Coke Zero: Your Thoughts...

Options
lukasmac
lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
I have given up soda for 6 months and have not had a craving until recently... I decided to break down and buy a few cans of Coke Zero.

Not the best, but has subsided my cravings.

Any nutritional thoughts/feedback on Coke Zero?

Replies

• vjh431
    vjh431 Posts: 38
    Options
    Well regular soda is just sugar water but diet soda's are just as bad because of the chemical content (sodium & aspartame). There's no perfect soda out there unfortunately but you could try light fruit juices, herbal tea, or something out of the ordinary to diversify what your normally accustomed to.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    some people have done carbonated water and mixed in lemon juice, or whatever other natural flavoring they want, as a healthier substitute to soda.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Any cola soda will leach calcium from your bones and darken your teeth.

But, if you are going to drink a cola, I guess it's better to go for one without sugar.

Personally, I think all soda is garbage and I'm not willing to put it in my body. :happy:
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    just say no.

i personally think soda is the devil. 6 months is way to long to just go back to drinking it!

Coke Zero has about half the aspartame but has more acesulfame k which is another artificial sweeter, and just as bad.
  • empiremom
    empiremom Posts: 52
    Options
    seriously at one time i was a 2 liter a day coke addict.

after a series of events...i went cold turkey and quit.

then i found this...take the time to watch it. it will answer the argument for soft drinks in general.

i wish you the best!
    laura

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpoAtwVyzZI
  • eyemadreamer
    eyemadreamer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    i agree with the posters, just say no.

save it for a treat when you eat out or something. don't buy them for your home.
  • richmondhillgal
    Options
    I allow myself 1 diet coke with splenda a day and on the weekend I may have 2 if I feel generous with myself. Moderation is key though. I also drink more than a gallon of water a day which helps a little.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,988 Member
    Options
    :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: Just say no
    there's nothing in soda, diet or otherwise that's good for your body.
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    thank you for the advice... a minor weal moment, but I shall overcome...
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    My thoughts on Coke Zero:

ZERO COKE!!

(Real Coke is probably better for you... I try to avoid carbonated anything, but I've never been a big drinker of the stuff.)

Congrats on your success so far lukasmac!
  • sheri3762
    sheri3762 Posts: 159
    Options
    I was also a huge fan of coke. I would have up to 6 a day! I quite drinking it in December, but, I do have usually 1 over the weekend at some point. I have found that the longer I'm away from it, the less of a craving I have. Even when I have one on the weekends, I never drink it all. Its just to sweet for me now. Mabye this would work for you. I don't order a diet coke, I get the real thing and after about 4 or 5 sips i'm usually done. For me its like a treat I really didn't want to give up, but, like I said, as time goes by, it just isn't appealing to me as much! Now I drink crystal lite when i want something sweet. I'm sure it has artifical stuff in it as well but it tastes good and it only has 35 sodium in it. Unfortunately, a lot of things we use to eat and drink are bad for us, but, as individuals, we jsut have to figure out waht we really don't want to give up and figure out a way to have it once in a while in order to keep from binging! good luck!
  • 100x2xLose
    Options
    Yes, it has chemicals, blah blah. *insert generic "all natural alternatives"

It all depends on how much you're drinking and how often. I've given up my Diet Coke habit (I was a 3-5 can a day girl), but I still love it. It's only been a week, but I dropped a ton of water weight once I stopped drinking that sweet, sweet nectar of the gods.

That being said, I still allow it every once in a while. I find it's already too sweet and bubbly for me. I'm down to the point where I can only manage a half can.

Go ahead and drink one! I can pretty much guarantee that you'll go right off it again. You won't feel deprived, and no, your bones won't collapse in on themselves, your teeth won't rot out of your head, and you won't die a horrible, synthetic sweetener induced death.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Realistically, I don't think a can or two a week is going to kill you. I bet most people absorb just as many crappy chemicals into their bodies through the plastics, pesticides, smog, etc. they are exposed to on a daily basis. That said, like most everyone else has said, don't drink it regularly and think you are being healthy. But it doesn't sound like that's what you're doing.