and traffic. The only time I'm really going out of my way too much is on weekends. There are gyms closer to my house, but the gym I go to is all kinds of awesome and not overly crowded,

This is pretty much me. I have a crappy gym just down the road about 2-3 minutes. OK, maybe it's not crappy, but I was unimpressed with the sales pitch - particularly where they wouldn't let me have a copy of the price schedule to compare with the numerous other gyms in the area. My gym is across town, but that just means I get on the highway to go to work, instead of the back roads I normally take. All things considered, it adds 5-10 minutes to my already hour+ drive - no biggie.
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Mine is 20min. Was 10 but I moved! Great gym worth the few extra
    minutes.
  • chgn4me
    chgn4me Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Next door... Well one house over, across a small street and through one church parking lot that shares with the gym... It seems like a waste to drive there so I walk.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Mine was on the way to work, then switched to the Y 5 miles away.
    Now I just use my back porch gym and spend the money I would have spent to buy more workout toys.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I drove about 25 minutes once to meet a friend at a particular gym, but then her schedule changed so we never met, and it just wasn't worth it.
  • WannaBLoser2013
    Options
    2 blocks
  • silencethelamb
    silencethelamb Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My gym is 12 miles away,but totally worth it!
  • stewartjl
    Options
    Mine is about 15 minutes and I don't mind driving that distance at all because it is so worth it.